• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:

New radio, what channels to program?

Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2018

I am a new, unlicensed owner of a Baofeng UV82HP. I have downloaded the CHIRP software and am overwhelmed with programming options. I would like to use the radio for talking to family in the same geographical area, for use while offroading or hiking, possibly talking to family in other states, and lastly to hail emergency services in dire situations. I have inputed 14 FRS channels, but am not sure which other channels are legal to use without a license. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Dec 19, 2002
Wichita Falls, TX
It depends on whether you want to violate FCC regulations or be legal.
You can't legally use a Baofeng UV82HP on any frequency without some type of FCC license.

There is no way you can talk to people long distances away in other states with that radio without using infrastructure that requires FCC licensing and FCC certified equipment.

FRS and MURS don't require operator/station licenses but do require FCC Part 95 certified equipment and the UV82HP isn't Part 95 certified.

The UV82HP might have FCC Part 90 or Part 15 certification depending on who made it and when.
You can't legally transmit on Part 90 (private land mobile radio) frequencies without a station license or authorization from a licensee.

VHF/UHF amateur radio equipment usually requires part 15 certification and requires an amateur radio operator license that you get by passing a written exam.

There are no emergency frequencies for the general public to call for help. You will not be likely to get help by using a hand held radio on random frequencies. If you need emergency help in areas where there is no cellular coverage then you should buy a PLB (satellite Personal Locator Beacon).
If you think you can talk to public safety or law enforcement in an emergency it will only delay response because any unauthorized intruders that show up on their systems will be treated as a hoax or malicious inteference at first until they can sort it out.
Dec 4, 2018
I agree with the above. Basically, you bought the wrong radio unless you intend to get your ham radio license. GMRS licensees are somewhat likely to report you if/when they hear you transmitting on their frequencies. Licensed hams will report you if they catch you transmitting on ham frequencies without a license. And they will catch you too, if you do it very often. For some hams, DFing is their favorite radio activity.

That being said, there is a version of the UV-82 (and yours is not it) that is legal for MURS, which doesn't require a license. It is the Btech MURS-V1. It's about $55. That's more than a standard UV-82, but you might want to weigh that against the potential fine of ten thousand dollars if you get caught transmitting illegally.
Mar 30, 2005
So Cali
NoNameNooby "I have inputed 14 FRS channels, but am not sure which other channels are legal to use without a license."
There are no channels you can use without a license. MURS and FRS ARE Licensed by RULE, you follow the RULES and you can operate. BUT the radio MUST be Certified for the radio Service you are using. And your radio is NOT Certified for FRS, so that is not following the Rules and Regulations.

And most certifications for/on Baofeng radios are bogus.
Not open for further replies.