My inexpensive bicycle mobile setup

VA3TFC

I found this little bike handlebar bag yesterday and thought that would be perfect for holding my dual band handheld transceiver for bicycle mobile operation within the city. I took it out for a test on a local bike path near my house. I keyed up a local UHF repeater and announced my call sign but no response except for the sound of the repeater. Typical for this repeater since it's not a busy one but I just wanted to see if the rig would work. The radio is a Baofeng P15UV. It's a handy little radio with much much better speaker audio (louder) than my UV-5R. With the Baofeng speaker/mic it's a quick and easy way for me to do a little bicycle mobile operating on 2m and 70cm.IMG_20230918_135334.jpgIMG_20230918_144306.jpgIMG_20230918_135312.jpgIMG_20230918_135240.jpg

WA8ZTZ

Nice set-up (including the Timmy holder).
However, it looks like you may want to consider adding a front wheel hand brake as a backup...
with that coaster brake if you lose the chain you lose the brake. :oops:

VA3TFC

Hey, if it works, use it!!! (serious Paul Blart vibes going on here though. lol....)

Hahaha Paul Blart! In my case I live underground in a basement apartment so all I have are my portable dual band handheld transceivers so riding my bicycle to the local park (or some other outdoor location) with a coffee is usually how I operate in the summer weather permitting. It may not be fancy but it works! From the park I have had a QSO with another ham over 6 miles away on simplex but he was on his base station using a good antenna. Good fun!

Nice set-up (including the Timmy holder).
However, it looks like you may want to consider adding a front wheel hand brake as a backup...
with that coaster brake if you lose the chain you lose the brake. :oops:

Yes I have been going to add a front brake but truth be told this bike gets ridden on strictly flat surfaces about 1-3 kilometers a few days a week to run errands around the neighborhood and not much beyond that. I have discovered the handlebar bag is not very waterproof. I made the mistake of leaving it on the bike while it was parked outside during a heavy rain shower and the little notebook and pen I had left in there got soaked. The good thing is it's attached with velcro straps so it's easy to remove and bring inside.