My Home Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

btlacer

KI4SJU/ Fire Captain/ EMTFR
Well here is my set up i have in my apartment. I have my Yaesu FT-2800, 2 meter Mobile rig with a Hustler 5/8 antenna hung up in my attic with a garbage can lid attached to the bottom. I can open repeters a good 70 to 80 miles away. "As the crow flies" I then have my Bearcat 780XLT which I have local and area emergency services programmed in it. I also have aircraft and military stations here in Kentucky programed it also. The antenna on the 780 is a Radio Shack base scanner antenna model. I have a TV signal amp. in line with the antenna. It works very well. I then have my Radio Shack DX-394 General Communications Receiver. For the antenna I use my apartments rain gutters! You would not imagine how well it works. I was picking up Cuba Radio last night with a 5db on my signal meter. And finally I have my Motorola HT-1250 "not pictured" I use for my local Fire Department. I have my local Ham Repeater programed into it so if our local 911 center lost radio communications I would have our ham repeater for back up! Got to think a head!

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• DSC02591.jpg
    DSC02591.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,302

btlacer

I have 12 gauge wire attached to it. My gutters are metal and I scraped the paint off one small spot and attached the 12 gauge wire to the gutter with a tek screw. I then ran the wire down to my DX-394. I use alligator clip to attach the wire to the radios telescopic antenna. It REALLY WORKS GREAT!

CharlesDom

Hey btlacer. Nice set up, I never thought about using the rain gutters. One question though; is the gutter grounded? That could be a little dangerous if struck by lightening.

btlacer

No I don't have them grounded. I do have a ground rod in the ground next to the gutter. I guess I need to run the wire up to it and get it grounded.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey btlacer. Nice set up, I never thought about using the rain gutters. One question though; is the gutter grounded? That could be a little dangerous if struck by lightening.

While grounding any antenna is a good idea, if that gutter takes a direct hit, ain't nothing but luck is going to protect that radio.

I lost an all-mode HF receiver to a lighting strike that hit about 200 feet away while just sitting on a desk, no antenna hooked up (or extended) and no AC power used. It was just sitting on a table when the magic smoke was let out :(

I need to check if my apartment's gutters are metal, I could try that with my RS-398.

rfrf

Premium Subscriber
Nice setup btlacer

Hey nice neat setup there. Great idea using the rain gutter as a receiving antenna. I've heard of others using it for transmitting off as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.