• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Cb user

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
Today my uncle who’s a trucker gave me a Cb radio that he said he didn’t use anymore but before I can use it he’s gonna buy me a new faceplate for the radio because he said it melted off when he left it in the truck (I live in south Texas btw) it’s a striker 447HPC2 but I question its legitimacy because he said he got it upgraded at a radio shop in Waco. And he upgraded the power he said it gets so hot that you have to use a temperature plate on it to keep it cool I don’t know if that’s okay or not? He hooked it up to the battery in his truck to show me it and it turned on just fine but can’t really use it yet because he had to take knobs off when the faceplate melted. I’ll send y’all a picture of it in a bit. He also said it has all the amateur radio bands in it but I don’t think so since it says 10m.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

It's a 10 meter radio. Sold for "amateur radio" use, but very, very often "modified" for use on CB.

No, not legal for use on CB. Legal for use on 10 meters.
Over heating is a bad sign. Heat kills electronics.

Last edited:

DeeEx

Temperature plate?

Is there a heat sink on it somewhere?

I’d not use it until someone with experience checks it out. Or at least take photos of the internals and post them on one of the many export radio forums that are out there.

slowmover

You’re in luck being this close to San Antonio. Take it to Clay and have him inspect it (may have to drop off and return later). He’s a Stryker dealer.

On IH-10 @ 410 off Ackermann across the street from the Petro. (Separate building)

5530 IH-10E Building 6;
San Antonio, TX. 78219

A 447 is a nice radio. Yours needs work. May or may not be worth the expense.

I’ve been a customer over 25-years. He’ll set you straight.

SA_tx_88116

It's a 10 meter radio. Sold for "amateur radio" use, but very, very often "modified" for use on CB.

I tried to tell him🙄🙄🙄

SA_tx_88116

Temperature plate?

Is there a heat sink on it somewhere?

I’d not use it until someone with experience checks it out. Or at least take photos of the internals and post them on one of the many export radio forums that are out there.
Yeah that’s what it was a heat sink

SA_tx_88116

Also how do I take one of the knobs off i wasn’t Paying attention and put the wrong knob in the wrong place

SA_tx_88116

Also how do I take one of the knobs off i wasn’t Paying attention and put the wrong knob in the wrong place sorry for the double post that was an accident

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
So what’s your plan to use it?
In the car or house?
It’s all about the antenna !

Tip - before you take anything apart take a picture with your phone.

Pete N1EXA

slowmover

Texas heat will melt anything. 160F inside the vehicle with windows open ain’t uncommon in summer. Direct sun would certainly melt the glue.

Too bad someone got inside the radio except maybe to adjust modulation. Stryker builds a good product.

That said, it’s a nice gift. They have great audio.

Take it to Clay for a factory alignment and tuning. He’s one of a small handful of CB techs in the US will get it right.

Start your research on base station antennas. Where to mount it, and how to ensure safe & reliable operation.

Details will matter. Use a notebook.

Clay had some base station antennas and power supplies last time I was in there. He can advise if you buy from him.

SA_tx_88116

Texas heat will melt anything. 160F inside the vehicle with windows open ain’t uncommon in summer. Direct sun would certainly melt the glue.

Too bad someone got inside the radio except maybe to adjust modulation. Stryker builds a good product.

That said, it’s a nice gift. They have great audio.

Take it to Clay for a factory alignment and tuning. He’s one of a small handful of CB techs in the US will get it right.

Start your research on base station antennas. Where to mount it, and how to ensure safe & reliable operation.

Details will matter. Use a notebook.

Clay had some base station antennas and power supplies last time I was in there. He can advise if you buy from him.

Can they look at it for free and tell me what’s going on with it first? I also go the a restaurant near their called black bear diner it’s a good restaurant.

slowmover

Yes.

That diner is at the Petro.

Straight across street to one-story building at rear of that parking lot.

He’s there M-F. Be there earliest.

SA_tx_88116

Update I just got a pyramid PS3KX power supply my uncle told me to get the most power I would have to unscrew the knobs and wrap the copper wire around the metal part then screw knob back on to lock it in place. He also said that for now since I don’t have an antenna at the moment I can just put the copper wire into the holes on the knob (but wouldn’t that get you the same results?)So I plugged it in that way and turned on the power supply and it came on just fine he showed me how to change the color and channel but a common question we have is on the band selector. What other bands is the radio switching to if it’s only a Cb?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What other bands is the radio switching to if it’s only a Cb?

It's not just a CB. As was said above, it's a 10 meter amateur radio that's got an illegal capability to transmit on CB frequencies. Those "other bands" are the 10 meter amateur radio band, and maybe some commercial/government frequencies that fall between CB and 10 meters.

Ensnared

Today my uncle who’s a trucker gave me a Cb radio that he said he didn’t use anymore but before I can use it he’s gonna buy me a new faceplate for the radio because he said it melted off when he left it in the truck (I live in south Texas btw) it’s a striker 447HPC2 but I question its legitimacy because he said he got it upgraded at a radio shop in Waco. And he upgraded the power he said it gets so hot that you have to use a temperature plate on it to keep it cool I don’t know if that’s okay or not? He hooked it up to the battery in his truck to show me it and it turned on just fine but can’t really use it yet because he had to take knobs off when the faceplate melted. I’ll send y’all a picture of it in a bit. He also said it has all the amateur radio bands in it but I don’t think so since it says 10m.
I am curious. I live in Waco. Are you talking about the CB shop in Ross, which is north of Waco?