Much needed input needed on base antenna setup & coax-Thanks so much for your input!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jody_clarke

Much needed input needed on base antenna setup & coax-Thanks so much for your input!!

For those of you who would like to tell me "Hey why don't you do a little research before you start a new thread" my reply would be I've read as much as possible due to very limited internet via my phone (16kbs down) due to tornadoes that have recently ripped through our county "Cullman, AL" destroying utilities and infrastructure, so please bear with me. On to my questions, for starters not that it matters our county and city police have recently switched over to p25 digital-VHF. Am currently having to use a mag-mount mobile antenna on metal roof to receive anything as I live in a rural area approx. 20 miles- line of sight (in a pretty steep valley no less) from where I want to be receiving most all of my radio traffic. The digital signals come in crystal clear w/ mag-mount on metal roof, while the other analog public safety, utilities, local airport, etc. am having trouble pulling them in w/out lots of static. Am looking for best option for wide-band omni-directional base mount antenna to mount approx. 5 feet above roof? Have used Radio Shacks dis-cone antenna w/ success in past but not at this location, have also seen folks referencing a scanntenna, or something to that effect, one made by comet, as well as other dis-cone antennas made by antennacraft-sp? My price range is $100 or less- are all these discone antennas (in the $70-$90 price range) about the same? Everyones suggestions are most welcome, the other question I had was I will be needing to run over 50 feet of coax closer to 85 feet am looking at some TerraWave TWS-400 -RG8/U low loss coax @$.59/foot with 1.2db losses @100 Mghz for a 100 foot run which actually has better signal loss values than there $.89/foot Belden 9914 from theantennafarm.com? Am wide open to suggestions on the coax end as well, don't mind spending a bit more for quality coax if need be as it goes w/out saying I simply want to retain as much signal as possible. Only other thing I can think to ask is If I'm not mistaken most antennas have a pl-259? connector while I'll need a bnc connector for the other end- is there a bnc connector that can be crimped directly onto the thick RG-8/U cable or will there be another adapter involved in that process? BTW- my newest and most used receiver is a RS Pro-106, will also occasionally be using an old AOR-AR8000, ICOM ICR1, and a RS Pro-84.
Thanks in advance for any input you can give me on any and or all of these inquiries as it's much appreciated, J. Clarke

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

jody_clarke

Thanks mike_s104, I've seen that antenna before, have always had the idea beaten into my head that you get what you pay for which in most cases is true. Not that I would doubt your opinion considering you definitely seem to know what your talking about and have the posts to back it up, that's just a hard concept to get away from $26 is a great deal do you have any experience w/ this antenna personally or second hand knowledge of it's worthiness, or does it simply have solid reputation? I certainly could use the discount saving the $$ I would normally spend on a traditional discone antenna, just want to ensure it will do as good a job at pulling in those far off analog signals. BTW- Was that Roger, I mean you in that attic on the radio,& mixing drinks in that photo http://www.hamradio.com/images_manuf/H0-004782A.jpg of the mobile/roof mount antenna? Regardless thanks for taking the time to respond, I do understand that their is no p25 antenna, that it's the freq. range/bands that you want to consider in an antenna, am also guessing makes zero difference whether it's a digital or analog signal your trying to fetch. Oh well, thanks again-J.Clarke

n5ims

My price range is $100 or less- are all these discone antennas (in the $70-$90 price range) about the same?

They all perform pretty much the same, although some may have greater range than others (often they add a longer whip to extend the range to lower VHF frequencies). One huge difference is how long they last.

The Radio Shack discone (RadioShack® Outdoor Scanner/Ham Discone Antenna - RadioShack.com) has elements made from hollow tubes that are crimped onto solid metal parts that screw onto the base of the antenna. These crimps don't last and the elements fall off easily when hit by large wind or brushed by nearby trees.

Others, like the Workman T601 (K1CRA Radio Store - Discone Antenna - Workman T601 / Tram 1410 / Jetstream JTD1 Details) are made of solid metal elements and generally last longer since there isn't a weak crimp connection to fail. Oddly enough, this antenna often sells for only $40 while the weaker RS is $75.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
If you want something inexpensive that WORKS, get yourself a stick of 1/2 or 3/4 copper pipe and the appropriate fittings and build your self a J-pole. I built one for my PSR-500 some time ago, and tuned it for around 154 MHz. It receives everything, including the digital channels clear as a bell, and thats set up inside the house. If you want it outside, you can use stainless hose clamps to mount it to a pole, or you can even hang it from a tree. There's all kinds of sites on the internet, just Google "copper J-pole". I believe there's also something here on the RR website Wiki page.

jody_clarke

Thanks everyone, so far I've got two solid votes for the ST-2 , one explanation about which is the better discone, and one DIY J-pole- which to be honest if I had the time I'd give that a whirl but I simply do not. Anyone else that would care to weigh in on which way I should go the ST-2 or discone feel free to. As well as the coax I mentioned in original post. Thanks, J.C

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Another vote for the ST-2. Cheap doesn't equal bad. The construction is cheaper to make than the fancy discones with their stainless steel construction, and they hold up in weather just as well. I have one here and even though my 2000 foot elevation helps, I easily receive over 120 miles away, and sometimes further. It's a good performer on the entire spectrum from low band VHF up to 800 mHz trunking systems.

Discones are great, but pricey. You just can't beat the price on the ST- if you shop around. I believe the coax is included and it's totally adequate for most use. It's a 300 ohm antenna (no wonder it looks like TV antenna construction!) with a balun so you can use 75-ohm coax, so you'd be buying TV coax for your long run.

If you are set on using RG-8 or something similar for your long coax run, you might consider just going with the discone since it will have no matching issues with the 50 ohm cable. The losses are least at VHF and most at UHF (and even more at 800 mHz), so you'll need to decide what's important to you. (Also, typically the lower the loss of the coax, the stiffer it gets. Good stuff may have issues making bends and turns, so consider that as well!)

For coax, check out The WireMan - Your source for coax, connectors, wire, baluns,and more! - I get all of my wire and coax from them. Lots of choices!

jody_clarke

Another vote for the ST-2. Cheap doesn't equal bad. The construction is cheaper to make than the fancy discones with their stainless steel construction, and they hold up in weather just as well. I have one here and even though my 2000 foot elevation helps, I easily receive over 120 miles away, and sometimes further. It's a good performer on the entire spectrum from low band VHF up to 800 mHz trunking systems.

Discones are great, but pricey. You just can't beat the price on the ST- if you shop around. I believe the coax is included and it's totally adequate for most use. It's a 300 ohm antenna (no wonder it looks like TV antenna construction!) with a balun so you can use 75-ohm coax, so you'd be buying TV coax for your long run.

If you are set on using RG-8 or something similar for your long coax run, you might consider just going with the discone since it will have no matching issues with the 50 ohm cable. The losses are least at VHF and most at UHF (and even more at 800 mHz), so you'll need to decide what's important to you. (Also, typically the lower the loss of the coax, the stiffer it gets. Good stuff may have issues making bends and turns, so consider that as well!)

For coax, check out The WireMan - Your source for coax, connectors, wire, baluns,and more! - I get all of my wire and coax from them. Lots of choices!

Thanks, for the info believe I'll be going with the ST-2, only I do want to run some low loss RG/8U coax as I will be running over 80 feet and am worried about signal loss. Forgive my ignorance, but are you telling me that with an RG8/U that I will have compatibility issues? I definitely do not won't to use RG-58 or 59 -whatever the cheap TV coax is- mike_S104 recommended a quality RG/6 cable but dang't I've been researching cable and feel I found a great cable with great low loss @100Mhz only 1.2 db for a 100 foot run @$.59/foot If you get a chance check out the live link on my original post for the Terrawire- TWS-400 perhaps that would be compatible although i believe it's just a vesrion of RG/8?. No doubt you guys know what you're yet talking about I simply haven't been able to find any RG/6 w/ compression connectors- I don't even know what compression connectors are and it takes me 15 min. just to google something w/ my limited internet access. Anyway, if you could perhaps explain in laymen s terms about the "issues" I might encounter it would be appreciated. And could you also describe what the heck a "balun" is? Have been involved in monitoring and at one point had my FCC aviation licence from when I was younger and involved in the communications part of the Cival Air Patrol, yet when it comes to the techtalk I'm completely lost. Thanks, again-J.C.

cgriggs

Bottom line, you gotta put up what is going to make your happy. If you don't you continously second guess yourself. So buy what you think you want and get it up so you can listen in! Good Luck

jody_clarke

Thanks Corey, I believe you are correct I tend to over think things, was told by antennacraft that the 50 ohm Terrawire would work fine- that yes their would be an imepedance offset ratio?? yet it wouldn't be enough to make that much difference. Either that or some low loss 75 ohm RG/11 coax, yet the RG/8 Terrawire is much cheaper and has better signal loss numbers. There I go again, Indeed I'm tired of talking, as I'm sure everyone is most likely tired of seeing me posts questioning their advice when you guys are the experts/amateurs so as you said it's time to take action- I'm really not as stubborn as I may be coming across just over analyzing/ over thinking which route to go. Thanks to all for your input. Although I do have another question about splitting my cable once it's down to ground level, as I want to be able to use radio in two separate rooms, to far away from each other to be dragging thick coax from room to room if this is even possible w/out noticeable signal losses. Will grudgingly start a new thread on this unless someone notices this post.Would research the subject if I had descent internet access so so very frustrating, as I'm weary of wearing out my welcome here, yet for now I believe I'm simply going to get some coax put up an antenna and take it from there.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, there's optimal -- and there's what works. Technically the ST2 is a 300 ohm impedance antenna, and they supply a balun to transform that to 75 ohm, which works fine with scanners. If it were me, I would use the RG-6.

Don't worry about overthinking stuff - it definitely is about making a decision you are happy with. We all have our experience, our opinions and our favorites, but there's no single best answer anyway.

On splitting - if you're just moving the same radio to different rooms, you should be fine. If you are talking using two radios, you typically want to use a splitter to isolate the radios from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.