New P25 Trunked Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ks_scan

Premium Subscriber
Bear, what app are you using for the scanner? Also, this morning it sounds like Wichita Troopers are back on analog.... weird.

bear780ks

Hearing radio traffic for the first Time on talk group 165 & 375 on the new P25 Alright!

Update: I'm Hearing many T.G's since I first Posted sounds good so far...

Last edited:

dgruver911

Let's be constructive about this..please post who you are hearing on what talkgroup so we can begin to map out the talkgroup list and get good, accurate information submitted to the database.

Also, my understanding is, that as they start to convert emergency services over during the next 3 weeks, they will patch the primary PD, SO, Fire and EMS dispatch channels between analog and digital, so we should be able to match those talkgroups. As that happens, you will also start to see the analog channels go silent one by one and more digital channels appear.

bear780ks

dgruver911:
The reason I posted as I did was because it was the first time that i heard traffic on new P25 and I was just wanting to put it out and the fact I was pulling it from a short stub antenna in a Vehicle from Reno,Co to be specific on the Area we were on the old K-17 Highway west of Cheney Lake.. close to Pretty Prairie,KS

I didn't know who was on it for sure I was just happy I programed my scanner myself correctly to pick up the traffic, the Frequencies wasn't programmed in by a Computer they were programmed in by my Computer that thing set's between my ears :p but the more I hear though and the more I learn for sure who it is I will post who the tag belongs to some of what I heard yesterday was Fire traffic, some of it was for one of the Fireman that was Retiring.. A lieutenant I think..

Another thing there are 4 control channels that are being used not the three that are Listed: hear the one's that I have in my 396 that the Co is using..

What I posted yesterday was from my Droid Razr Maxx while I was en-route to Wichita,, Bear

Last edited:

ks13645

Feed Provider
Traffic on Sedgwick Co P25 System

I've been listening to the P25 system off and on for a few days. Here's what I've heard so far.

Caveat: I don't have any "positive" agency ID's; this is based solely on what I have heard on the air.

TG / Traffic

15 Data packets
41 Fire Dispatch (Heard station alarms for Station 2, Squad 1, Squad 81, Engine 10, Engine 1, etc...)
145 Streets (sand trucks, etc.)
165 Unknown agency dispatcher, unit numbers 51, 56, 905, references to "Location 1", "Location 3", etc.
249 WHA (Wichita Housing Authority?) "Common" (Discussion about appliance part numbers, probably housing unit maintenance)
333 Jail - Prisoner movement announcements
371 WHA (Wichita Housing Authority?) Dispatch (Unit in service, out to lunch, etc.)
375 Buses/Transportation (Currently simulcast on Analog system)
377 Buses/Transportation (Currently simulcast on Analog system)
397 Unknown agency, references to "Location 3", etc.
409 Schools? References to a college road trip, request for a particular movie, etc.
411 Building maintenance (courthouse??) Coordinating on-site service providers (elevator repair, FedEx deliveries, etc.)
413 Unknown agency, units identified as "Homebase 2", "Homebase 4", etc. covering "Zone A", Zone B, etc.
415 Juvenile Intake? ( References to JIAC, Traffic regarding movement of residents, parental visits, etc.)
487 Parks/Cemeteries? (Traffic regarding purchasing 4x6 US flags, etc.)

Hope this is helpful to someone...
Good day,
ks13645

bear780ks

Hey thanks for Info:. allot that I heard seamed to be testing and it was sometimes hard to listen do riding around in a Noisy pickup truck :roll: was testing.. But Co Fire is one the of the one's I heard most.. there was a few times the P25 broke up but I'm sure that is do to it being in the testing faze.. once they get things narrowed down I think it will be a Great system to listen to.

Last edited:

ks13645

Feed Provider
Simulcast Interference

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I'm afraid that many Sedgwick County scanner listeners may be in for an unpleasant surprise as the new P25 system comes on line.

This new system is a 10-site digital simulcast system, which means that all 10 transmitters will be transmitting the same thing at the same time on the same frequency. In general, the current generation of scanners do not handle DIGITAL simulcast signals very well. (they seem to do OK with the current 6-site ANALOG simulcast system)

Unless you are close enough to one of the transmitters to drown out the signals from the other 9, or have installed a special antenna to block out all but one transmitter, monitoring this system may be difficult.

If you're not familiar with "digital simulcast interference", the symptoms are wildly fluctuating signal strength indications, as well as high error rates on the control channel and garbled/choppy audio on voice channels, even with what appears to be a strong signal. While the receivers in the "real radios" can combine the signals from multiple transmitters, the receivers in scanners just get confused while trying to PLL-lock onto a single transmitter, and they see the signals from other transmitters as multipath interference. (There have been many other discussions about this issue in other threads on this forum. Just search for digital simulcast interference.)

I had big problems with simulcast interference on my Butler County scanner feed. I started off trying to get by with a normal 800MHz scanner antenna. Depending on weather/atmospheric conditions, some days it would sound great, and other days you couldn't hear a complete transmission. Moving the scanner just a few inches would drastically change its reception. I finally installed a corner reflector antenna on a tower and pointed it at the Andover site (the feed scanner/server is in Augusta). It hasn't missed a word since.

Here's a link to a pic of the corner reflector running the Butler County Area Emergency Services feed:
http://s30.postimg.org/td4hpzpkh/Corner_Reflector.jpg

I'm trying to get my hands on another 800 MHz Corner Reflector for the Sedgwick County Law Enforcement feed. Also looking into possibly building one. At any rate, I hope I can get something worked out before they throw the big switch, and it sounds like I may not have much time!

Good luck!
ks13645

bear780ks

It makes me Hope that the New BCD436 and the new BCD536HP will handle it well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, On the old system I'm hearing now allot of semi-long static breaks before it starts scanning again at first it wasn't to bad to listen to but some of those static breaks can be long in tooth to listen too..

dgruver911

KS13645...great info. Yes, this will really help to try to map out talkgroups. Especially if someone can monitor analog and digital at the same time and see what TG's match before analog goes away..

And yes, you are correct, it is difficult to monitor. From my office in Newton for the past 2 days all I'm hearing is bits and pieces, a syllable or 2. No real good radio traffic. Pro96com seems to decode and list out pretty well (when I keep up with the very frequent control channel changes, and thus far there have only been 2 control channels), but voice traffic sitting on the wildcard TG is pretty useless so far.

Oh, and just to add some positive news, rest assured Harvey County will NOT be simulcast (on 800 at least, VHF paging is a different story) whenever we get our system going in a couple of years or so.

dgruver911

Confirmed a couple of matches today so far...

TG 51 is Ops 1 (Fire Dispatch)
TG 27 is EMS Dispatch
Digital 51 and Analog 816 are (slightly delayed) echoes of each other. Same with Digital 27 and analog 432.

Still getting very fragmented reception on the digital in Newton this morning.

Last edited:

n0lqt

If someone wants to try a freedom of information request under the Kansas Open Records law, the email address is; kora-fio@sedgwick.gov on the net or you can write to them at; 525 N Main, 67203 under Freedom of Information Office.

Previously, KDOT determined that coordinated talk group information for KSICS did not fall under the exceptions to the KORA (although it took them over a month to respond while looking for a way not to). I used the logic that the information is broadcast by the system over public airwaves and is not encrypted and therefore is not confidential. Citing both of these facts would probably bolster any request for coordinated talk group information.

EDIT: Well, after adding the above message I see that frog760 did just that.... Thanks frog! I guess I should have read other threads first before opening my yap!

Last edited:

factorone

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I'm afraid that many Sedgwick County scanner listeners may be in for an unpleasant surprise as the new P25 system comes on line.

This new system is a 10-site digital simulcast system, which means that all 10 transmitters will be transmitting the same thing at the same time on the same frequency. In general, the current generation of scanners do not handle DIGITAL simulcast signals very well. (they seem to do OK with the current 6-site ANALOG simulcast system)

Unless you are close enough to one of the transmitters to drown out the signals from the other 9, or have installed a special antenna to block out all but one transmitter, monitoring this system may be difficult.

If you're not familiar with "digital simulcast interference", the symptoms are wildly fluctuating signal strength indications, as well as high error rates on the control channel and garbled/choppy audio on voice channels, even with what appears to be a strong signal. While the receivers in the "real radios" can combine the signals from multiple transmitters, the receivers in scanners just get confused while trying to PLL-lock onto a single transmitter, and they see the signals from other transmitters as multipath interference. (There have been many other discussions about this issue in other threads on this forum. Just search for digital simulcast interference.)

I had big problems with simulcast interference on my Butler County scanner feed. I started off trying to get by with a normal 800MHz scanner antenna. Depending on weather/atmospheric conditions, some days it would sound great, and other days you couldn't hear a complete transmission. Moving the scanner just a few inches would drastically change its reception. I finally installed a corner reflector antenna on a tower and pointed it at the Andover site (the feed scanner/server is in Augusta). It hasn't missed a word since.

Here's a link to a pic of the corner reflector running the Butler County Area Emergency Services feed:
http://s30.postimg.org/td4hpzpkh/Corner_Reflector.jpg

I'm trying to get my hands on another 800 MHz Corner Reflector for the Sedgwick County Law Enforcement feed. Also looking into possibly building one. At any rate, I hope I can get something worked out before they throw the big switch, and it sounds like I may not have much time!

Good luck!
ks13645

This isn't as big of a problem as it sounds. The Johnson County/MARRS system up here in Kansas City utilizes a single control channel in Johnson County, and another in KC on the MO side.

Setting your Multi-side mode to "single" is the easiest solution (and might work well with the corner reflector setup), though not the most effective if you're moving around. Setting it "off" works partially as well, but the best luck I've had with my 197 is to keep it on Roam with the lower threshold set near 85 or 87, depending on the area and the terrain. Since Sedgwick County is going to have a bigger saturation of towers than what we have up here, you might have to try setting the lower threshold even higher than that. This helps the scanner lock on a singular signal, rather than bouncing from one to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.