New to SDR and would like some help with choice(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

meridiangold

So I'm a long time licensed ham operator who's looking to get into SDR (receiving only). I already have the standard HF, 2m, 70cm gear and a D-Star capable HT. I also have a pretty capable desktop and a couple of laptops to dedicate to SDR. I also own a couple of scanners, one that does some trunking formats but not P25 which I'd like to cover along with most other unencrypted traffic. Some research I've done suggested using two dongles and some says I can do monitoring with some specific software and only one dongle. I'd appreciate some advice on what hardware/software would be appropriate. I'm Windows savvy, and not against the idea of adding Linux to the mix eventually. Since I'm primarily interested in scanning in this endeavor I guess I could go for the Uniden SDS100/200 but the the learning curve and capabilities of these devices is limited when it comes to learning SDR. My budget runs about $400.00 US. Thus far the HF Bundle NESDR SMart XTR from Noolec seems to be a decent candidate, along with either the cable connector bundle or the plain connector bundle. Advice and opinions are very welcome. Sorry for the long post.

meridiangold

Am I right in understanding when both tuners on the RSPdx visible bandwidth is reduced to just 2Mhz on either? I would prefer a much wider visible bandwidth on at least one tuner if the other runs at a reduced factor. I do like the general specs on the device. I'm also wondering how compatible it is with other brands of software? I'd like to be able to load frequency blocks via some form of CSV file. Is the native software friendly enough for an old guy?

KR0SIV

Please do yourself a favor and avoid RSP when you're thinking about P25 trunking. There just isn't much software that has any support for it.
To listen to a P25 trunked system on windows I'd recommend either DSDPlus Fast Lane or SDRTrunk, for linux I'd run OP25 or SDRTrunk.

You'll want 2-3 RTL based SDRs, I highly recommend those from the rtl-sdr blog https://rtl-sdr.com

The SDR you need will vary based on your needs but for P25 trunking either RTL or a HackRF with a decent feed would also do nicely.

EDIT

Here are a few video tutorials I've done on this:

OP25 Installation and Configuration Tutorial | Setup OP25 P25 Phase 1 and 2 SDR Decoder on Linux Pi
RTL SDR Setup P25 Trunking With 1 SDR and DSDPlus FastLane

boatbod

Please do yourself a favor and avoid RSP when you're thinking about P25 trunking. There just isn't much software that has any support for it.
To listen to a P25 trunked system on windows I'd recommend either DSDPlus Fast Lane or SDRTrunk, for linux I'd run OP25 or SDRTrunk.

You'll want 2-3 RTL based SDRs, I highly recommend those from the rtl-sdr blog https://rtl-sdr.com
OP25 can use a single dongle and tune anywhere in a P25 spectrum. If you want more simultaneous feeds you can either add more dongles or use sdr with a wider bandwidth.

It's also my understanding that the RSP can be used with GNU Radio & gr-osmosdr through the SoapySDR interface. It's more complicated to set up than an RTL but if you have one I'm pretty sure it can be made to work if you like a challenge.

KR0SIV

Yes that's true soapy could be used, I'm just trying to think of what would be best for somebody that is fairly new or completely new to SDR.

I love OP25 and use it day and night but for a newbie I'll likely recommend SDR trunk first just because it's a lot easier for someone new especially somebody who's accustomed to windows.

Using an RTL keeps the configuration to a minimum for a new user as well at least a lot easier than doing something like an RSP

meridiangold

The SDR you need will vary based on your needs but for P25 trunking either RTL or a HackRF with a decent feed would also do nicely.

EDIT

OP25 Installation and Configuration Tutorial | Setup OP25 P25 Phase 1 and 2 SDR Decoder on Linux Pi
Yes that's true soapy could be used, I'm just trying to think of what would be best for somebody that is fairly new or completely new to SDR.

I love OP25 and use it day and night but for a newbie I'll likely recommend SDR trunk first just because it's a lot easier for someone new especially somebody who's accustomed to windows.

Using an RTL keeps the configuration to a minimum for a new user as well at least a lot easier than doing something like an RSP
Thanks for the advice. I have since changed my mind and decided to purchase the RTL-SDR blog version dongle(s). I've budgeted about $400.00 Canadian for hardware and software necessities. Of course anyone knows this will be deemed insufficient when the hobby bites...lol. Thanks for the advice.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber

I use the RSP1 every day with DSDPlus FastLane and it works great decoding P25, NXDN, DMR, etc. I believe that Denny also provided support for the RSP1A in his SDRTrunk application.

Last edited:

meridiangold

EDIT

Thanks for the advice, and the link to videos. I've been considering the HackRF. What I've gathered from reading other posts is that the HackRF, while very capable, is somewhat overpriced and likely beyond my requirements, me being new to SDR. It's not off the table though. I don't expect dedicated trunking to fill my adventure. My ham radio hobby didn't even though I thought it would. I have too many Ht's already heh heh.

slicerwizard

Thanks for the advice. I have since changed my mind and decided to purchase the RTL-SDR blog version dongle(s). I've budgeted about $400.00 Canadian for hardware and software necessities. Of course anyone knows this will be deemed insufficient when the hobby bites...lol. Thanks for the advice.
The FlightAware Pro Sticks have considerably better sensitivity than the RTL-SDR dongles in the UHF/700/800/900/1000 bands. They look like a standard dongle to software, so they work with pretty much all of the SDR / trunking/digital decoder programs.

meridiangold

The FlightAware Pro Sticks have considerably better sensitivity than the RTL-SDR dongles in the UHF/700/800/900/1000 bands. They look like a standard dongle to software, so they work with pretty much all of the SDR / trunking/digital decoder programs.

Thanks for mentioning this. I monitor the HF and VHF traffic. I see myself going the way of more data based information. I'm on a reasonably busy flyway.

meridiangold

I use the RSP1 every day with DSDPlus FastLane and it works great decoding P25, NXDN, DMR, etc. I believe that Denny also provided support for the RSP1A in his SDRTrunk application.

As I understand it, DSDPlus Fastlane can be very user friendly. It's mentioned in lots of posts. I'm an SDR newbie and it cooperates with windows. Thats a plus.

Bustergrn

I run RTL-SDR UDB dongle. I own three, I typically only use 1 at a time. $50 for 2 pack of them on Amazon about a year ago.

On Windows 10, I use SDRTrunk with a single SDR. I monitor mostly the P25 Phase I system here in NE Oklahoma. I've got several systems and conventional monitoring frequencies saved in the program. SDR Trunk is great, easy to use and install. It lacks the ability to hold on a P25 Talkgroup but the developer has made great strides with prioritization in the alias list which makes things better. Decode and audio is really good. Latest versions have taken most of the difficulty out of the installation/operation. Good starting place for P25 decoding.

On Raspberry Pi 4, I use OP25 headless with a single SDR with use the new html version. I connect to the http page from my Windows PC to hold talkgroups and monitor performance. With Raspberry Pi 4, CPU utilization at 10% while decoding busy P25 system. Easy to install, easy to use. Excellent support here from both devs. RPI4 was $120. Buy the version with a fan, the SDR gets a little warm while decoding.

I have a programming and scripting background and a general user level with Windows and Linux. I didn't find either of these great pieces of software to be difficult to install, set up and run.

Good Luck to ya! SDR is super fun. I own several scanners and fight Simulcast interference with them. I don't seem to have those issues on either of these SDR kits.

meridiangold

I run RTL-SDR UDB dongle. I own three, I typically only use 1 at a time. $50 for 2 pack of them on Amazon about a year ago.

On Windows 10, I use SDRTrunk with a single SDR. I monitor mostly the P25 Phase I system here in NE Oklahoma. I've got several systems and conventional monitoring frequencies saved in the program. SDR Trunk is great, easy to use and install. It lacks the ability to hold on a P25 Talkgroup but the developer has made great strides with prioritization in the alias list which makes things better. Decode and audio is really good. Latest versions have taken most of the difficulty out of the installation/operation. Good starting place for P25 decoding.

On Raspberry Pi 4, I use OP25 headless with a single SDR with use the new html version. I connect to the http page from my Windows PC to hold talkgroups and monitor performance. With Raspberry Pi 4, CPU utilization at 10% while decoding busy P25 system. Easy to install, easy to use. Excellent support here from both devs. RPI4 was $120. Buy the version with a fan, the SDR gets a little warm while decoding.

I have a programming and scripting background and a general user level with Windows and Linux. I didn't find either of these great pieces of software to be difficult to install, set up and run.

Good Luck to ya! SDR is super fun. I own several scanners and fight Simulcast interference with them. I don't seem to have those issues on either of these SDR kits.

Thanks for the advice. My plan is to follow the "keep it simple" rule, as this is my first foray into the whole SDR thing. Initially, my plan was to budget for the expensive stuff, and have since learned quite a lot from the advice I'm getting here. Quality over quantity, and function over flexibility. I'm pretty comfortable with windows, and do Python occasionally. Plus I'm familiar with Linux. The gear I have already decodes LTR, EDACS and Moto, so I'm convinced a couple of dongles to start will get me into the other parts of the trunking spectrum. It's going to be a fun adventure. Thanks again.

Bustergrn

Let me know if I can help! I'm no expert but I've worked out my fair share of bugs in SDR. I think you'll find it easy and enjoyable quickly. I'm addicted to it myself. The RasPi4 made it really cost-effective and is so simple to operate.

:cool:

meridiangold

Let me know if I can help! I'm no expert but I've worked out my fair share of bugs in SDR. I think you'll find it easy and enjoyable quickly. I'm addicted to it myself. The RasPi4 made it really cost-effective and is so simple to operate.

Thanks again! If I've learned anything since becoming a ham operator it's to listen to good advice AND understand it before diving into the fray. I especially learned that when I manually programmed one of my scanners with LTR, EDACS and Motorola variety frequencies. Many oops resulted...heh heh.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Hi there, Long time user/early SDR adopter, here, who has used most of the combinations others have spoken of here.

Long story short, if I were just starting out, I'd take a stab at SDRtrunk. Also, it is very convenient if you can have just one dongle per trunked system you want to monitor. For example, I use the airspy mini with SDR trunk to monitor my local trunked system. I have one old laptop dedicated to EMS, one to law enforcement and one for "interesting/rare" stuff. In this case, since its 700mhz, the airspy mini can cover the system by itself with its 6mhz. If you are listening to an 800mhz site, you'll need to figure out if you need more bandwidth or not for the site(s) you want to monitor). if so you could add a cheaper dongle too or use the regular/ full blown airspy which has more bandwidth.

In summary, fewer dongles makes life easier in the radio shack, and while the airspys and airspy minis cost a little more than cheaper dongles, it is my impression they perform better; at last check the mini was $100.

Regards,

PS if you let us know what trunked systems you want to monitor, we may be able to give further guidance.

Bustergrn

Thanks again! If I've learned anything since becoming a ham operator it's to listen to good advice AND understand it before diving into the fray. I especially learned that when I manually programmed one of my scanners with LTR, EDACS and Motorola variety frequencies. Many oops resulted...heh heh.

Been there many times. I learn by doing and failing. It's the way I'm programmed :LOL:

I agree with kb5udf...SDRTrunk is really easy to setup, configure and use. RR integration for subscribers is really helpful making programming easy. I use the cheaper RTL-SDRs, as noted earlier and while the Airspy gear is much more robust with more features, I don't have any issues with a single dongle on the P25 system here. I primarily use OP25 now with single dongle and don't miss much if any traffic with a good whitelist.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Two or more cheap dongles are more versatile and redundant than a mid-price SDRPlay/AirSpy/HackRF device. It sucks to have your one device die on a road trip where you can't fix/replace it quickly. The multiple devices also let you spread the data and decoding load over multiple USB interfaces and computers. I've got two cheap RTL-SDRs and one mid-price RSP1a. I haven't had the opportunity to bench the RSP1a, but it definitely performs somewhat worse in some bands than the dongles (got it used, so this may not be indicative of anything).

Status
Not open for further replies.