• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to CB and New to the Forum...

niceguy71

There's a super handy organizer on each side of the transmission hump

Location advantage:

Passenger-side. Metal backing plate and bracket on some O-rings or similar for vibration. Simplifies running power thru HVAC line firewall entry. 10-AWG ANCOR under flame resistant split loom conduit. Fuse at BATT+ and NEG to fender BATT- connection.

GEARKEEPER from rear view mirror for mic. (BC-645 mic with Mix 31 snapover underneath is easy to grab mid-swing vs stock. No up/down buttons).

Coax up starboard A or B pillar or out cab vent behind rear seat. May also be floorpan plug. More split loom, but can be cheaper. (MyAntennas choke at radio).

External speaker under drivers seat. (Split loom). More shock isolator.

This is how I look at it. Do as you will. Install can turn into a bear depending on location.
You have the 901 external speaker under the seat???? I always figured you would have some very ingenious place in the truck where the sound could bounce into your ears precisely and perfectly.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Everyone will probably have the same brilliant idea... and it will probably sound something like, "Jesus Christ man, clean your #### truck!"
It does not look the same inside as out... It's not cluttered, but I could probably grow potatoes in there. Getting in and out of the truck on log jobs means mud and dust are a constant.

@slowmover you're right on target. Everywhere else I put it feels clunky and inconvenient. Plus, I keep the front seat open. My 5yo son is my co-pilot most days. Warning: The next paragraph is a totally irrelevant aside...

Raising him in the woods and on the road is tough, but it beats the hell out of letting the state have him for 8 hours a day at the indoctrination facility (school). He's learning to interact with the real world in real time. He's learning that the value of hard work isn't always the money, although he appreciates the jingle-jangle (what he calls money). He got his vocabulary from men; the intelligent and the idiot alike. I.E. "Dad, did you see that moron cut that guy off?!" ...or... "Look dad, some douchebag threw his garbage on the ground!" He's independent to a fault, with an undertone of obstinance. Hell, somedays he's borderline feral. I'm proud of where he is, and if he doesn't go to juvi or overthrow the government he just might make it in this world...

Now, back to our regularly scheduled broadcast... The notable exception for clunky/inconvenient mounting locations is the armrest (which doubles as a lid for the console cubby hole). That's where I have the radio sitting now, and oddly enough it seems like a natural fit. I'm thinking about taking the lid off that center cubby, mounting a plate on the existing hinges, and mounting the radio to the plate. Done right and it should still function as a lid, look super clean, and be convenient. Key words: DONE RIGHT. I'll send some pictures of the interior later today.

Aside number two... I have seat covers that have the organizers on the back. I keep my Kentucky Gazetteer on the back of the passenger seat. In that narrow cab its well within reach and found without looking. My timber sale docs and property level maps live in the back of the drivers seat. I keep a rugged backpack with my laptop, field computer, and assorted tools/supplies in the back seat. There's a second backpack with extra clothes for me and my helper, a smaller "activity" bag for little man's school work and coloring books, and a moderately sized lunch box full of food and snacks. There may or may not also be a five gallon bucket of toy dump trucks, bulldozers, tractor trailers, and the like in there... The topper will be a game changer with regard to storage since a lot of that stuff will migrate back to the bed. I just need to get the back cleaned out and organized first. The inconvenience of the tonneau cover meant that sometime stuff just got shoved in. Getting that squared away is the plan for this evening...

Bingo. Organized for a two-man crew!

My aside is that I have to mount radio that it won’t get coffee spilled on it.

In the back of my pickup I’ve used big tubs with snap lids.

Haven’t sized this, but keeping team members from spilling (root) beer shows a good idea. (Ski boat).

Radio might get warm, so adapt or DIY.

IMG_1902.jpeg

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
You have the 901 external speaker under the seat???? I always figured you would have some very ingenious place in the truck where the sound could bounce into your ears precisely and perfectly.

IMG_2378.jpeg

IMG_2664.jpeg

I’m planning out running the non-NRC pre-2023 SSB rig in the pickup, overhead, with a KL7405. Digi-Mic, plus Liberty and the Randy 2 in the console. (3) truck antennas and (2) extra for handheld.

Currently have the KES-5 in place as shown (k0bg suggestion). Leery of putting a better one here my Size 13 steel toe develop some backswing. This isn’t perfect, but it can be cranked loud as hell. I have slack in cable I can dismount and hang it outside on window edge (EMT/FIRE/POLICE MIL-SPEC, so, highly water-resistant. Xtreme high efficiency.)

— Might be it could be mounted fully under seat? This speaker (audio design) won’t be muffled if that works.

Actually, I’m still doing the install I started over two years ago. Ran both power & audio to port side B-pillar and down to speaker last night. Today will finish running public address speaker audio cable out starboard A-pillar to follow power to underhood. (That item not yet purchased). As headliner is down on one side, didn’t want to have to fish these two later.

(20) RF Bonds done with more to go (front end rebuild shortly; maybe I can crawl under after new springs).

A different radio as funds allow, and maybe moving components.

The big thing for me was antenna. Never want to have to change that mount or location. Run anything.

With the dual-final Lincoln 2+ (bought 2/21) I’ll just leave the amp purchased for big truck crutch in bypass. 45W PEP gets it done. Insurance policy if it doesn’t.

$540 for mic, radio & amp in non-DSP gear I could have avoided spending if I’d had a crystal ball to scry the future. $300 for Q5 and been miles ahead.

But they’ve paid for themselves during work hours. And with a better vehicle than a plastic Class 8, they’ll do me well.

IMG_2199.jpeg

Last edited:

jcrmadden

Used some weekend to mock up a mount bracket. I used a piece of 1/8" x 1.5" aluminum angle. Cut it down so that it would slide between the cab and the bed topper and mounts horizontally to the topper. Left a flair at the end and drilled out a hole for a stud mount. It's tucked away nicely and the angles match the topper perfectly. Just a proof of concept that I took to a local machine shop where the guy is going to make it out of stainless (and a little less unsightly). I meant to get a picture before I left it with him, but forgot all about it. I'll post the finished product next week. Ordered a quick disconnect, heavy spring, and a 6' skipshooter (7' wont fit from corner to corner when stowed). Can't wait to finally have ears though.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Used some weekend to mock up a mount bracket. I used a piece of 1/8" x 1.5" aluminum angle. Cut it down so that it would slide between the cab and the bed topper and mounts horizontally to the topper. Left a flair at the end and drilled out a hole for a stud mount. It's tucked away nicely and the angles match the topper perfectly. Just a proof of concept that I took to a local machine shop where the guy is going to make it out of stainless (and a little less unsightly). I meant to get a picture before I left it with him, but forgot all about it. I'll post the finished product next week. Ordered a quick disconnect, heavy spring, and a 6' skipshooter (7' wont fit from corner to corner when stowed). Can't wait to finally have ears though
“Ordered a quick disconnect, heavy spring, and a 6' skipshooter”

SS antenna is of VG performance. Just remember it imparts quite a wind load to the mount.

Don’t forget:

Last edited:

niceguy71

SlowMover you've never steered me wrong ( thank you) ... is this something I should think about????

I have the Tram 3500 magnet mount on the mobile.... seems to work great.... no complaints with it at all.....

I have the Antron 99 on the base station... again no real complaints.... I do have a problem I'll look into later ( picking up an electrical short in the neighborhood I guess ....project for another day)........ but anything that would lessen my noise would be good.......

I don't want to lose any signal strength.... meaning I like to see how many miles my handheld CB's can go so I want the squelch as wide open as possible...... sometimes a filter cuts out the noise but also makes it so I can't hear a very far off handheld CB?????

if you think it would be a good idea, I'll get one and try it on both my set-ups and see if I like it enough to buy another.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
SlowMover you've never steered me wrong ( thank you) ... is this something I should think about????

I have the Tram 3500 magnet mount on the mobile.... seems to work great.... no complaints with it at all.....

I have the Antron 99 on the base station... again no real complaints.... I do have a problem I'll look into later ( picking up an electrical short in the neighborhood I guess ....project for another day)........ but anything that would lessen my noise would be good.......

I don't want to lose any signal strength.... meaning I like to see how many miles my handheld CB's can go so I want the squelch as wide open as possible...... sometimes a filter cuts out the noise but also makes it so I can't hear a very far off handheld CB?????

if you think it would be a good idea, I'll get one and try it on both my set-ups and see if I like it enough to buy another.

I try to attach it often. @prcguy recommended. I have one on the big truck rig. I find it worth it. (A feedpoint choke equally worthwhile, but I’ve found harder to solve).

One is getting down to fixing that which wouldn’t occur with an older CB once NRC has had its way. Doesn’t seem necessary.

Picking out that truly distant RX on-road gets more interesting.” Understanding “. And disruptions by local electrical interference becomes less. Getting blanked occurs less.

When I’ve said I have better ears at times than base stations co-currently on-air, it’s this level of performance to which I’ve referred.

When everyone’s feeling squirrely due to an incident = Less gets past you.

— DRX-901 precedes as that set of qualities needed.

A big truck cabin is a big room. Has some advantages in sound reproduction against speaker mounting difficulties with pickups/cars.

I’ve also tried to impart that experienced drivers walking past are shocked at the audio reproduction coming from my truck once they figure out it’s CB, not VHF.

Speaker, filter/chokes, and 7’ antenna need NRC to bring out detail. NRC needs devices stated to HELP overcome noise on HF rigs. The radio works less hard.

Clean power first. Best antenna system second (of which this device is part). On the big truck I also use a Bandpass Filter so that the radio only sees 27-MHz.

CMC Choke /RF Filter at both end of coax is an ideal. It’s a subject for your research. Read around that website, to start. Then ARRL and what a general search brings up.

Vertical polarization has lots of noise. It’s not the yahoos that drive everyone off CB, it’s that the noise makes their blathering intolerable.

Last edited:

jcrmadden

Cancelled my order for the 6' SkipShooter this morning. Reordered both the 7' and the 4' versions. I want the best ears I can afford when I'm on the highway, and the 6' felt like an unnecessary compromise. I assume the 4' is a significant reduction in performance, but probably not as bad as a snapped off version of even the best antenna. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I can strap a PVC tube on top and stow the 7 footer when I'm off-road. If I've done my job right the guys in the woods already know I'm in the area. Once I'm stationary I can redeploy the 7' if needed, or hell, who knows, maybe throw up a 9' whip. The topper came pre-tapped for a roof rack and I'm betting I can find eyebolts that will work nicely.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Cancelled my order for the 6' SkipShooter this morning. Reordered both the 7' and the 4' versions. I want the best ears I can afford when I'm on the highway, and the 6' felt like an unnecessary compromise. I assume the 4' is a significant reduction in performance, but probably not as bad as a snapped off version of even the best antenna. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I can strap a PVC tube on top and stow the 7 footer when I'm off-road. If I've done my job right the guys in the woods already know I'm in the area. Once I'm stationary I can redeploy the 7' if needed, or hell, who knows, maybe throw up a 9' whip. The topper came pre-tapped for a roof rack and I'm betting I can find eyebolts that will work nicely.

FWIW, I’ve got 4.5’, 5’, 5.5’, 6’, 7’, 9’.

KANE4109

I try to attach it often. @prcguy recommended. I have one on the big truck rig. I find it worth it. (A feedpoint choke equally worthwhile, but I’ve found harder to solve).

One is getting down to fixing that which wouldn’t occur with an older CB once NRC has had its way. Doesn’t seem necessary.

Picking out that truly distant RX on-road gets more interesting.” Understanding “. And disruptions by local electrical interference becomes less. Getting blanked occurs less.

When I’ve said I have better ears at times than base stations co-currently on-air, it’s this level of performance to which I’ve referred.

When everyone’s feeling squirrely due to an incident = Less gets past you.

— DRX-901 precedes as that set of qualities needed.

A big truck cabin is a big room. Has some advantages in sound reproduction against speaker mounting difficulties with pickups/cars.

I’ve also tried to impart that experienced drivers walking past are shocked at the audio reproduction coming from my truck once they figure out it’s CB, not VHF.

Speaker, filter/chokes, and 7’ antenna need NRC to bring out detail. NRC needs devices stated to HELP overcome noise on HF rigs. The radio works less hard.

Clean power first. Best antenna system second (of which this device is part). On the big truck I also use a Bandpass Filter so that the radio only sees 27-MHz.

CMC Choke /RF Filter at both end of coax is an ideal. It’s a subject for your research. Read around that website, to start. Then ARRL and what a general search brings up.

Vertical polarization has lots of noise. It’s not the yahoos that drive everyone off CB, it’s that the noise makes their blathering intolerable.

slowmover, I had NEVER THOUGHT about using a bandpass in a mobile. You sure have me thinking about it now!!!

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
slowmover, I had NEVER THOUGHT about using a bandpass in a mobile. You sure have me thinking about it now!!!

What do you consider when your life may depend on it? The lives of others?

Howzabout, your net gross income will decrease this week, otherwise?

Sort of, nothings off the table.

AM-19 is a challenge what with Skip off the charts this cycle, but the tools to combat that are what’s wanted under any conditions.

We’ve discussed BPF use in threads and by thread elsewhere.

Treat both ends of coax and use a BPF = $$.

You might say my coax system, alone, is over $550 (as it is). It pays for itself on the job so it’s not “expensive” to the same extent it would be for a hobbyist.

Wilson Cophase FME + big truck Install: $150
(5) RG-213 jumpers $150
CMC Choke $90
RF Filter $90
BPF $80

You can see why moving to an ft-891 where integration of filtration & adjustments to signal capture becomes more desirable as costs, complications & failure points are introduced.

I have to be able to use the tool and to re-route myself, effectively. That’s a whole other can of worms.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
My big truck Q5 radio rides in its own air ride seat. In this aftermarket tac radio case. The Erector Set.

Audio, Power, and Coax towards antenna not shown and not hooked up.

IMG_5475.jpeg

Coax system devices add headaches.

Long distances in big truck mean more $.
This is 30A Power + Extension Speaker for an FTL Evo.

IMG_5476.jpeg

IMG_3286.jpeg

A private vehicle means a reduction in cost via distances, and since it’s not set-up to be removed by modularity it's simpler to install & maintain.

As a permanent-mount 7’ is par, the better antenna performance may cause one to find a BPF less desirable. Save it for the big ears at home.

What you see represents many hours of work and the earlier versions, too, over years of trying. And still subject to future changes.

Making my own coax jumpers will be one of those changes.

It’s easy to locate and mount devices.
Its a bear to set up:

Coax
Power
Case Ground

Last edited:

jcrmadden

Picked up the new mounts today, and they're beefy! Had him make one for each side just to have options later. I have to take the topper off to install, might as well do it once from the start.

KIMG2270.JPG

jcrmadden

Gonna be tucked in pretty tight, and should keep everything (mostly) out of harm's way. I'll probably scoot the topper back about half an inch for better clearance when flexing.

KIMG2271.JPG

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Truck beds are usually mounted directly to the frame.
Cab is usually mounted with bushings to the frame.
You will likely see some movement when comparing the truck bed to the cab. Not leaving some gap between the bracket and the back of the cab may result in paint and/or sheet metal damage. I'd stick those out a bit more from the cab to prevent damage.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I choose drivers side for single antennas on big trucks as it’s less work to remember to keep it out of the obstacles.

Nice looking mounts!

Stud is a problem. A weak link due to inferior design and materials.

This one is a start. “Okay”

This is another. Neither is bulletproof.

IMG_2807.jpeg

This is closest to “cast iron”. It’s big

Last edited: