MRRS System (MTA PD)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So far I've only really seen it happen with the MRRS system, not with two ISSI connected ASTRO 25 systems that have a few shared talkgroups. So maybe it's an L3Harris thing, who knows. 26D/26E seem to be a bit quirky compared with every ASTRO 25 system I track/monitor.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Zone 4 shows up as "isolated" often in Unitrunker, DSD+, SDRTrunk, etc. Not sure why, but even when it shows that condition, it's still carrying traffic from other cells such as Troop NYC.

Finest23186

Premium Subscriber
Idk if I’m in the right spot but I can not pick up any of the mrrs system on my uniden436hp. I can hear p25 talk groups for 60control and PD using analog still but I am not getting anything on simulcast. The scanner is new and I had it programmed by uniden. As far as I can see the frequencies and talk groups are all correct just don’t her anything.

Thomasjstroh

Premium Subscriber
Idk if I’m in the right spot but I can not pick up any of the mrrs system on my uniden436hp. I can hear p25 talk groups for 60control and PD using analog still but I am not getting anything on simulcast. The scanner is new and I had it programmed by uniden. As far as I can see the frequencies and talk groups are all correct just don’t her anything.
set SQ to "0" it worked on SDS200?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I can not pick up any of the mrrs system on my uniden436hp.
Not really the best scanner for simulcast systems and there are exceptions.
The scanner is new and I had it programmed by uniden.
Afaik, Uniden does not programm scanners. Perhaps another company?
As far as I can see the frequencies and talk groups are all correct just don’t her anything.
Where are you located? County/State. And what agencies are you trying to listen to?

Finest23186

Premium Subscriber
Not really the best scanner for simulcast systems and there are exceptions.

Afaik, Uniden does not programm scanners. Perhaps another company?

Where are you located? County/State. And what agencies are you trying to listen to
Westchester. Trying to listen Rye, PC, up to mid westchester area

Finest23186

Premium Subscriber
Westchester. Trying to listen Rye, PC, up to mid westchester area
So I have a scanner that I thought would be good for p25 and for mrrs. I’ll be honest I wasnt aware all these agencies were going to this system. So this scanner is useless and I was told this would be good.

k2hz

Database Admin
So I have a scanner that I thought would be good for p25 and for mrrs. I’ll be honest I wasnt aware all these agencies were going to this system. So this scanner is useless and I was told this would be good.
Have you set the scanner just for the local MRSS zone? If you are attempting to scan all zones it is almost guaranteed to miss calls. Same with mixing scanning the trunked with conventional. Start out with one thing at a time to see if you can hear the system reliably.
The 436 may have simulcast problems unless you are fortunate to be in a good location so you need to first see how it behaves on the local MRSS zone.

seagravebuff60

Short Bus Reject
Feed Provider
Yeah, the 436 is not really the best option. I even have issues with it listening to A66 or County PD VHF with it.
Oh, and that's when my 436 isn't out for repair.

Finest23186

Premium Subscriber
I’m scanning just zone 3 and nothing. So I guess I should have done better research and talk to you all before buying this scanner. Ugh

RadioComm

Premium Subscriber
I’m scanning just zone 3 and nothing. So I guess I should have done better research and talk to you all before buying this scanner. Ugh
I have a 436 and it receives MRRS fine and understand it is not as good as my SDS or Unication. I highly suggest purchasing a Remtronix 7/800 antenna or a Diamond SRH701A antenna.
Now, the best advice for the 436 is that if you are close to a tower site, it will work OK. However, if you are in the middle of multiple sites, it will most likely not due to the simulcast overload of the receiver.

seagravebuff60

Short Bus Reject
Feed Provider
Also, remember that the MTA system was never designed for Wide-area coverage with Multiple sites at high elevations. Most, if not all, sites are designed to cover MTA Properties, and that's about it. They aren't monster sites; they are likely just a tower not that high next to the train tracks on a shed or something.

I understand that they are now adding some subsites around Westchester, at least, to improve coverage for those departments/areas that have terrible coverage. Ie. the West side of Dobbs Ferry, the Village of Ardsley, Parts of the town of Eastchester, the Town of Yorktown, the Town of Harrison, etc. And the reception/coverage has improved a tad recently in areas that were poor before.

Prior to Yorktown PD going online, they added a subsite on the north side of town to improve coverage there. Also, I think they are adding a site at one of the Golf Courses in the Southwest section to improve coverage there.

But basically, if you aren't near any tracks (looking at you Yorktown), you really aren't getting any coverage.

I digress...

KC2GSP

Premium Subscriber
From all my experience, scanners really do struggle with this p25 simulcast distortion so bad that I immediately appreciated the difference with the Unications.