BCD436HP/BCD536HP: No data lock on receive of P25 system

msp563

Premium Subscriber
I have had no reception on our Maine statewide system for 2 hours. I am hearing traffic on the analog simulcast. I see excellent receive signal and the scanner is scanning the towers. I have noticed, though, that I never see a data lock. I've tried different towers and have found nothing that stands out to me in the system setup. It is possible this started when I changed towers - avoiding one and activating another. The time frame is about right but I didn't notice anything at the time. I have since tried different towers with no luck. Appreciate your thoughts.

msp563

Premium Subscriber
Sorry about that. I'm using the BC536HP and am watching two sites - Bald MT and the BOMARC sites. Changing active sites doesn't affect the problem.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I don't even see a BOMARC site on the system. What firmware version do you have in your scanner? In the scanner do this: MENU > Scroll to Settings > Press E > Scroll to See Scanner Information >Press E > Scroll to Firmware Version > Press E ---- Press AVOID to exit menus. You must have firmware version 1.28.16. It was found that a change in hardware prevented the scanner from decoding digital frequencies in the 171.225-173.9875 MHz range. The firmware update was issued to fix the problem.

msp563

Premium Subscriber
I don't even see a BOMARC site on the system. What firmware version do you have in your scanner? In the scanner do this: MENU > Scroll to Settings > Press E > Scroll to See Scanner Information >Press E > Scroll to Firmware Version > Press E ---- Press AVOID to exit menus. You must have firmware version 1.28.16. It was found that a change in hardware prevented the scanner from decoding digital frequencies in the 171.225-173.9875 MHz range. The firmware update was issued to fix the problem.
I do have version 1.28.16 in my machine. I just did the ProScan software upgrade to version 22.7 but I don't know if I did that before or after this problem started.

The BOMARC site is in Bangor and may be listed as a Bangor Site. The site is located at the old Air Force BOMARC missile site.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It appears that the Bangor and Bald Mountain sites are well within range. If you attach your favorites list file, I will take a look at it and check for programming problems.

Last edited:

msp563

Premium Subscriber
I have exported my favorites list but I am unable to attach the file due to the (.hpe) extension. Is there a step I'm missing?

msp563

Premium Subscriber
I've not created a zip file, only used it to unzip files. I think I have this right.

Attachments

• MSCOMM.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 4

msp563

Premium Subscriber
I'm seeing a change. The DAT indication comes up intermittently on both towers as the radio scans. Most of the time there is no data lock showing, but for some reason it appears to be happening ocaissionally.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I don't see any problems with the programming. Do you have the service types enabled in the profile? I would limit the sites to Bangor and Bald Mountain. Check your squelch setting. It should be at 2. Check if you accidentally turned on the attenuator. Do you have any FM Broadcast, TV station, or NOAA weather transmitters nearby?

msp563

Premium Subscriber
Bangor and Bald MT are the sites that I use regularly. The Bald MT site is less than 15 miles away and I have another radio monitoring the analog simulcast from that site. I looked at my settings and have compared my settings with a nearby friend.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Did you check your squelch setting? You can try using the filters on the 2 sites. I would avoid using the Auto filter. It really slows down your scanning.

msp563

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the squelch setting is good. My mind is fogging as it gets late. I will stop tonight but will try the filters in the morning and see if anything changes. Thanks for confirming my programming. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I looked at my settings and have compared my settings with a nearby friend.

If you are able, take your radio over to your friend's location and see how it works compared to his radio, if it does it is interference at your house, not programming. It will help determine what you need to do, before you start making a lot of changes in filters and what not that may create more issues.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you are able, take your radio over to your friend's location and see how it works compared to his radio, if it does it is interference at your house, not programming. It will help determine what you need to do, before you start making a lot of changes in filters and what not that may create more issues.
That's what it is beginning to look like. I didn't get an answer if there are any FM broadcast, TV station, or NOAA weather transmitters nearby. Of course, it could always be something like a USB switching power supply causing wideband interference at his house.

msp563

Premium Subscriber
I woke up this morning to the sound of voices in the den. Whatever the problem was it resolved itself during the night. I now have normal scanning and a steady data lock on both sites. From the logs it looks like things normalized around 1:00 this morning. Logs and recordings are working fine. I'm not sure what happened with the loss and then the return of normal function. I feel fairly confident now that I didn't cause the problem. I'm wondering if there might have been some multi-tower or system problem that the State finally resolved.

Thanks to you guys for the suggestions and help. I can get easily lost in the details of how these systems work. I'll be crossing my fingers and hoping things stay normal.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Whatever the problem was it resolved itself during the night.
Do you have all 4 frequencies entered for the Bangor and Bald Mountain sites? They are all control channel capable. The control channels could have changed frequencies. It could also be some electronic device in your home that is now off.