• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to CB and New to the Forum...

jcrmadden

It has to be something I f'd up in the radio... The little Wil didn't have great reception with the Uniden 510xl, but I didn't have a SWR meter and don't know how bad or why. I installed the Qt60 (with clean power) and had better results (less noise). My SWR with the Lil Wil and new radio was still north of 2:1 according to the radio's integrated meter. The radio was set to cut out at 3:1. Now, with everything set up exactly as before my radio's SWR reading is pegged... (There's an infinity ♾️ symbol on the meter). I've undone everything I can think of and nothing changes. I'm off tomorrow and I plan to undo everything and start over

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
IMG_3963.jpeg
Double-check that plastic washer is as shown.

There’s not much that Xtra-High SWR can be:

Coax fault
(most likely)

Antenna fault
(less likely)

Radio defective
(least likely)

The antenna mount is part of the coax system (as I see it). Grounds outer shield at antenna mount and at radio case. An open short means it’s been pinched hard once and inner conductor + outer shield are now as one.

Bad coax = strip cover and remove un-nicked shield for future case grounds or RF Bonds.

If coax passes tests as shown, system assembled properly, antenna not cracked, then it on to mount (see assembly in opening illustration).

Lil Wil bypasses new antenna + mount for now.
Need separate SWR meter to ck against built-in meters.

SWR 1.5:1 or less is ideal, 2.0:1 is acceptable.

Any truckstop should have this.

SWR checks come ONLY after Multimeter tests.

— Radio defect question requires ruling out all else first. Radio Meter can malfunction, thus need for separate SWR meter.

FWIW, I’ve driven around for 2-weeks before getting things copacetic, relying on back-up system. Think you’ll run 6,200-miles as I did?

Getting into the groove (music references) hardest part, IMO, as after that it just flows. Intuitive Sense is the thing desired. The sum is greater than the addition.

The orchestral leader waves a wand.

Last edited:

jcrmadden

I don't have a multimeter or external SWR meter, but they're both on the list.

Before the new antenna install the QT60 with Lil Wil antenna had an SWR of ~ 1.5.

After the new antenna install the QT60 with SkipShooter had a maxed out SWR.

I worked through each component of the new install trying to isolate the culprit. I even drove to the closest truck stop to pick up a new stud and new coax cable to rule those out. Then I did a reset on the radio and still the SWR was maxed out.

When those steps failed I went back to running the QT60 with the Lil Wil mag mount antenna. Where my SWR was 1.5 before and now it's maxed out.

I went to the truck this morning mentally prepared to undo everything and start over.

Wanted to give it a once over just to be doing. I visually inspected everything. Everything tight, nothing cross threaded, nothing pinched or kinked or visibly damaged. Figured I would do another reset on the radio just for giggles too.

Works. Fine.

SWR on the Lil Wil is 1.6

At this point I'm confused.

I take the Lil Wil down and I hook the SkipShoorter up.

Works. Fine.

SWR on the Skip Shooter is 2.0.

I'm dumbfounded. Literally just staring in disbelief.

jcrmadden

In an earlier post I had asked whether a second antenna would change the signal pattern.

SPECIFICALLY ASSUMING THAT THE SECOND ANTENNA WASN'T HOOKED UP.

I still don't know the answer to that question, but it definitely affects SWR!

I have the SkipShooter hooked up and was about to start working on the tuning tip.

The question crossed my mind again and I thought let's see what happens.

I dead keyed and SWR was still at 2.0.

I set the Lil Wil on roof center.

I DID NOT HOOK IT UP!

Dead keyed again...

SWR AT 1.2!

Anybody want to explain?

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Composite truck bed is a problem not yet addressed by name. Maybe it just announced itself.

You’re in new territory from my perspective.

Last edited:

jcrmadden

Who's the resident signal pattern rainman here?

I may pull the topic out for it's own thread. Might be more than a few that have turned up the squelch on my long running rambling post.

jcrmadden

Speaking of long running rambling...

I made several good contacts out on the highway today. Everybody especially chatty. More than a few commented on how clean my audio sounded. Fell in behind a rock hauler that was chatting with the tanker ahead of him. They were going on about the slow poking Hostess delivery truck ahead of them. When the conversation was petering out I jumped in with some comic relief that was well received. Something about double fisting hoho's and dingdongs...

We had several miles left to the county line (mile marker reset in known territory). Used that road time to talk shop (radios, watts, antennas, etc.). Used the new report to ask a favor. Told him I would hit the shoulder at the county line. Asked if he would call out mile markers so I would have a range reference. He was more than happy to oblige.

I had already seen the driver's side and knew he didn't have an antenna there. As I hit the shoulder and caught sight of his passenger mirror I knew I had hitched my wagon to the wrong horse... His 3' fiberglass was almost perfectly parallel to the ground.

I knew I wasn't about to get an accurate depiction of full potential. Nevertheless, it was an accurate depiction of reality. It has been said in this thread that more often the point to overcome is the other man's setup.

We had been running a consistent 60mph so I was expecting a call out every minute. Mile 1 came clean, mile 2 had just a little fuzz on the edge of his words, mile three wasn't broken but was very fuzzy, mile 4 never came.

After the missing minute passed I called out hoping that I had enough punch to let him know that I didn't get him. Thanked him for his help and wished him safe travels. In reality it was a hope that maybe by hearing, and knowing that he wasn't being heard, would be incentive enough to look at that antenna. Odds are that it doesn't happen. But the maybe is there.

I did hear the tanker a few seconds after, but it was very broken and I don't know how far ahead he was.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
As I hit the shoulder and caught sight of his passenger mirror I knew I had hitched my wagon to the wrong horse... His 3' fiberglass was almost perfectly parallel to the ground.

This amount of tilt is to avoid interference with A-pillar. Why I run 44” shafts is to get it back vertical using mid-coil. He can’t get decent SWR reading of antenna mounted same place (and composite body fleet truck; large cars have it easier with antennas on West Coast mirror arms).

IMG_4038.jpeg

niceguy71

Speaking of long running rambling...

I made several good contacts out on the highway today. Everybody especially chatty. More than a few commented on how clean my audio sounded. Fell in behind a rock hauler that was chatting with the tanker ahead of him. They were going on about the slow poking Hostess delivery truck ahead of them. When the conversation was petering out I jumped in with some comic relief that was well received. Something about double fisting hoho's and dingdongs...

We had several miles left to the county line (mile marker reset in known territory). Used that road time to talk shop (radios, watts, antennas, etc.). Used the new report to ask a favor. Told him I would hit the shoulder at the county line. Asked if he would call out mile markers so I would have a range reference. He was more than happy to oblige.

I had already seen the driver's side and knew he didn't have an antenna there. As I hit the shoulder and caught sight of his passenger mirror I knew I had hitched my wagon to the wrong horse... His 3' fiberglass was almost perfectly parallel to the ground.

I knew I wasn't about to get an accurate depiction of full potential. Nevertheless, it was an accurate depiction of reality. It has been said in this thread that more often the point to overcome is the other man's setup.

We had been running a consistent 60mph so I was expecting a call out every minute. Mile 1 came clean, mile 2 had just a little fuzz on the edge of his words, mile three wasn't broken but was very fuzzy, mile 4 never came.

After the missing minute passed I called out hoping that I had enough punch to let him know that I didn't get him. Thanked him for his help and wished him safe travels. In reality it was a hope that maybe by hearing, and knowing that he wasn't being heard, would be incentive enough to look at that antenna. Odds are that it doesn't happen. But the maybe is there.

I did hear the tanker a few seconds after, but it was very broken and I don't know how far ahead he was.
well updates????? or did you forget about us now that it's working? ( Kidding)

tell us about your long distance 37 LSB contacts???? I think my first side band contact in 35 years ( honestly 35 years same radio and I never had a side band contact until last year) it was Ohio from my state of Massachusetts after I had my mobile radio installed and RF bonded..... before the bonding I was trying my neighbor to his car parked in his driveway under an electric line.... he had a Lil Will ( God I hate those things... such a waste of money) using AM 14 I was only able to get 3 miles!!!! but it was in the middle of the day and the conditions were terrible..... the following day I spent the whole weekend doing the RF bonding and was talking to base stations several towns away on AM. when I was finished.

hopefully you will find a base that has the Anytone 5555 N II or QT60 or something even better..... great meter on them .... that's my testing method... love leaving my house with the Cam Corder aimed at my base radio...I call out, say at every on /off ramp.... or restaurant, point of interest... then get home and use google maps measured distance to drag a line from my house to each location to see how far I can get.... so far I can't seem to drive past the Texas Road house without stopping to eat and saying the heck with the range test.
at the Texas Road house about 10 miles away I generally am receiving signal strength S7 back on the base radio... and I'm very, very satisfied with that and think I'll be able to go out 4 or 5 more miles....... if I leave with a full stomach.

right now I'm sorting out an electrical surge in my house that is causing my base station Signal meter to always read S5 and then it surged to S7 or S9...then pops and repeats.. so kind of hard to see a long distance test for now. I tracked it down to breaker #23 tonight, the Garage plugs... they are all GFIC so I'll start disconnecting one at a time till I find the culprit this week.

I will do a max range with my tram 3500 then I just bought a Stryker AR10 magnet mount and I'm kind of interested to see how it stacks up.

let us know how it's going

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
well updates????? or did you forget about us now that it's working? ( Kidding)

tell us about your long distance 37 LSB contacts???? I think my first side band contact in 35 years ( honestly 35 years same radio and I never had a side band contact until last year) it was Ohio from my state of Massachusetts after I had my mobile radio installed and RF bonded..... before the bonding I was trying my neighbor to his car parked in his driveway under an electric line.... he had a Lil Will ( God I hate those things... such a waste of money) using AM 14 I was only able to get 3 miles!!!! but it was in the middle of the day and the conditions were terrible..... the following day I spent the whole weekend doing the RF bonding and was talking to base stations several towns away on AM. when I was finished.

hopefully you will find a base that has the Anytone 5555 N II or QT60 or something even better..... great meter on them .... that's my testing method... love leaving my house with the Cam Corder aimed at my base radio...I call out, say at every on /off ramp.... or restaurant, point of interest... then get home and use google maps measured distance to drag a line from my house to each location to see how far I can get.... so far I can't seem to drive past the Texas Road house without stopping to eat and saying the heck with the range test.
at the Texas Road house about 10 miles away I generally am receiving signal strength S7 back on the base radio... and I'm very, very satisfied with that and think I'll be able to go out 4 or 5 more miles....... if I leave with a full stomach.

right now I'm sorting out an electrical surge in my house that is causing my base station Signal meter to always read S5 and then it surged to S7 or S9...then pops and repeats.. so kind of hard to see a long distance test for now. I tracked it down to breaker #23 tonight, the Garage plugs... they are all GFIC so I'll start disconnecting one at a time till I find the culprit this week.

I will do a max range with my tram 3500 then I just bought a Stryker AR10 magnet mount and I'm kind of interested to see how it stacks up.

let us know how it's going

I’ve run into roadblocks more times than I can count. My usual response is to look at what else needs my attention, but not drop Radio, wholly.

1). There’s more to read. I’ve taken up subjects not of direct interest just because others found it worthy enough to create long threads. Video links usually are found. Etc.

2). Is to go sideways in work to keep hands busy. Strip coax for shield. Re-organize gear & tools & supply. Etcetera.

Tonight was #2

IMG_5553.jpeg

A). Expensive stuff. But really impressive. My pickup truck might actually get finished (I’m on V.2). So there are a number of 12V & coax connections I’d prefer to be clean & corrosion-free. This is that solution. (Q-tips, abrasive paper, tiny screwdriver or paper clip, Dremel; etc.)

This effort goes to Hearing.
Listening.

B). Is fitting those jumpers to split-loom covers. Heat-shrink over ends. Similar.

C) Is using the featured product (again) on radio, etc., just prior to mounting. And, once I’ve confirmed to satisfaction that the antenna is as good as I’ll get it, some Flitz and then the De-Oxit up on the roof-end-of-things before snugging it down (any internals already done).

It’s enough to have done something to keep momentum underway that doors continue to open. Most of which has been about use, that which is not easily conveyed by words.

— You have heard it said that Time doesn’t exist.
“Timing”, most assuredly does.

Last edited:

KANE4109

I don't have a multimeter or external SWR meter, but they're both on the list.
For something like this, it doesn't have to be a very fancy or expensive meter. I actually have several of these around for "go / no go" testing... only $7.... and once in a while... I have seen ads where they give them away with another purchase.....

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Hobo Freight also has DC Ammeter which you’ll want someday.

Seeing Volt Drop (3% allowable; about .5V) is first. I’m having to extend my NEG ground as its higher (1V+). No good reason to strain radio.

Someday
you’ll want to check actual amp draw against being able to run radio X-minutes before vehicle won’t re-start. This was considered serious in big truck right into the 1990s.

Today, big trucks carry (6) Grp 31. They didn’t in the days of mechanical injection. My 50-HP APU kicks in and I’m good to go for however long.

Not a good habit to run radio with engine off. If it becomes attractive, then a deep-cycle in the bed with the associated $$ of HQ controls and heavy cabling.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
For something like this, it doesn't have to be a very fancy or expensive meter. I actually have several of these around for "go / no go" testing... only $7.... and once in a while... I have seen ads where they give them away with another purchase.....

I keep a few of these meters around. The test leads can be a bit of an issue, but good enough to check for 110V, 12V, and continuity. They take a 9V battery, which is easy to replace.

I also keep at least one of these lights in my Jeep, and a couple around the house. They have a hook that doubles as a prop stand, and a magnet on the back, and run on AAA batteries. They are great for getting light into odd/tight areas, like under the dash.

Both are inexpensive enough that I don't care if they get damaged. (They become parts for other units.)

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior

SWR and Grounding CB Toolbox Installation​

SWR and Grounding CB Toolbox Installation

“Knew” I’d seen something about composite pickup bed previously.

A Nano-VNA is in your future in order to take readings you'll then post by which the knowledgeable can advise remedy.

This tool will be the golden key to your radio rig performance (alternate choice is RigExpert 55).

There’ll be some interesting advice:

Post in thread 'SWR and Grounding CB Toolbox Installation'
SWR and Grounding CB Toolbox Installation

Related: (k0bg article, too)

Post in thread 'Extreme RF Gremlins - Can anyone assist?'
Extreme RF Gremlins - Can anyone assist?

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior

I’ve run into budget “stop” for now otherwise I’d have finished this.

IMO, you’ll want this (DIY) or a pre-made.

As a topic it’s usually with base station antennas. And tends to precede adding one at radio (in discussions); often, the one at radio doesnt come up at all (HF talk on Amateur threads).

“Quality” of coax shield ground at both ends is sister topic. (With HF Talk that gets subdivided due to length of run and entering structure).

This is after antenna dial-in.
“Noise Abatement”

NRC + DX-901 + Choke/Filters at both ends is where other truck drivers start fly-catching they hear the audio from inside my cab.

Never imagined it possible.

The dumb ones ask about how much money?. The smarter ones ask about value (clarity as leverage).

Distant Early Warning.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Post Installation
What to Expect
Why?

That after antenna is dialed in thread. The problem of Skip overwhelming local comms since late 2022 during this Solar Cycle 25.

I came across the next thread — a topic rehashed endlessly since the Net got going — and decided to add the context of what’s meant by “use”. I long ago got tired of, “gee, it’s not 1989 any more”.

The threads are a pair: What difficulties, what possible solutions given that over a 24-hr period on a weekday I’m likeliest to encounter AM-19 use while traveling.

My use is 12-14/hrs-day at about 300-days/year. The 48-states, though only a sector of them most years.

To say, no one uses it, isn’t true. It’s more difficult given Skip, but for any US location, it’s possible to zero in on hours of highest use for AM-19, generally.

For the OP, context will show what’s, what for his geographic region.

How well am I being heard, and how well am I hearing those around me?

Who, What, Where . .
and the gear —dialled-in — to make the most of things.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Example:

Coming up IH-25 to Denver and expecting make an early morning delivery out near the airport, I’ve an idea of whom I will hear, and where.

I’ve an idea of where traffic will jam based on mapping, alone. Experience will contextual use by the 3rd, 4th time I’m through there.

And I’m letting others know WHERE the backups start.

During delivery (minimum of an hour; usually 2+) the radio is on that I’m listening — and asking questions — about my exit route. Either to the company yard an hour away, or to a shipper possibly back south.

It’s part of my duty to relay what I’m hearing to others. State, Highway, Time, Direction, mile markers; updates.

It’s not a surprise that I have an active mental map of what’s out ahead before I depart. The GPS, G-Map, WAZE, etc, are not a substitute.

Passivity is deadly at highway speed.
Universe isn’t aware of your need.
It must be brought into the open.
Spoken

Sidestep the clutch and graunch the gear engagement if “just listening” has been one’s habit.

If I’m sent to the company yard at Greeley, CO, it’s a comforting sound to hear the cattle haulers being called in at the nearby plant. Their joking and helping each other. The type model to emulate (like going home). Give ‘em some hell I’m pulling up to that taco truck near the RR tracks in old downtown they can’t leave yet to get that good bargain. Mmmm.

THAT is exactly when one will ask if I’m heading out on IH-76. And tell me about something I hadn’t heard. Changes my day. Focuses my plan to use my remaining clock hours to best effect as I’m supposed to drop this now empty trailer and get under a pre-load headed to Minnesota.

In turn I make sure to recount what I found coming up IH-25 from New Mexico last night and this morning. Very high winds near the Spanish Peaks (where one of my grandmothers was born 122-years ago in a mining camp).

“Home” is where you find it.
Citizen Band is the locator.

Last edited: