• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Radios Sound Way Better Than Kenwood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE7TJK

I'm a tech for a large Kenwood dealer (and Harris/Tait). We firmware update and align every single radio we sell and install, so they are set up correctly.

I agree with the majority here; someone threw a codeplug in a radio and called it good. Not good service.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
There is a Harris P25 Phase 1 & 2 system that is used by a another county I listen to that is close by and it sounds like half of the time some of the audio sounds really quiet and loud than others. Not sure if that is how the tech programmed the system to be like that but its like...I agree Motorola has the better audio sounding than a Kenwood, Harris and etc.

Last edited:

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
There is a Harris P25 Phase 1 & 2 system that is used by a another county I listen to that is close by and it sounds like half of the time some of the audio sounds really quiet and loud than others. Not sure if that is how the tech programmed the system to be like that but its like...I agree Motorola has the better audio sounding than a Kenwood, Harris and etc.

Sounds like an AGC issue. I'm not familiar with Harris subscriber programming but if I were to guess, they're using AGC on receive.

For what it's worth, I've found XPR7550Es to have serious issues in high-noise industrial environments that do not seem to go away with audio parameter changes. EFJ 5100ESs had no such issue, but those are different tiers of radio even if the 7550E is much newer. 100% intelligibility with a 5100ES speaker mic a couple feet from a non-muffled Deutz F4L912W on an underground haul truck at full throttle, AGC was on and other settings were default.

Even a few old TK-360Gs we have are reportedly doing great in a rather loud processing plant. Those were deployed to offset a shortage of XPR6350s and somehow seem to be outperforming the Motorolas, which screams "bad codeplug" to me. TRBO portables are highly susceptible to poor setup in my experience.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sounds like an AGC issue. I'm not familiar with Harris subscriber programming but if I were to guess, they're using AGC on receive.

We had a network tech that would talk very loud into his radio (MTS-2000). One night I went in, took his radio, turned the AGC on and put it back. I got a few thank-you's from the few that knew what I did. Radio was used in low noise environments so it worked well.

I shut the AGC's off on our Kenwood's.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Ford, Chevy, Mopar, Lamborghini or Yugo, they can get you there, in radioland it's pretty much the same thing, it all comes down to configuration, and price of the model.

RFI-EMI-GUY

We had a network tech that would talk very loud into his radio (MTS-2000). One night I went in, took his radio, turned the AGC on and put it back. I got a few thank-you's from the few that knew what I did. Radio was used in low noise environments so it worked well.

I shut the AGC's off on our Kenwood's.

There is no fix for the low talker..

Ghost117

Feed Provider
I'm a tech for a large Kenwood dealer (and Harris/Tait). We firmware update and align every single radio we sell and install, so they are set up correctly.

I agree with the majority here; someone threw a codeplug in a radio and called it good. Not good service.
Ok, So I happened to be in the downtown area of this particular county again and was monitoring when a pursuit ended right where my car was parked. So obviously I couldn't go anywhere and was walking around being a snoop while I waited for the officers to get out of the way and I glanced at their portables, Kenwood NX-200's with KMC-41 Speaker Mics. After I get home and went back to the archive and heard the entire incident and wow, I don't know how anyone can use these radios, lol.
Please, have you ever had any of your radios sound like this? This is absolutely horrendous. Sounds like a tin can with a string attached.
Same county, same radios, same setup as before.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Ok, So I happened to be in the downtown area of this particular county again and was monitoring when a pursuit ended right where my car was parked. So obviously I couldn't go anywhere and was walking around being a snoop while I waited for the officers to get out of the way and I glanced at their portables, Kenwood NX-200's with KMC-41 Speaker Mics. After I get home and went back to the archive and heard the entire incident and wow, I don't know how anyone can use these radios, lol.
Please, have you ever had any of your radios sound like this? This is absolutely horrendous. Sounds like a tin can with a string attached.

I'm wondering if my ears are just used to digital after using TRBO and P25 so much over the last year, but that wasn't bad. A little bit muddy but on par with TRBO, especially first-generation. Do you know if that agency uses 12.5 kHz or 6.25 kHz NXDN?

Ghost117

Feed Provider
I'm wondering if my ears are just used to digital after using TRBO and P25 so much over the last year, but that wasn't bad. A little bit muddy but on par with TRBO, especially first-generation. Do you know if that agency uses 12.5 kHz or 6.25 kHz NXDN?
What??? That is ANALOG 😂😂😂

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I wonder what it sounds like on the actual officers radios. Yup, I have multiple radios that sound slightly different due to the DSP or lack there of on analog across various models, brands and receiving due to the various models and brands

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like normal Police traffic. It also sounds like the Officer has a deeper voice and does not talk as clear as the Dispatcher.
I have heard Motorola sound worse. If you think that is bad just wait until you get you the same Officer on P25, DMR or NXDN.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

What are you using for a receiver?

Our PD is using NX-210's with the KMC-41's and they sound fine.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø

For what it's worth, I've found XPR7550Es to have serious issues in high-noise industrial environments that do not seem to go away with audio parameter changes. EFJ 5100ESs had no such issue, but those are different tiers of radio even if the 7550E is much newer. 100% intelligibility with a 5100ES speaker mic a couple feet from a non-muffled Deutz F4L912W on an underground haul truck at full throttle, AGC was on and other settings were default.

Even a few old TK-360Gs we have are reportedly doing great in a rather loud processing plant. Those were deployed to offset a shortage of XPR6350s and somehow seem to be outperforming the Motorolas, which screams "bad codeplug" to me. TRBO portables are highly susceptible to poor setup in my experience.

Not sure if it's a AGC issue or just how the system installer/tech setup to make some of the talkgroups sound like that. Half of the time I have to turn the volume up and down to listen to them.

Ghost117

Feed Provider
What are you using for a receiver?

Our PD is using NX-210's with the KMC-41's and they sound fine.
And the following clips were recording on a Uniden BC355N connected to a rooftop monopole antenna tuned for VHF, with the built in 3.5mm audio jack plugged into a Dell G7 Gaming Laptop running Audacity and recording the direct Line In input in mp3. No interference between the laptop, the scanner, or the antenna. All plugged into a grounded surge protector, so there's no buzzing from 3.5mm not being grounded.

Ghost117

Feed Provider
Its not the radio it is the user the dispatcher sounds normal. This system sounds like 90% of the Analog Systems I have heard in my 9 state area I monitor.
I agree, the dispatcher sounds like an analog radio should sound. I don't know what those portables are all about though.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Audio doesn't really sound too bad to me for a public safety radio system. I can make out all transmissions clearly and that all really matters that the officers get their messages received correctly.

A lot of audio issues for police are caused by the way they use the radios and not on the radios. Many officers hold the mics why to far from their mouths or talk with the radio's speaker mic with out being close to it. In closing proper radio techniques go a long way in the receiving end being able to clearly hear the transmission.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
A lot of audio issues for police are caused by the way they use the radios and not on the radios. Many officers hold the mics why to far from their mouths or talk with the radio's speaker mic with out being close to it. In closing proper radio techniques go a long way in the receiving end being able to clearly hear the transmission.

When I was at my old agency there was this one who would always have her speaker mic on her chest with her window rolled down, no matter how many times I'd ask to repeat, she'd always keep it on her chest, wind blowing into it and barely able to hear or understand anything.

Eventually it got to the point where I could figure out what she meant and would just acknowledge. Other shift dispatchers always asked how I knew what she was saying lol..

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Having done this for 30 years, there's so many variables involved that the opinion of a scanner listener doesn't really matter.
I get it, the casual listener notices that some radio users sound better/worse than others. Said scanner listener looks at the brand radio being used and comes to the false conclusion that:
1. All Motorola radios are perfect
2. All Kenwood radios are garbage.

None of that means anything unless you've actually spent time as a professional setting up radios for public safety use, and understand all the variables involved. I get paid to do this stuff. I've set up hundreds of Kenwood and hundreds of Motorola radios over my career. Set up correctly, a scanner hobbyist isn't going to be able to tell which radio is which unless they are actively looking at the person holding the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.