• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to Harris and need some information.

pete94

Like I said, I'm new to Harris but up to speed on Motorola stuff. I'm now looking at the Liberty XG-100P radios and have some questions you pros can help with.
When looking at radios on Ebay I see sellers posting pics of the features. Most are obvious and I can decipher what they are. I see some units that show "Wideband Disabled" and others that don't show that "feature" My question (more to come for sure) is if the radio DOESNT say wideband disabled does that mean it will do wideband? Since I'll be using the radio for HAM use wideband is a must.

An answer to the question will get me going while I look. Are there a set of features that one would look for when shopping for a Ham use radio?

Thanks for any answers to the above questions.

prcguy

The XG-100P is a Unity radio, Liberty is a Thales product. Typically option 58 will take away wide band and the radio will not be that great for amateur or GMRS. Otherwise its whatever features you want or need. If you won't be listening to any P25 Phase II systems then you can do without that feature. If you want AES encryption or DES then you would look for a compatible feature. I would also look for late version hardware like R20. Early hardware radios are more likely to have intermittent keypads.

Here is a generic Harris feature list that you can compare with what's in an XG-100P.

pete94

The XG-100P is a Unity radio, Liberty is a Thales product. Typically option 58 will take away wide band and the radio will not be that great for amateur or GMRS. Otherwise its whatever features you want or need. If you won't be listening to any P25 Phase II systems then you can do without that feature. If you want AES encryption or DES then you would look for a compatible feature. I would also look for late version hardware like R20. Early hardware radios are more likely to have intermittent keypads.

Here is a generic Harris feature list that you can compare with what's in an XG-100P.

Thanks for the reply, that's a good list for decoding the features. I see two wideband disable options 50 and 58 but no discreet wideband enable option. So at this point I'm still unsure that a radio has wideband enabled. Can you assume that no disable options means you have wideband......sounds dangerous.

Does anyone have a option list they could share from a radio with wideband enabled and some normal options like P25 that would be ham friendly?

Thanks for the help

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply, that's a good list for decoding the features. I see two wideband disable options 50 and 58 but no discreet wideband enable option. So at this point I'm still unsure that a radio has wideband enabled. Can you assume that no disable options means you have wideband......sounds dangerous.

Does anyone have a option list they could share from a radio with wideband enabled and some normal options like P25 that would be ham friendly?

Thanks for the help
Your radio is not OMAP, so 50 doesn’t apply. If it has 58, it is narrow only. If it does not have 58, it is narrow and wide capable. (You do not want 58.)

-B

prcguy

Like I said, I'm new to Harris but up to speed on Motorola stuff. I'm now looking at the Liberty XG-100P radios and have some questions you pros can help with.
When looking at radios on Ebay I see sellers posting pics of the features. Most are obvious and I can decipher what they are. I see some units that show "Wideband Disabled" and others that don't show that "feature" My question (more to come for sure) is if the radio DOESNT say wideband disabled does that mean it will do wideband? Since I'll be using the radio for HAM use wideband is a must.

An answer to the question will get me going while I look. Are there a set of features that one would look for when shopping for a Ham use radio?

Thanks for any answers to the above questions.
What price is the 100P your looking at?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Why do you want a XG-100P for HAM and GMRS? There are many portables much more suited for this, that aren't nearly as heavy, large, and expensive

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
Why do you want a XG-100P for HAM and GMRS? There are many portables much more suited for this, that aren't nearly as heavy, large, and expensive
I originally started looking down this path to avoid carrying multiple devices. I was looking for a radio for personal, FD use, and as a scanner. I wonder if the OP is looking for the samething.

prcguy

When you play in the harris sandbox....be ready to pay...
Not necessarily. I picked up an XG-100P in really nice shape with nearly all needed features for $400 and have another one on the way for under $400. I've bought XG-100Ms for $295 plus brand new CH721 control heads for $39, new mics for $22 and so on. You just need to shop around. The 100P and 100M are much easier to deal with for programming and other things and after owning an APX I prefer the Harris Unity series.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
They are obviously end of life with Harris, so no, they won't fix them and support will be minimal. Firmware updates still occasionally come out, but bug fixes only... no new features.

If you are looking to hack enabled features etc, these radios are nothing like Motorola. There is no Depot tool to fiddle with the feature string.

prcguy

I thought the XG-100P was the one to stay away from, couldn't be repaired, and no parts were ever available for it? Also, is there a... hacking forum for these kinds of radios, where more pointed questions could be asked?
I think the Thales Liberty is the one to avoid, I had one for about 2 weeks then dumped it. I own a couple of XG-100Ps and a bunch of friends are buying them and everyone is very happy with their purchase. It is an older design than an APX8000, its bigger than an APX8000 and appears to be more fragile than an APX8000. It will do most of what an APX8000 can do, probably 95% and they seem to be very reliable so far, otherwise big agencies would not have been using them over the years. There is probably no factory service for them and some parts are unobtainable but that has been the case since day one, Harris never allowed third party component level repair of these.

The bottom line is you can get an APX8000 for various prices, the cheapest whored out one I have seen was $2.5k and they usually run more like $3.5k to $4.5k. That's a lot of $$ for a used handheld and I think its ludicrous. You can buy really nice tested XG-100Ps with WB and nearly all features for $750 and I bought a perfect one for $400 and another is in the mail that was $355. That means the Harris is about 1/10 the cost of an APX8000.

There are people that know stuff about these radios and are willing to share their knowledge and other things for free. Once you get a radio you will eventually run into them and become part of the group.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
They are obviously end of life with Harris, so no, they won't fix them and support will be minimal. Firmware updates still occasionally come out, but bug fixes only... no new features.

If you are looking to hack enabled features etc,
these radios are nothing like Motorola. There is no Depot tool to fiddle with the feature string.
I value my account here, and that is the thing I wanted to ask, but didn't. Strange that there isn't, though. Those radios have developed somewhat of a cult following.
I think the Thales Liberty is the one to avoid, I had one for about 2 weeks then dumped it. I own a couple of XG-100Ps and a bunch of friends are buying them and everyone is very happy with their purchase. It is an older design than an APX8000, its bigger than an APX8000 and appears to be more fragile than an APX8000. It will do most of what an APX8000 can do, probably 95% and they seem to be very reliable so far, otherwise big agencies would not have been using them over the years. There is probably no factory service for them and some parts are unobtainable but that has been the case since day one, Harris never allowed third party component level repair of these.

The bottom line is you can get an APX8000 for various prices, the cheapest whored out one I have seen was $2.5k and they usually run more like $3.5k to $4.5k. That's a lot of $$ for a used handheld and I think its ludicrous. You can buy really nice tested XG-100Ps with WB and nearly all features for $750 and I bought a perfect one for $400 and another is in the mail that was $355. That means the Harris is about 1/10 the cost of an APX8000.

There are people that know stuff about these radios and are willing to share their knowledge and other things for free. Once you get a radio you will eventually run into them and become part of the group.
I couldn't remember. I've followed these portables at a distance for years; one was supposed to actually be a 152 in a public safety shell. I think I am about to drop the hammer and see what it's all about, but I don't want one if I can't figure out a way to cheaply get it feature configurated how I would want, and then the other things I would like to poke around on.

I think 400 is reasonable for what it is capable of in the footprint it has, but looking at the programming and keyloader cable costs, wow.

Far as the last part, I have been sailing these interconnected tubes since the beginning. I've never found a p25.ca for harris stuff, and they kicked me out years ago lol.

I will probably never have a personal 8k. I have most of a 7k I was building and gave up. I might buy one of the next radiophones soon as people start ****canning them, but I am probably done with moto products. Kenwood and Relm? have some stuff that looks interesting.

Can you get a TAC account if you buy one of these?

prcguy

If you are looking to hack enabled features etc, these radios are nothing like Motorola. There is no Depot tool to fiddle with the feature string.
You are right, there is no easy to acquire depot software for Harris. However, getting one maxed out with features doesn't seem to be a problem from what I hear. You just have to find the right source.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
For an all band radio, the 100P is really hard to beat at a ~$500 price point, that's for sure. It's built like a brick but batteries and accessories are still available, they just tend to be fussy radios at times for some people.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
It's built like a brick but batteries and accessories are still available, they just tend to be fussy radios at times for some people.
I carried both a MX and an STX as a police officer. Have two Saber R's on the shelf. I'm not afraid of no pants dragger!

I just have been doing a deep dive for no reason lately, and gathered the impression they were flaky as crap. I drop my stuff, and don't want to learn to love this thing, invest in its ecosystem and kill it or snap the antenna off because the antenna mount is made of the same plastic moto knobs and antennas are made of... if that makes any sense