New guy here... coming in from the right :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny75904

Hi guys,

Just signed up for an account. I'm very new to this stuff (aka ignorant). I'm a software developer - been doing it for 15 years. Here for walkie talkies, possibly rail fanning, and just discovering the radio world as a whole.

I bought a pair of Arcshell AR-5 walkies about a year ago. That's pretty much my setup. I took a picture of my setup... it's just a walkie.

Still, for what I spent, it gets the job done, and I'll shed no tears if they get destroyed. I have the walkies so when my son goes out to play / explore I can get in touch with him. We just discovered some other families in the neighborhood also have walkie talkies, so now the channels are starting to come to life just a little bit.

I bought a RETVIS programming cable, downloaded CHIRP, downloaded the image of my AR-5 (attached), but there's just one problem: I'm an idiot. I had no clue what I was looking at. So I did an hour or two of reading on this site, and on the CHIRP site+wiki yesterday, and learned a fair amount, but not enough, and as a parent of three small kids I don't get much time to read. I mean... I bought the cable 8 months ago, and I'm just now getting to use it.

So please, someone help me out here. I need some guidance...

1. First, I've checked my OOB configured frequencies against the FCC database and confirmed there's no conflicts with other registered entities near me. There's are a few that match, but the entities are about 30 miles from me, and these walkies don't work past the entrance of my neighborhood. So I'm good there, I think.

2. I want to reprogram my channels with settings that make sense for the neighborhood. A few low-power channels, a few high-power channels, etc. The image shows there's already a decent smattering of channel settings, I just don't know how they comprehensively compare.

3. Supposedly the Arcshell AR-5 can be set to scan all channels with the cord and CHIRP, but, I've not found any real instructions on how to do that. I'd like to be able to my walkie (and other parents' walkies) to scan all the channels, as sometimes our kids' walkies "mysteriously" get their channels changed or volume turned down.

Lastly, I'm also a newly-created rail fan. I just went to see the Union Pacific's Big Boy locomotive, and now I'm having rail cravings. Any other rail fans here?

Attachments

• CHIRP - Arcshell AR-5.JPG
    CHIRP - Arcshell AR-5.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 87
  • WalkieSetup.jpg
    WalkieSetup.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 179

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
You'd be so much better off with a top-grade analog scanner like the Uniden BC125AT, still to be had brand new for under $100. No worries about an accidental transmission on an unauthorized band or interfering with the kid's toys. One of the best analog scanners out there and will do it all on the analog bands. Rail, air, itinerants, business bands, some fire on vhf, let's just say lots more than a walkie. You should check it out.

nd5y

So please, someone help me out here. I need some guidance...

1. First, I've checked my OOB configured frequencies against the FCC database and confirmed there's no conflicts with other registered entities near me. There's are a few that match, but the entities are about 30 miles from me, and these walkies don't work past the entrance of my neighborhood. So I'm good there, I think.
You are mistaken. It doesn't make any difference if you think there are no other users in your area.
The frequencies in your screen shot are Industrial/Business Pool and Public Safety Pool frequencies in the US.
It's illegal to transmit on them even if the radio came programmed that way.
You could program the radios with FRS frequencies. That would still be illegal because the radio isn't FCC Part 95 certified but it would attract less attenion to you than if you were using public safety and business frequencies.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Jonny,

ND5Y is correct in what was stated. Also, even though you feel that you will not interfere with anybody since they are licensed 30 miles away, you could still cause problems. I didn't check everything for the 75904 zip code that you might be in, but a mobile operating in your area could possibly still be in range of a satellite receiver of the overall radio system. And yes, you might cause interference. Anything is possible so it would be advisable to not transmit with your Handy Talkies (HTs).

Like TailGator911 stated, look into getting a real scanner for your radio reception interests. Lots of folks here will be willing to help you with that purchase. For two-way communications, look into:
  1. Citizens Band (CB) Radio
  2. Family Radio Service (FRS) Radio
  3. General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) Radio
Rather than explaining FRS and GMRS, I'll refer you to this article that I just found:

I'm sure that you will have questions, so please, feel free to ask away.

Finally, welcome to Radio Reference! You will find lots of help and a wealth of information here.

Dave

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking FRS might be the best option here, it's license free but limited to 2 watts TX, should be fine for around the block communication. With CB there are no rules and the language could get a little dicey, might not be the best option for communication with a child. GMRS requires a license to operate. $70 fee covers your entire household but you'll need to research and see if there are any open-use GMRS repeaters in your area. Not the most private mode of operation since your communications are hitting an area repeater but still works. As others above me have mentioned, you should only use radios intended for their respective radio services

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the above suggestions are solid. Those OOB frequencies in your radio are only test frequencies utilized by the manufacturer (probably in China). They are NOT intended for use by the purchaser and, as was mentioned earlier, radio frequencies in the US are assigned by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) pursuant to federal laws. The FCC is not known to have a sense of humor for violations... especially if the frequency is designated for public safety.

I suggest that you and your neighbors gravitate to radios that use the FRS frequencies, so that all radios will have access to the same channels. This radio service was recently modified with more channels and higher max power (2 watts), so look for the newer model radios.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Be very careful with channels 10 & 11. They are dedicated nationwide ambulance to hospital frequencies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
walkiesetup-jpg.77076

I like that puter case. Do you have a link?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You'd be so much better off with a top-grade analog scanner like the Uniden BC125AT, still to be had brand new for under $100. No worries about an accidental transmission on an unauthorized band or interfering with the kid's toys. One of the best analog scanners out there and will do it all on the analog bands. Rail, air, itinerants, business bands, some fire on vhf, let's just say lots more than a walkie. You should check it out.
I have to agree with everybody else Jonny... it does seem like you're taking a real long way around doing something that's pretty easy to do.

Not only do you not take the risk of interfering with others but you have the latitude and ability to monitor a much wider selection of options of things to listen to. Just buy a scanner.

JD's recommendation is cheap and will cover what you apparently are looking to listen to however, you might actually start to Branch out a little bit and maybe want to listen to your local police and fire, depending Where You Are, they could be digital and trunked...

Depends on how much money you want to spend but you don't have to spend much to try to do what you're trying to do in a roundabout way.

I'm sure with your programming background, programming scanners will be an easy learning curve and it's a great Hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.