NOAA Weather Sat, decoding ?

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to decode Noaa weather satellite on 137.62 MHz, I got a pretty good signal on the first pass but the satellite will be closer on the next pass. I am using SDRuno software, what should I set the parameters to, filter 60, and FM, and NFM or WFM. I want to make sure I have everything setup properly for the next pass.
Thanks for any information you can provide.
Saint

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to decode Noaa weather satellite on 137.62 MHz, I got a pretty good signal on the first pass but the satellite will be closer on the next pass. I am using SDRuno software, what should I set the parameters to, filter 60, and FM, and NFM or WFM. I want to make sure I have everything setup properly for the next pass.
Thanks for any information you can provide.
Saint
Hello Saint. I've used the wxtoimg program for several years and I have mine set at wfm, 60k filter, NB to NBOFF, and AGC set to Fast. These settings have worked great for me.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Hello Saint. I've used the wxtoimg program for several years and I have mine set at wfm, 60k filter, NB to NBOFF, and AGC set to Fast. These settings have worked great for me.

Thanks for the information simmsrep, I tried two different passes on Noaa 15 sat. and the second pass was right over my position and did not really get anything. I will try again and see if I can get lucky.
Saint.

RichM

The subject says “decoding” but your question only pertains to your receiver. What decoding software are you using, wxtoimg or satdump? When you say you “didn’t really get anything” do you mean just audibly or a decoded image? Also there are 3 noaa satellites - 15, 18 and 19. By working all 3 you will triple your chances of getting a good high altitude pass per day.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
The subject says “decoding” but your question only pertains to your receiver. What decoding software are you using, wxtoimg or satdump? When you say you “didn’t really get anything” do you mean just audibly or a decoded image? Also there are 3 noaa satellites - 15, 18 and 19. By working all 3 you will triple your chances of getting a good high altitude pass per day.
I use multipsk decoder software, I got a good strong signal on 15, 18 and 19 sat's but I did not receive anything I could make out.
Saint

RichM

One thing I’ve learned through trial and error is not to have too much volume or gain going into the decoder. Too high volume will give you a washed out white image that is missing all the telemetry data. I use wxtoimg and found that a volume around 45 is the sweet spot for me. Another thing that helps is to listen to the signal, you want it nice and clear sounding. If it is distorted or saturated with static you won’t get anything usable. The antenna type isn’t as Important as having a clear view of the sky with few obstructions. RFI is another possible culprit that can be solved using a filter. Keep at it and you’ll eventually figure it out, it can be frustrating having such a short window of opportunity to experiment with. Good luck and keep us posted.