New Oakland system

Status
Not open for further replies.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
And just to add, I DO have a GRE PSR-500 and the performance outside of the city of Oakland still leaves much to be desired. Yes, I can hear intermittent audio, but unless I'm driving through downtown Oakland it's still choppy and inconsistent.

This is a systematic problem affecting all scanner manufacturers. They simply haven't kept up with the technology, assuming that since P25 simulcast LSM employs CPQSK, which was made to be compatible with C4FM, that their C4FM-designed scanners will still work. And they don't.

Unfortunately the GRE's will be an improvement but not a 100% fix. The only true way to solve this will be to make your concerns known to the manufacturer, and request that if they are going to charge you $500+ for a product that is advertised to do a specific thing, that they redesign it to actually DO that thing. You'll never get great decode rates outside the intended coverage area, that's just the nature of digital simulcast, but to have almost unintelligible audio in the MIDDLE of the intended system coverage area is inexcusable and false advertising at that point.

LSM has been around for years now, get with the program scanner manufacturers! :)

(And this problem isn't limited to Oakland, but East Bay RCS, Golden Gate Transit and all other new 700/800 MHz 9600 baud P25 trunking simulcast systems. It's not going away anytime soon.)

Last edited:

Danny94103

Oakland P25 Issues

Thanks for all the feedback regarding my troubles with BCD396XT and Oakland's P25.
Last night, I upgraded my firmware from v1.08.14 to 1.10.00. Uniden claimed that it
solves some P25 reception issues. Well, it did not work for me, slight improvement but
still inconsistent, sometimes good, sometimes garbled intermittent receives.

SIG

Premium Subscriber
I took delivery of a PSR-800 this week and set it up with several local systems. Tonight is the first evening using it in Oakland.

Oakland's P25 system is received notably better than with my BCD396XT (even with the latest firmware). It's reception and clarify is much better. It is not perfect, though, and certain transmissions are very metallic and distorted. I'm happy with it's performance thus far and will see how it performs over the next several weeks.

I do hold out hope for a future scanner that does monitor a simulcast system seamlessly.

I'm still learning the PSR-800 and will need to post on the GRE forum to better leverage the features on it! For example, can you search and find new ID's with it?

Danny94103

Sig,

I too am beginning to realize that the scanner mfrs will come out with a truely seamless P25 simulcast scanner soon. Be interesting to hear how well it performs as you run thru the learning curve.
Thank goodness for Oakland to rebroadcast on EDACS using the main OPD and OFD channels, however the secondary channels are not, where I have to resort back to the P25 channels to follow the secondary channels action, which most of the time are the OFD secondary channels. Most if not all the action on OPD are still broadcast on Patrol 1 and 5 which are still on the EDACS.

Last edited:

Ben96cal

re: oakland

Sig,

I too am beginning to realize that the scanner mfrs will come out with a truely seamless P25 simulcast scanner soon. Be interesting to hear how well it performs as you run thru the learning curve.
Thank goodness for Oakland to rebroadcast on EDACS using the main OPD and OFD channels, however the secondary channels are not, where I have to resort back to the P25 channels to follow the secondary channels action, which most of the time are the OFD secondary channels. Most if not all the action on OPD are still broadcast on Patrol 1 and 5 which are still on the EDACS.

I'm having the same issue with listening to OFD. I am only picking up the dispatch channel. When they say go to one of the tacs everything is silent. I'm not getting much at all on the P25 system. I have full bars with a scanner across the bay in SSF.. Issue started a couple months ago... Is this what you mean by secondary channels or should I be hearing the tacs also on both systems?

officer_415

Database Admin
I'm having the same issue with listening to OFD. I am only picking up the dispatch channel. When they say go to one of the tacs everything is silent. I'm not getting much at all on the P25 system. I have full bars with a scanner across the bay in SSF.. Issue started a couple months ago... Is this what you mean by secondary channels or should I be hearing the tacs also on both systems?

You should hear everything on the P25 system. You might not hear the tacs on EDACS.

korpseofdeath

I just bought a BCD996XT last night, in hops to listen to Oakland on the new system. Then this afternoon, I found and read this whole post. I am very disappointed at this moment, as I live in San Lorenzo and I have always had great reception of the old EDACS system, but now nothing. I will be driving through Oakland tomorrow and I will bring it with me and try it in my vehicle with my mobile antenna and i'll see if I can get anything. Any tricks or something maybe I need to change in my settings? I have P25 Standard for the two sites with all frequencies.

kma371

QRT
It's not the settings, it's the radio. It's not designed to monitor that type of modulation.

Ameriscan

Premium Subscriber
re: 997xt +oak

The new oak system has a very limited range. my 996xt is situated near the emeryville/oakland border, and works just fine with the p25, ive tested it with a directional antenna and the basic stock one that comes with it. Both work just fine. Also picks up Richmond p25 clearly from there too. I put in no special settings, i only did an import with Radioreference on ARC xt pro, and that's it.

korpseofdeath

The new oak system has a very limited range. my 996xt is situated near the emeryville/oakland border, and works just fine with the p25, ive tested it with a directional antenna and the basic stock one that comes with it. Both work just fine. Also picks up Richmond p25 clearly from there too. I put in no special settings, i only did an import with Radioreference on ARC xt pro, and that's it.

When I imported mine from Freescan into my BCD996XT, it went with "Mot Type II / P25". It that what the setting should be set at? There was a reference a post earlier in this discussion about setting it to "P25 Standard (Digital TX). I drove through oakland last night, from 880 to 980 and then back south on 580. Nothing on my scanner for P25. Noticed it was trying to pick up talk groups, but no audio what so ever. I guess I will be buying a GRE this week if I can't get this to work at all.

I know KMA371 said it's the radio, but if a few people on here say they are hearing OAKLAND with their BCD996XT, I think I should be able to get a little bit out of mine.. :\

kma371

QRT
Well if your IN Oakland you should be ok for the most part. It's the people outside that are hearing multiple sites that are screwing things up I think

korpseofdeath

Tonight I drove through Oakland. Still no audio at all. I had two groups of oakland going. One on the Mot II / P25 setting, and one on the P25 standard setting. Nothing at all. Then I put Oaklands EDACS on, instantly got audio.. Lets just say I just got done ordering my PSR-600, and can't wait for it to arrive.. Can't believe it was $200. cheaper than my 996XT!!!

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Tonight I drove through Oakland. Still no audio at all. I had two groups of oakland going. One on the Mot II / P25 setting, and one on the P25 standard setting. Nothing at all. Then I put Oaklands EDACS on, instantly got audio.. Lets just say I just got done ordering my PSR-600, and can't wait for it to arrive.. Can't believe it was $200. cheaper than my 996XT!!!

FWIW the P25 system is P25 Standard Trunking - meaning it's completely different than Mot Type II. The confusion comes from people using the word "P25" to mean digital, when really "Mot II/P25" means a Motorola Type II system with digital talkgroups. So the second one is the only one that should have worked. When you get your PSR-600, I recommend trying the system in "P25 AUTO."

korpseofdeath

Does anyone know if the radioshack Pro197 picks up the oakland system similar to the psr600? I found an excellent deal for one and would like to save a bit of money since i already spent 600 on this uniden i got.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Does anyone know if the radioshack Pro197 picks up the oakland system similar to the psr600? I found an excellent deal for one and would like to save a bit of money since i already spent 600 on this uniden i got.

Just looked up its wiki page, which says it supports digital and APCO 25 trunking systems, so yes it should. Now whether it will do a good job on Oakland and the P25 simulcast they're using is anyone's guess...

Ben96cal

re; Oakland

Just looked up its wiki page, which says it supports digital and APCO 25 trunking systems, so yes it should. Now whether it will do a good job on Oakland and the P25 simulcast they're using is anyone's guess...

Has anyone contacted Uniden about this issue with the multi pass issue or whatever it's called?

Status
Not open for further replies.