Win500: My Starrsoft Software Appears to be Dead, What Gives?

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
About a month ago I tried to open my Starrsoft Win500 program without success. The tab reads something like this: Access violation at 0x00401147 (tried to read from 0x30F8AC5E), program terminated. I went to the Starrsoft Site and find that someone new owns Starrsoft and that Don Starr no longer owns it. I tried to figure out if I need an update, but to no avail. Can anyone help me?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
The only thing that works for me is the PRO-92/2067 software. The PRO-96, PRO-97 is dead, with a similar screen (although different number/letter combinations) and won't let me in. I paid for all of these and have the original log in/purchase slip, but the main Starrsoft site won't let me in. I really depend on Win500 so this is a bad situation for me.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
The only thing that works for me is the PRO-92/2067 software. The PRO-96, PRO-97 is dead, with a similar screen (although different number/letter combinations) and won't let me in. I paid for all of these and have the original log in/purchase slip, but the main Starrsoft site won't let me in. I really depend on Win500 so this is a bad situation for me.
Weird. All links for me.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
Did you try turning it off and then back on?

w2xq

Mentor
About a month ago I tried to open my Starrsoft Win500 program without success. The tab reads something like this: Access violation at 0x00401147 (tried to read from 0x30F8AC5E), program terminated. I went to the Starrsoft Site and find that someone new owns Starrsoft and that Don Starr no longer owns it. I tried to figure out if I need an update, but to no avail. Can anyone help me?
A WAG (wild a-- guess). Have you tried running Win500 in administrator mode?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
You provided a link to the PRO-96 software, I'm confused as my main problem is with Win500, although I paid for and occasionally use Win96 as well.

I only posted one to show I checked, but all worked, no point posting all 5 screen shots, especially when others are saying it worked for them too. But to make you happy...

1.JPG

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the "data protection mode" gremlin has resurfaced, after a Windows update.
Several links in this post where it has occurred in the past.

Look at post 9 here, & see if the errors look familiar. (That was regarding Vista, but the same problem has surfaced since then on later Windows versions.) It's also popped up on more than one software program.

Then further down in the same thread, look at posts 22 & 23.

Last edited:

w0bsb

Premium Subscriber
Windows 10 Data Execution Prevention (DEP) was what was causing mine not to work.

Here are the steps to fix the DEP problem:
First, press the Win+R hotkey to open the Run dialog box and enter sysdm.cpl in it to launch System Properties.

Now, move to the Advanced tab inside the System Properties window and tap on Settings under Performance.

After that, navigate to the Data Execution Prevention tab and select the Turn on DEP option that suits your requirement.

If you want DEP on for "all programs and services except those I select:" Then click the add button, navigate to the folder that the executable (.exe) is in select the Win96 or Win500 executable file.

Next, press the Apply > OK button to save changes.

Hope this helps.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I am using all of the WINXX programs successfully, although there have been challenges in newer OS (such as Win10/11). So-called virus protection software is one, Data protection mentioned in post 16 is another. The FTDI cable and driver is another.

Although I don't think running in administrator mode will solve this one, to do so; select the icon on your desktop or exe in File Explorer and right click. Select "Run as Administrator".

My latest issue of running a new install of WIN500 was a problem in auto-finding the com port. I guess Don saw this one coming and provided us with Win500_COM.exe. Running that solved my problem, then I had to manually select the COM port (which you get from Device Manager).

KA1ERL

Premium Subscriber
Windows 10 Data Execution Prevention (DEP) was what was causing mine not to work.

First, press the Win+R hotkey to open the Run dialog box and enter sysdm.cpl in it to launch System Properties.

Now, move to the Advanced tab inside the System Properties window and tap on Settings under Performance.

After that, navigate to the Data Execution Prevention tab and select the Turn on DEP option that suits your requirement.

If you want DEP on for "all programs and services except those I select:" Then click the add button, navigate to the folder that the executable (.exe) is in select the Win96 or Win500 executable file.

Hope this helps.
Win500 on my laptop works fine. On my work station the software does not open and indicates stopped working. I tried the DEP fix, but did not work. I also tried as admin to run, but still did not work. I need it to work on my work station. Do not know what to do now. Been searching the internet to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Win500 on my laptop works fine. On my work station the software does not open and indicates stopped working. I tried the DEP fix, but did not work. I also tried as admin to run, but still did not work. I need it to work on my work station. Do not know what to do now. Been searching the internet to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
And what happens when you try Win500_Com.exe on the problem machine (in administrator mode)?

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber

Hope this helps.

I can follow the instructions until I get to the bold text in your reply. I don't understand this step at all. I tried to navigate to anything that said Win 96 or Win500, without finding either. Any suggestions. By the way that bolded sentence is not grammatically correct and that is part of the problem I have understanding it.

Thanks for getting me this far. It seems as though the finish line is in sight, but I'm not quite there.