New Polk County P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanRollman

Database Admin

Seems Polk County will be building a P25 system that will share the Cobb system core, as Forsyth and Bartow Counties have done and Douglas and Cherokee Counties are currently doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Casey

MTS....it is safe to assume that all of these agencies pay a yearly 'subscription' to cobb based on the number of radios in the field etc? Some type of subscriber agreement to access the core?

DanRollman

Database Admin
That's the plan. The Cobb system really should be referred to CARRS...Cobb Area Regional Radio System, adjacent to WARRS and OARRS on the east side.

Good call. Do you know if that is the official name? Is there an official name?

Functionally a lot like SEGARRN in the Savannah area too. Each county seems to own its own infrastructure but share a single core operated by the host agency.

In the RR DB, Bartow and Forsyth really should be migrated into the Cobb system listing. That will make usability for scanner listeners a little more difficult, since it will become more important to select the correct Site when trying to listen to a particular county, but it is more technically correct. (I keep Fosryth and Bartow set up as separate systems in my KNG radios to avoid needing to manually select a Site when I try to monitor those counties.)

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
MTS....it is safe to assume that all of these agencies pay a yearly 'subscription' to cobb based on the number of radios in the field etc? Some type of subscriber agreement to access the core?
Yes, they have an IGA and pay per radio IIRC, as well as a technology maintenance fee to cover upgrades/maintenance. The Cobb system is self-funded. This is a model for the rest of us...
Good call. Do you know if that is the official name? Is there an official name?
Not that I am aware of, I just came up with that sitting at my desk waiting for rogue radios to pop up in GenWatch...

DanRollman

Database Admin
The Cobb system really should be referred to CARRS...Cobb Area Regional Radio System, adjacent to WARRS and OARRS on the east side.

Ok, I took this idea and ran with it. Changed the name of the Cobb system, updated the names of talk group groups to better reflect regional usage, combined in the Bartow and Forsyth data, deprecated the old Bartow and Forsyth systems, and added various notes and links on Fortsyth, Bartow, Douglas and Paulding County pages. Y'all please let me know if you see outdated/errant information. Will likely take a while to clean up old information and fully synthesize all of this.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Good work Dan. The Cobb system truly is regional, and the way they are doing it being self-funded is a model for others in this state. Chalk that up to good leadership and good technical planning.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Wow, interesting update! The NAC for Forsyth county is 175h ("h" is included in the display on my SDS, though I don't think it applies)

Also, not to nitpick, but it is a factual issue, "Cobb" is in Sumter county. Cobb County is the accurate terminology for ...Cobb county...

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
The article posted by OP references a new system in Polk County. Post title is Paulding County. Is Paulding changing also? I understand the modular Cobb system, just trying to see if Paulding is signing on like Polk. This thread is confusing.

Last edited:

DanRollman

Database Admin
The article posted by OP references a new system in Polk County. Post title is Paulding County. Is Paulding changing also? I understand the modular Cobb system, just trying to see if Paulding is signing on like Polk. This thread is confusing.

Good catch. I think the reference to Paulding was a typo on my part, but then MTS2000des indicated he too though Paulding moving to Cobb P25 was 'the plan'. MTS2000des, did you just read through my typo and in fact you meant Polk too? Or do you have other info re Paulding? Thanks!

RRR

Premium Subscriber
....DMR system woefully inadequate. Many who though DMR was a substitute for a proper mission critical grade P-25 system are learning the hard way that a Hyundai Accent can't do the job of a Ford F-250....

And then there are DMR systems that are more than adequate for the agencies / areas they serve.

Polk county apparently didn't anticipate the amount of traffic their DMR system would need to handle upon build-out.

P25 trunking systems would be ideal in some areas, but in some counties, the recurring maintenance on them alone would cost as much as, or even more than the whole county's yearly budget. P25 trunking systems aren't always needed for every agency / area.

As with most things, your mileage will vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.