New "adorable" antenna for OTA TV Broadcast

p1879

I wonder just when a set-top antenna with VHF elements became so "ugly" in home fashion? I guess this coincides with attitudes about outdoor TV antennas. During the digital tv transition, great effort went into convincing folks that broadcast reception was only possible with a "digital" antenna.

That made possible the Great Flat Panel Miracle Antenna scam.

Back from the senile rant and on-topic, here is an experimental antenna prototype likely to provoke an amusing comment:

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
at least it is a "HD" antenna, wouldnt want amyone trying scam us with a "analog" antenna

merlin

I wonder just when a set-top antenna with VHF elements became so "ugly" in home fashion? I guess this coincides with attitudes about outdoor TV antennas. During the digital tv transition, great effort went into convincing folks that broadcast reception was only possible with a "digital" antenna.

That made possible the Great Flat Panel Miracle Antenna scam.

Back from the senile rant and on-topic, here is an experimental antenna prototype likely to provoke an amusing comment:

I had a gut bustin laugh at this. No such thing as a digital ATSC antenna. Channel frequencies are still the same as they have been for 70 years.
HD ? LOL, that is a digital format on any number of sub-channels, but the station has to encode and transmit that.
Those flat panel miracle antennas are a simple 'butterfly' antenna and very poor below channel 13.xx, poor across the spectrum.
The DIGITAL and HD sold a LOT of inflated $$ worth to the non savy.
You should have kept that Winegard platinum on your roof.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't think I want an antenna to looks like it was left behind after a UFO visit.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@prcguy testing one of his smaller amplifiers

main-qimg-1aacc5c6cc2337dbc48ccc2c96656a6a

Last edited:

BinaryMode

What's an "HDTV" antenna? And most of all, will it support re-banding and new modulation techniques? For that matter, will it make your current TV obsolete because the Feds and stuff...?

I mean, after all, they want to push you to to use Internet for OTA one day...

prcguy

The original article must be an April fools joke as nobody would build such an abortion and think it could work for VHV/UHF. You can build an axial mode helix for parts of the VHF/UHF TV band but the helix diameter would be around 2ft and require a 5 to 6ft reflector. A 10 turn version of that would be about 14ft long. For the upper UHF TV band the helix diameter would be about 8” with a 24” reflector and a 10 turn version would be about 5ft long.

Does the author of that article think we are all that stupid? Or is he……