New Uniden SDS100 Handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
All I mean is you guys are all getting people's hopes up. It's gonna have this and it's gotta have that. It's not even real yet, theoretical yes, real no. People reading this thread are getting there hopes up for things that when the real scanner is released will probably have to be paid for to a activate on top of the cost of the radio which at first glance doesn't look cheap. All I want is people to realize that we know nothing about it yet not even that it's actually called the SDS100. What we do know is uniden is kind of due for the generation of its line of scanners but who knows when they will be released and what they will be capable of. Just take it back a notch and just wait for the information to be released, speculation almost always leads to disappointment as we build it into something bigger than it actually will be in our minds. Everyone wants something different let's just see what they offer before we go crazy here. Common sense man that's all.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I simply reposted an article which was on universal radio which said this radio will become available in 2018. It was then removed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I simply reposted an article which was on universal radio which said this radio will become available in 2018. It was then removed.

Yeah I know and I'm not knocking you for it. I actually appreciate you posting that it's all the speculating that drives me nuts people read way to into these things. Hell I'll buy 2 or 3 my self if they have solved the simulcast problems.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
Yeah I know and I'm not knocking you for it. I actually appreciate you posting that it's all the speculating that drives me nuts people read way to into these things.

No problem. Some on here get ridiculously crazy and love to stir the you-know-what.

jb_tas

Bloody UGLY, hope it not gonna look like this, its worse than the Whistler to look at, and that is dam ugly.

Nasby

The two biggest factors affecting our hobby:

1) Encryption
2) Simulcast Systems

Uniden and Whistler can't solve #1. Whoever solves #2 will sell many scanners

Fancy displays, built in GPS, NXDN, drop in chargers, etc. are all secondary.

Simple as that!!!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The two biggest factors affecting our hobby:

1) Encryption
2) Simulcast Systems

Uniden and Whistler can't solve #1. Whoever solves #2 will sell many scanners

Fancy displays, built in GPS, NXDN, drop in chargers, etc. are all secondary.

Simple as that!!!
Are you aware that there are countless places that don't have to worry about either of those?

What's a hot button topic in your area isn't necessarily relevant at all in another.

trp2525

Regarding the shape of the radio: There is an FCC submission (via Uniden) and a couple of links for a very similar-looking device called the West Marine VHF470G. It is a GPS equipped handheld marine two-way radio.

Take from that what you may - either Uniden is using the same form factor for a scanner, or people are being trolled with an elaborate mockup.

Very nice catch! Thank you for posting the information about the West Marine VHF470G radio (made by Uniden) as the form factor is almost identical to the "speculated/reported" SDS100 scanner. The dimensions are listed as 2.5" wide by 5.7" high by 1.5" deep. See the side-by-side pictures below for comparison.

As you already posted the VHF470G comes with a built-in GPS receiver so one would think that the scanner would also include the same. The VHF470G also includes Bluetooth per the listed specs.

You can see that the 3 soft keys are in identical locations on both radios and the overall size of the keyboards appears to be the same on both.

The "leaked" information thus far regarding the SDS100 stated that it came with a lithium ion battery. The specs for the VHF470G state that it comes with a rechargeable lithium ion battery (7.4 V 1800 mAh) and a charging cradle as well as both AC and DC adapters. The battery charging time in the owner's manual is listed as approximately 5 hours with the radio turned off.

The VHF470G comes with an external speaker/microphone included in the box. I wonder if the SDS100 (if it is actually released) will also include the same (microphone portion not needed of course in the scanner version).

According to the VHF470G owner's manual, it is available in either black or gray: https://newcontent.westmarine.com/d...ls/ELECTRONICS/VHF470 EN OM 12222017crops.pdf

Purely for informational purposes the price of the VHF470G is $249.99 and that includes a 3-year warranty.

Attachments

• Uniden SDS-100 form factor.JPG
    Uniden SDS-100 form factor.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 896
  • 18736397_LRG.jpg
    18736397_LRG.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,226

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
The West Marine VHF470B (black) / VHF470G (grey) will also be known as the Uniden MHS335BT...

I'm sticking with it being a hoax.

Attachments

• UNIMHS335BT-2.jpg
    UNIMHS335BT-2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,390

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
It will be real scanner and be as usual hugely flawed and broken as is seems Uniden standards now. Some backlight flaw, software wont work, buttons useless, have to pay for every feature that gets added extra, important features will get left out or wont work. Has to be that way or we wont have poop to do here right?

:lol:

SOFA_KING

I could hardly read through all the childish baseless "factual-like" statements, arguing and defensive/offensive posturing, and self-appointed "expert" banter through this long thread...So much so I didn't think I would comment on it. But Jay911 had some good analysis with his observations. And the West Marine radio is also a good point.

Could this be some mock-up someone did with that "wish list" display information? We have seen the same type of thing done by "dreamers" wanting amateur radio models "to look something like this", but got around as rumor of a pending model that never happened...because it wasn't real.

So, how does Universal Radio fit into all this? Do they have a habit of releasing information first? Have they ever jumped on the "rumor mill" before to be the first to "showcase" a new product? Might they have been duped by some fantasy mock-up someone did? And why would they put themselves in a position to "take the heat"? Then again, UPMan likes to play games. Could this be one of them? But if some real development were just around the corner, wouldn't a real photo of a semi-working prototype be used instead of a cartoon-like mock-up?

And what about the model number? That doesn't fit the Bearcat format that has been around for eons. That might indicate one of the amateur traits instead of an authentic source. And the omission of CQPSK demodulation for LSM systems is a serious letdown. That is probably the number one complaint with all scanners, save the Unication.

I'm not taking this so-called "leak" seriously. And I agree it is ugly. Even IF it did come to fruition, after all the defects and shortcomings the x36 scanners had I wouldn't jump until it was proven to be a good design. It's the old "fool me once" thing.

Phil

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully it gets released by summer 2018. That way I can pick one up for my birthday! If not-Christmas time it is!

I'm excited by the release of another Uniden scanner. It looks like it might have a lot of great new features along with old ones. Full color screen with customability? SDR capability/band scope waterfall!? Very cool. Would have been better for the device to have the band scope waterfall on board without the need of a computer though..maybe in a future model.

Hopefully Uniden includes DMR/NXDN on the new scanner, and after the release, they'll offer a paid NXDN upgrade for their 436/536 line.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Internal bluetooth is not likely a feature that you would ever see incorporated into a scanner.

I agree. It was challenging enough integrating a GPS receiver module into the 436 in a way that didn't affect reception due to RFI. Putting a transmitter inside the unit would be far more difficult. There's a reason the 536 Wi-Fi is an external dongle, rather than an internal device.

Status
Not open for further replies.