MTA Metro-North Railroad questions

KC2zZe

Question 1:
On 160.9500 (Hudson Line), I hear references to what I believe is "Poughkeepsie S & S" around the Poughkeepsie station. What does S & S mean?

Question 2:
On 160.8000 (Port Jervis Line)... M-NRR was doing maintenance on the radio towers around me. They would call out to "ROC Rail Communications" as part of their radio check procedure. Who/what is ROC?

Question 3:
Also on 160.8000... after a train passes over a defect detector every roughly ten miles or so along the Main Line and the detector announces the results of its findings, I hear the engineer of the train that was just checked get on the radio and acknowledge the results found by the detector (thankfully almost always "No Defects" followed by "Detector Out."). The detectors are of relatively low power output, so only the passing train (and anyone nearby the right-of-way) can hear the results. Who is the engineer talking to when he acknowledges the detector's findings? Is the defect detector programmed to expect an answer back?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Question 2:
On 160.8000 (Port Jervis Line)... M-NRR was doing maintenance on the radio towers around me. They would call out to "ROC Rail Communications" as part of their radio check procedure. Who/what is ROC?

Most likely "Rail Operations Center."

Question 3:
Also on 160.8000... after a train passes over a defect detector every roughly ten miles or so along the Main Line and the detector announces the results of its findings, I hear the engineer of the train that was just checked get on the radio and acknowledge the results found by the detector (thankfully almost always "No Defects" followed by "Detector Out."). The detectors are of relatively low power output, so only the passing train (and anyone nearby the right-of-way) can hear the results. Who is the engineer talking to when he acknowledges the detector's findings? Is the defect detector programmed to expect an answer back?

Nobody specific. It's just a general broadcast to indicate that he heard the detector, for situational awareness of other trains in the area; similar to trains calling signal indications on the radio.

Back in the day, Conrail crews did this; most other railroads were calling signals. This is a NORAC rulebook practice that carried over to Metro North (which may use the NORAC rules). I do still hear crews on CSX (primarily) answering the detectors from time to time, probably old Conrail hands.

APEXNext

Premium Subscriber
Question 1:
On 160.9500 (Hudson Line), I hear references to what I believe is "Poughkeepsie S & S" around the Poughkeepsie station. What does S & S mean?

Question 2:

Question 3:
I have work for Metro North as District D RTC for 19 years and I have never heard of "Poughkeepsie S & S" on the radio. that's a new one for me.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:
Not sure on #1. Tom is probably right about ROC.

For #3, the conductor is usually not in the cab, but must pay attention to what is going on at all times. MNRR uses cab signalling (indicator in the cab governs speed and movement) so more than likely you won't hear them acknowledge signals over the radio since there are few field signals. But by being out of the cab, the conductor has to acknowledge essential communications, and defect detectors are one of them.

If you listen to a train on Amtrak, for example, on long distance routes, and you're not far from the train, you'll hear the conductor acknowledge the engineer's calling a signal out, defect detector reports, and the conductor will remind & relay the engineer of upcoming speed restrictions. They also have copies of each railroad's communication form (EC-1 on CSX, for example) for grade crossing failures, temporary speed restrictions, etc) that they will copy along with the engineer.

Mike