• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to GMRS

dmg1969

Hello all. I am brand new to GMRS. I got my license late last week and am waiting on my radio to arrive today. I just purchased a cheaper radio (Radioddity GM-30) until I get more established.

What I am wondering about is a mobile antenna. I currently have a HomePatrol-1 scanner installed in my vehicle and use a Laird ABSCAN (tri-band) antenna on a roof mounted NMO. I also have a Comet RS-720 lip mount that I used in the past before I drilled for the NMO mount on the roof. I am debating if I want to put the GMRS antenna on the lip mount (I found one that does not require a ground plane) and keeping the scanner antenna on the roof. Or...would it be better to put the GMRS antenna on the roof and the scanner antenna on the lip mount?

Also, I assume I need to be careful about transmitting on the GMRS if the scanner is on (or not have the scanner on at all while transmitting)?

Edit: This is the antenna I am looking at. The brand is RFMAX and the site is Arcadian (ArcAntenna.com). GMRS Mobile UHF Whip Antenna with Black NMO Base, No Ground plane required, RBC-450-2-N.

I am also considering this one that I found on the mygmrs website. However, it looks like this one requires a ground plane, so it would have to be a roof install.
Nagoya NMO-72 Dual Band Antenna

Dave

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ground planes are an important thing, even with 'no ground plane' antennas.

Mounting the antenna off on the edge of the roof like that is going to result in a lopsided radiation pattern. In other words, it's going to make the antenna a bit directional away from the car roof. It also may make it difficult to properly tune the antenna.

For better performance, you'd want a suitable UHF antenna mounted on the roof of the vehicle with at least 6" of metal in all directions under the base. 6" is 1/4 wavelength around the GMRS frequencies, and will give you better performance.

You do need some separation between the scanner and GMRS antenna. Too much RF from the transmitter can overload the scanner receiver. At minimum, it'll overload the receiver and it will not hear anything while the GMRS radio is transmitting. At worst, too much RF can reach the scanner front end and damage it.
The amount of spacing depends on antenna gain, coaxial cable length, transmitter power and probably a few other variables I'm forgetting. Short answer is, the more spacing the better. I'd put a couple of feet between them if you can.

I would skip the Nagoya. It's a dual band antenna. That would technically work on GMRS, but you'll do better with the dedicated UHF antenna.

Your Laird scanner antenna would work fine for GMRS use if you wanted to do that, but you'd probably be better off using that for the scanner and using a dedicated UHF antenna for GMRS.

I'm not familiar with the RFMax antennas sold by Arc Antenna. I am much more familiar with Larsen and EM Wave, both which are reputable brands and will likely outlast your vehicle and your radio.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
First off, props to you for asking. Many people just move forward with some idea and then wonder why they get subpar results (or don't get the results they were hoping for). Second, Matt (mmckenna) is a tremendous source of information and will never steer you wrong. I can't add anything to what he said so I will just say ditto. I'm also not familiar with the RFMax antennas but the description sounds good. Price is not cheap like, well, cheap-made antennas so it could be that it's a quality antenna. As Matt eluded to, EMWave, Larsen, Laird, and PCTel are all solid brands and should provide a few options. For any radio band, a dedicated antenna will perform better than a multi-band, though there are excellent multi-band antennas out there as options when needed (ham or pub safety where they use multiple bands in a single radio).

dmg1969

Ground planes are an important thing, even with 'no ground plane' antennas.

Mounting the antenna off on the edge of the roof like that is going to result in a lopsided radiation pattern. In other words, it's going to make the antenna a bit directional away from the car roof. It also may make it difficult to properly tune the antenna.

For better performance, you'd want a suitable UHF antenna mounted on the roof of the vehicle with at least 6" of metal in all directions under the base. 6" is 1/4 wavelength around the GMRS frequencies, and will give you better performance.

You do need some separation between the scanner and GMRS antenna. Too much RF from the transmitter can overload the scanner receiver. At minimum, it'll overload the receiver and it will not hear anything while the GMRS radio is transmitting. At worst, too much RF can reach the scanner front end and damage it.
The amount of spacing depends on antenna gain, coaxial cable length, transmitter power and probably a few other variables I'm forgetting. Short answer is, the more spacing the better. I'd put a couple of feet between them if you can.

I would skip the Nagoya. It's a dual band antenna. That would technically work on GMRS, but you'll do better with the dedicated UHF antenna.

Your Laird scanner antenna would work fine for GMRS use if you wanted to do that, but you'd probably be better off using that for the scanner and using a dedicated UHF antenna for GMRS.

I'm not familiar with the RFMax antennas sold by Arc Antenna. I am much more familiar with Larsen and EM Wave, both which are reputable brands and will likely outlast your vehicle and your radio.
Thank you for the input, mmckenna. I actually ended up getting a Tram 1126-B 1/4 wave UHF antenna and will mount that on the roof. I will move the scanner antenna to the Comet lip mount.

Tram 1126-B.jpg

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the input, mmckenna. I actually ended up getting a Tram 1126-B 1/4 wave UHF antenna and will mount that on the roof. I will move the scanner antenna to the Comet lip mount.

View attachment 156623

Those Trams are very similar in appearance to the Laird 1/4 wave that I often run for VHF. I'm not sure if they're exactly the same but they do look very similar. If you have access to an antenna analyzer (or someone who does) you could install the antenna and test it with the analyzer to see what it reads.

dmg1969

First off, props to you for asking. Many people just move forward with some idea and then wonder why they get subpar results (or don't get the results they were hoping for). Second, Matt (mmckenna) is a tremendous source of information and will never steer you wrong. I can't add anything to what he said so I will just say ditto. I'm also not familiar with the RFMax antennas but the description sounds good. Price is not cheap like, well, cheap-made antennas so it could be that it's a quality antenna. As Matt eluded to, EMWave, Larsen, Laird, and PCTel are all solid brands and should provide a few options. For any radio band, a dedicated antenna will perform better than a multi-band, though there are excellent multi-band antennas out there as options when needed (ham or pub safety where they use multiple bands in a single radio).
Thanks for your reply as well, 03msc. I decided to try the Tram UHF. I'll be curious to see how it works. The reviews for GMRS seemed pretty positive. And the price on Amazon was right. I saw them for $9.99, but I opted for a seller that offered Prime so I could get it for the weekend! That way, I can just pop the tri-band off and put the UHF on. I can re-mount the scanner antenna at my leisure. The wife is dragging me mattress shopping on Saturday, so I should be able to test the radio out.

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
That Tram Antenna is a good buy. I have both the vhf and uhf on my car for a couple of years now and car washes cant kill them. work great for my scanner and 2way radio.

Steve

dmg1969

That Tram Antenna is a good buy. I have both the vhf and uhf on my car for a couple of years now and car washes cant kill them. work great for my scanner and 2way radio.

Steve
Steve, I think I paid $17.99 for it. Almost twice the other seller at $9.99, but at least I will have it by Friday and not in 10 days. Yeah, from what I read online...a lot of people are happy with it for GMRS.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for your reply as well, 03msc. I decided to try the Tram UHF. I'll be curious to see how it works. The reviews for GMRS seemed pretty positive. And the price on Amazon was right. I saw them for $9.99, but I opted for a seller that offered Prime so I could get it for the weekend! That way, I can just pop the tri-band off and put the UHF on. I can re-mount the scanner antenna at my leisure. The wife is dragging me mattress shopping on Saturday, so I should be able to test the radio out.

They are one of the few Tram/Browning products that seem to be decent. But to be fair, there's not much for them to screw up.

You can get those antennas from Larsen cheaper than Tram if you shop around.

One thing you need to watch for on that type of antenna design: Moisture will eventually find its way under the antenna and you run the risk of corroding out the mount. Just keep an eye on it, remove the antenna periodically and clean carefully. If you see any signs of corrosion, toss that antenna and get the EM Wave or Larsen NMOQC. Only a few bucks more and will last you a lifetime.

dmg1969

So I installed the new Tram 1/4 wave on the roof. It definitely improved reception as I was able to hear a distant repeater sitting in my driveway at home that I would never have heard before. And I heard a conversation on said repeater the whole way down the highway to work. Granted it was spotty and staticky, but I think that is just because of the cheap radio and the mountains I pass through on the way. The scanner antenna was moved to the Comet lip NMO mount and appears to be very happy based on the reception. I am joined to two repeaters and am waiting on a request to join the main one in Harrisburg that I intended to use. That being said, the past few days on the way to and from work, I have not noticed a huge amount of use of those three repeaters. Yesterday, I heard that conversation...today I heard nothing on any of the three repeaters. So, I may end up just using the GMRS along with another radio for family comms and scanning interesting UHF frequencies.

Attachments

• 20240218_131151.jpg
    20240218_131151.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240218_131157.jpg
    20240218_131157.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 44

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Great! Your photos are a testament to how a drilled hole mounted antenna can look clean and much less noticeable than one on a mag mount. Good job!

dmg1969

Great! Your photos are a testament to how a drilled hole mounted antenna can look clean and much less noticeable than one on a mag mount. Good job!
Thanks, but I used an existing NMO mount that I had installed when the car was new. I didn't have the equipment or the guts to do it on my own. I did install the lip mount on the rear lift gate though! LOL.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, but I used an existing NMO mount that I had installed when the car was new. I didn't have the equipment or the guts to do it on my own. I did install the lip mount on the rear lift gate though! LOL.

Oh I didn't install mine myself, either. I was just saying that's the best method for sure.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Just got my (GMRS) call numbers today, would like to know how to get on groups frequencies and codes in Cumberland/Harnett /Moore co areas. Thanks for any help

Acorn12

They are one of the few Tram/Browning products that seem to be decent. But to be fair, there's not much for them to screw up.

You can get those antennas from Larsen cheaper than Tram if you shop around.

One thing you need to watch for on that type of antenna design: Moisture will eventually find its way under the antenna and you run the risk of corroding out the mount. Just keep an eye on it, remove the antenna periodically and clean carefully. If you see any signs of corrosion, toss that antenna and get the EM Wave or Larsen NMOQC. Only a few bucks more and will last you a lifetime.
Hi, my head is spinning a bit about antennas after reading your very informative posts. I am new to radio and just bought GMRS 50 watt radios for myself and my family as well as hand held 5 watt radios. Am just looking for an antenna that is removable from truck to truck us and home use, no drilling and nothing permanent is necessary just quick deployment and mobility. Really just looking for an emergency preparedness setup. Originally was looking at the Nagoya UT-72G for price and package. Do you recommend something different in my application? If needed I'd like to take the antenna from 50 watt radio setup and use it with my 5 watt handheld radio as well. Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi, my head is spinning a bit about antennas after reading your very informative posts. I am new to radio and just bought GMRS 50 watt radios for myself and my family as well as hand held 5 watt radios. Am just looking for an antenna that is removable from truck to truck us and home use, no drilling and nothing permanent is necessary just quick deployment and mobility. Really just looking for an emergency preparedness setup. Originally was looking at the Nagoya UT-72G for price and package. Do you recommend something different in my application? If needed I'd like to take the antenna from 50 watt radio setup and use it with my 5 watt handheld radio as well. Thanks!

This is one of those few places where a magnetic mount antenna makes a lot of sense*

Here's my opinion on this:
I don't like to screw around with cheap antennas. The antenna is the most important part of your setup. Don't buy a $300+ radio and then hook it up to a $19 Chinese antenna and expect it to work like a $300 radio. It's not, it's going to work like a cheap $19 Chinese antenna.

In other words, you can do better with a little more investment. Good antennas are always a good investment.

-Go with the NMO mount. It is the standard. That'll give you the most flexibility to choose the right antenna for the job.
-There is not one antenna that works best in all situations. Different antennas for different applications.
-Base antennas are a good option. UHF is line of sight. You want the antenna up as high as you can get it if you want any sort of range.
-You get what you pay for.

The only time I use magnetic mounts is for testing. I have two of these:
It's expensive, but it's a good mount. One of mine is probably 35 years old.
Here's a less expensive option:

Larsen makes excellent stuff. They stand behind their products and have live people you can talk to if you need help. They also sell replacement parts, so these don't have to be more Chinese throw away junk.

Both those magnetic mounts come with an "FME" connector on the end of the cable. That is a small diameter connector that is designed to be routed through a vehicle easily. You then buy the FME to whatever adapter you need to fit your radio:
Here's the UHF adapter that -may- fit your mobile: FP: Adapter; FME Male to PL259/UHF Male
Here's the SMA adapter that -may[ fit your portable: FSF : Adapter FME to SMA Female

Then you need the antenna.

There's some thought that needs to go into the exact type of antenna you choose. Like I said, it's not a "one size fits all" thing. Some will immediately jump to the highest gain they can get. Some will buy the ugliest thing they can find. You need the right one for your application.
Not sure what part of the country you live in, but that may dictate which type of antenna you need.

Gain is a trade off. More gain makes it look like you are running more RF power, but that's achieved by focusing that power towards the horizon. That can suck in the mountains, or it can work well on the plains. Lower gain antennas give you a more globular radiation pattern, which can be beneficial in the mountains or even in a city where repeaters may be on top of tall buildings.

Truth is, RF power, wether achieved by higher output from the radio, or through antenna gain, doesn't always make a huge difference. UHF tends to be line of sight. If the two antennas can see each other, usually it only takes a little bit of power to make things work.

So, consider your antenna options. Again, there is no one antenna that works best for every application. If someone tells you that, walk away.
My personal favorite for my usage and my location is a simple 1/4 wave. NMOQSPEC : Quarter Wave Omnidirectinal Whip Antenna
That antenna will need to be trimmed to the right length to work on GMRS. That is easy to do and they should include a "cut chart" with the antenna that will get you pretty close without test equipment (like an SWR meter). Look on Page 212 of this document:

Or, you may want to try an antenna with some gain:

Nice thing is with the NMO mount, is you can easily swap out antennas and use what is right for the application.

And you don't have to use Larsen antennas on a Larsen NMO mount. It's a standard mount and there are many manufacturers that make antennas that will fit. EM Wave is a good manufacturer, and I've started spec'ing their antennas at work. Laird make some good stuff.
Steer clear of the amateur radio brands, or the Chinese stuff. You won't do yourself any favors with that.

As for home use, yeah, you could stick that NMO magnetic mount on top of the fridge, air conditioner, file cabinet, etc. and it'll work, but you will not get good range with it. An external base antenna mounted up as high as you can safely/reasonably get it will do wonders for your range.

* (make sure your vehicle is steel and the magnet will stick, some newer vehicles/Fords are aluminum)

Acorn12

Amazing info! I am so grateful. I live in Queens NY (higher buildings) and travel mainly towards Long Island (suburbs). Was wondering what you think about the tri magnet NMO. I was also thinking the N9TAX would be great for purposes for portable indoor and outdoor use, that would hit long distance when put on elevated locations.

I see unfortunately the antennafarm is down at the moment, I'd like to order soon. Are there any antennas by EM Wave that you can recommend? Sorry I really am quite green in this space and am not sure which would be best. I have my GMRS license and am working towards my ham. Any antennas do it all? Or best to get two separate ones.

Acorn12

Is there a general antenna type kit that is sold in 1/4, 1/2, and 5/8 to cover it all?