My County Just Changed to Phase 2, what do I do?

rockfordpi

Several years ago I built a single dongle windows based trunking scanner for my friend (and before that a Linux Based). However, I was only able to do this due to lots of very good instructions and help posted here and elsewhere and have long since forgotten how I did it.

Until last week, this setup worked flawlessly. However, last week our County, Shelby County Alabama, Sheriff's Office switched from phase 1 to Phase 2 and his scanner no longer works.

Can someone point me to the resources/instructions for what I need to do to modify his system to monitor phase 2 traffic? He has a second Dongle if needed.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Do you recall the name of the software you installed on your friend's Windows PC? My first guess is you installed Unitrunker.

If required, consider using DSDPlus Fastlane or SDRTrunk.

wgbecks

it was SDR Trunk
If you're familiar with SDRTrunk and prefer to keep using this application, then it is advisable to upgrade to the most recent version
of the software, SDRTrunk v 0.6.0-alpha7 and rebuild your Shelby County TRS with a modulation type of LSM.

Precompiled binaries for Windows, OSX, and Linux can be downloaded from GitHub, although my preference is to build from source
where updates can be download and recompiled as updates are released.

A great alternative is OP25 if you have a Raspberry Pi or perhaps an older PC that can be imaged with Linux.

rockfordpi

If you're familiar with SDRTrunk and prefer to keep using this application, then it is advisable to upgrade to the most recent version
of the software, SDRTrunk v 0.6.0-alpha7 and rebuild your Shelby County TRS with a modulation type of LSM.

Precompiled binaries for Windows, OSX, and Linux can be downloaded from GitHub, although my preference is to build from source
where updates can be download and recompiled as updates are released.

A great alternative is OP25 if you have a Raspberry Pi or perhaps an older PC that can be imaged with Linux.

Thanks for the information! I probably will stick with windows. I have made a working OP25 in the past and have computers I can image, but I am not real good with Linux. Is there a better windows Alternative than SDRTrunk?

wgbecks

Thanks for the information! I probably will stick with windows. I have made a working OP25 in the past and have computers I can image, but I am not real good with Linux. Is there a better windows Alternative than SDRTrunk?
For a Phase-2 system, about the only alternative I can think of is DSDPlus Fastlane, but it appears that development has ceased in that there
have not been any updates released in just over a year now. Looks like abandonware.

LimaZulu

You can check DSD-FME which also does P25 Phase II

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Did any of the control channels change? I mean phase 2 systems are entered as phase 1 in sdrtrunk.

APCO25 Phase 2 Decoder - Individual Channels​

Note: all APCO25 Phase 2 systems use an APCO25 Phase 1 control channel. Use a Phase 1 decoder for the Phase 2 system and sdrtrunk will automatically create the Phase 2 traffic channels for you. However, if you want to listen to the Phase 2 channels individually, you must supply the descramble settings for the channel.

wgbecks

The OP expressed having little experience with Linux and is looking for a Windows application.

wgbecks

The OP seems to want to stay with an easy to configure and operate Windows application.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
DSDPlus Fastlane, but it appears that development has ceased in that there
have not been any updates released in just over a year now. Looks like abandonware.
I would not call it abandonware just yet. True there have not been any updates in a year but I recently (last week) emailed them a bug I found and they responded pretty quickly advising they are going to look into it. I would think if they threw in the towel, my email would have went unanswered.

Many forget that the people behind these great software programs are regular people, who have lives outside of the scanning community, and writing software for scanner/sdr is not their Monday to Friday 9 to 5 job..

rockfordpi

The OP seems to want to stay with an easy to configure and operate Windows application.
Did any of the control channels change? I mean phase 2 systems are entered as phase 1 in sdrtrunk.

According to radio reference, the control channels did not change. We still get a signal on the control channel, just no audio.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
These are in your other post

Previously he connected to the tower in Shelby Near Dollar General. Still receiving a signal from that tower/frequency but do not hear any radio communication.

He can still connect to and hear traffic from the Calera Tower which is located just inside the the Chilton County line. I assume that is because they are still on Phase I?

Can you link the Shelby site you lost audio on?