Need Help uniden Home 2 patrol (chicago area)

Spanky60643

Hello I'm New to the scanner world ! I live on the Southside of Chicago in the Beverly community! I recently purchased a Uniden Homepatrol 2 ,To monitor Emergency services near me and im unable to hear anything, Do I need to buy additional equipment better antennas ,,Am I able to hear local police ,fire, Ems ,state police ,surrounding suburbs etc ...what do I need to do ? All help is welcomed...

rf_patriot200

Hello I'm New to the scanner world ! I live on the Southside of Chicago in the Beverly community! I recently purchased a Uniden Homepatrol 2 ,To monitor Emergency services near me and im unable to hear anything, Do I need to buy additional equipment better antennas ,,Am I able to hear local police ,fire, Ems ,state police ,surrounding suburbs etc ...what do I need to do ? All help is welcomed...
Did you enter your zip code, so that portion of the database in your Home Patrol can be enabled ?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Am I able to hear local police ,fire, Ems ,state police ,surrounding suburbs etc ...what do I need to do ? All help is welcomed...
Welcome to the RR forums. Chicago PD are fully encrypted and cannot be monitored as denoted by mode "P25E" in the database
1710853217291.png

Regarding law enforcement in the suburbs, etc. Consult the database & it will tell you who operates where. Focus on the "Mode" column. Any time you see an uppercase "E" (as in DE, TE, P25E, etc) this denotes full encryption meaning the frequency or talkgroup cannot be monitored.

Additionally the HomePatrol-2 and most supported scanners (aside from the Uniden SDS100 & SDS200) are prone to simulcast distortion which you'll likely face when monitoring Cook South - Simulcast or the Chicago Citywide Simulcast on STARCOM depending on your location relative to two or more simulcast cells. Feel free to click the text "simulcast distortion" above for multipath mitigation methods if you do indeed encounter this but ultimately you'd be much better off with the aforementioned SDS models to bring in traffic on simulcast systems

phask

Premium Subscriber
1st question. Have you updated the database since you got it? It's probably several years old out of the box.

rf_patriot200

Welcome to the RR forums. Chicago PD are fully encrypted and cannot be monitored as denoted by mode "P25E" in the database
View attachment 158600

Regarding law enforcement in the suburbs, etc. Consult the database & it will tell you who operates where. Focus on the "Mode" column. Any time you see an uppercase "E" (as in DE, TE, P25E, etc) this denotes full encryption meaning the frequency or talkgroup cannot be monitored.

Additionally the HomePatrol-2 and most supported scanners (aside from the Uniden SDS100 & SDS200) are prone to simulcast distortion which you'll likely face when monitoring Cook South - Simulcast or the Chicago Citywide Simulcast on STARCOM depending on your location relative to two or more simulcast cells. Feel free to click the text "simulcast distortion" above for multipath mitigation methods if you do indeed encounter this but ultimately you'd be much better off with the aforementioned SDS models to bring in traffic on simulcast systems
The CPD Citywide channels on 460 mhz. are in the clear, at least for now.

Tomcu96

something I recommend is to use the radio scanner. Use it on the home patrol sental program because there are a whole lot of good radio scanners that help with radio reference programs or the radio plus the Chicago radio scanner system is usually busy