must have scanner antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

I would not say that but the Omni-X probably works a bit better than a Discone on some freqs. Whether those freqs are where you concentrate most of your listening would have to be tested.

The Discone is not a bad antenna at all, it provides very consistent performance over most of its range and at the high end the pattern usually points up causing problems with 800MHz reception. Sure you can find antennas with much more gain than a Discone but you wont find any anywhere that cover the same omni directional bandwidth as a Discone.

The Discone also provides a very good match to the feedline over its entire range and if you use a preamp it will be less likely to oscillate or cause other problems compared to the same preamp on a spot tuned multiband scanner antenna.;

If the Omni-X works better than a Discone it would be beneficial to the seller if they could compare the antennas and document any improvement the Omni-X may have.
prcguy

So would it be safe to say the Omni -X would not be a bad choice and will perform much better then even the most expensive discone.

I am leaning towards the Omni –X. I wound some additional treads and had good things to say, its size and frequency coverage are also appealing.

Unless someone has any other strong recommendations or opinions against this antenna I hope to purchase in the next few weeks.

DPD1

So would it be safe to say the Omni -X would not be a bad choice and will perform much better then even the most expensive discone.

I am leaning towards the Omni –X. I wound some additional treads and had good things to say, its size and frequency coverage are also appealing.

Unless someone has any other strong recommendations or opinions against this antenna I hope to purchase in the next few weeks.

The only thing that may disappoint some is the lack of dedicated low band. But that is a trade-off on size. Considering the ever decreasing low-band, I just felt adding that was kind of a big physical hindrance just for the few remaining low-bands out there. Especially since, the biggest problem I hear from people is low visibility issues. That's not to say it won't get low at all, but it's not focused on it. I've always felt that the stuff that really needs to have things dedicated to it for best performance, are both the high stuff and low stuff. There's no "all band" antenna that is going to do as good as possible in all bands. Any all band antenna is a compromise. It's virtually impossible to build something that does all bands, is high gain, and is also omni. Though I know everybody would love that, and I would love to be smart enough to invent it... But it's just kind of the way nature works. Though I have some ideas that might be good, but just no time to work on them. There is such a huge variance of demands by people, considering each person's needs... It's almost impossible to make everybody happy with one thing. But I've considered something that would kind of allow people to customize something themselves, based on their needs. But it just takes a lot of time to work out everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.