• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

New scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All
I am looking to buy a new scanner my old radio shack handheld just wont cut it anymore I have been looking at the Pro 2096 and the BCD996TI live Between Flint and Owosso Mich in shiawassee county. I was told I had to go digitail out hear to be able to hear the police and fire. Any suggestion would be grealy apprecaited.
Dave

New Scanner

From what I've read on the forums, both are fine radios. You may also want to consider the GRE PSR-600. Read the forums on these 3 radios. Members have left feedback, both positive and negative, on all the radios. Take the time to compare features, and decide which radio will suit your needs. You say you need digital reception, anything after that would be personal preference. Good Luck.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
GRE is currently a good step ahead of Uniden and Radio Shack models. More features, more standard equipment, more included accessories.

If you need digital, go with the handheld PSR-500 or base PSR-600

If you dont need digital, save $300 and the PSR-300 handheld and base PSR-400 may be the most sensitive scanners out there.

Price is competative with Uniden and RS too, so might as well.

Take a look how many people are dumping Pro-97 and Pro-96 on the classifides board on here. They are probably all going GRE.

Uniden's only real advantages are the remote head if this is going to be a vehicle mounted radio and possibly the object oriented programming which is nice if you are familiar with programming languages, but abandons the "bank and channel" design that many are familiar with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.