HP-2: NXDN NEXEDGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I don't think it's truly trunking, but we just have to program it as a trunking system in Uniden scanners. It would be a shame to have to program one frequency as an entire system. I think there's only like, what, 0-99 quick keys? This would mean a trunking system for every single conventional DMR frequency. In a busy city area, that's going to be a mess to program.

No. It doesn't take any more hassle or data to program a One Frequency Trunked system than it would to program the same talkgroup data on each conventional/simplex channel. The data is the same, it's just organized more logically in a One Frequency system than it would be by bastardizing a simplex/conventional freq with a bunch of extra parameters. Also, you can program multiple systems with the same Quick Key, and turn them on and off together. You can also turn groups of systems on and off with Service Types and other means.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
But lemme ask this. If I were to create just one DMR system, but make each frequency a site in the system. Then, just take every conventional DMR frequency in your area and program it in as another site. One frequency per site. Now you only have 1 system but lots of sites and you can scan all your local conventional DMR frequencies. Will this work and still let you tell the scanner a certain talk group ID, color code, and slot number?

You can have more than one frequency per site, and it would make sense to do so if the transmitters for multiple frequencies had the same location.

BUT

You can only program one usable definition for a given talkgroup ID in a system. So if TG 199 was trash collectors on one OFT system, and TG 199 was ambulance dispatch on another OFT system, you couldn't distinguish between which TG 199 you were actually monitoring if you tried to program them both into one OFT system. All TG 199 traffic will show up as whatever TG 199 channel was programmed first. So if any systems use any of the same talkgroup IDs, then they would have to be programmed as separate systems, not different sites & departments in the same OFT system.

So in the long run it's a bad idea. You're munging all the talkgroups together and you'd be making it difficult to tell if multiple systems were using the same TG IDs and distinguish between actual systems if they did.

CanesFan95

Ah, yep. That would screw it up. So maybe this idea would work only if you know for sure each frequency never happens to use any of the same TG IDs.

k3fs

This is one instance where Whistlers programming is better. No need for a new system or list. Just add the frequency with its talk groups. DMR or NXDN police can be in the same list with analog police.

OFT does not show the frequency. So you have to do a little extra work with sites and text tags to see that information. Then you have the limitations on talk groups as described above.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This is one instance where Whistlers programming is better. No need for a new system or list. Just add the frequency with its talk groups. DMR or NXDN police can be in the same list with analog police.

There is no functional difference. In each case, you have to enter the same amount of frequency and talkgroup info. Uniden simply chose to be consistent with their data formatting and have users enter talkgroups and site as part of a trunked system, even if the system only has one frequency. And favorite lists (Uniden's equivalent of scanlists) can have any mix of system types. Also, if a system only has one frequency, then there shouldn't be too much confusion about the frequency any fraffic for that system was broadcast on.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You can only program one usable definition for a given talkgroup ID in a system. So if TG 199 was trash collectors on one OFT system, and TG 199 was ambulance dispatch on another OFT system, you couldn't distinguish between which TG 199 you were actually monitoring if you tried to program them both into one OFT system.

You can distinguish if you label the radio id"s for each system.

I do that with some of the federal stuff I monitor. A few of them use tg 1 and tg 4095, so for example, I take all the ambulance radio id's and label them the name of the ambulance company, followed by the rid. Then take all the trash collector rid's and label them trash followed by the rid.

It does suck when both agencies are talking at the same time on the same tg but that does not seem to happen too often here by me.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There's no guarantee the radio IDs will be unique, although the odds are more in your favor. But it's far less work to program TGIDs into 2 separate OFT systems than it is to program all of the radio IDs into one kludge OFT system so you can distinguish the users using a shared TGID. And your approach doesn't allow separate Service Types to be assigned to TGID 4095 based on who is using it. If you program separate OFT systems, you can.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
if a system only has one frequency, then there shouldn't be too much confusion about the frequency any fraffic for that system was broadcast on.

Say there is a "one frequency Mototrbo system" in place that uses 15 different talkgroups. I know of several. How do you differentiate the different talkgroups? The timeslots are not "dynamically assigned" on these mototrbo systems, just like IP site connect systems aren't, they are dedicated. I want to add in these "one freq" or IP site connect" systems in with a scanlist with my other stuff (P25 VHF, analog)
So tell me how this will work properly, when TG and TS info is not shown, you just get DMR and whatever you titled the system? Color code has no meaning in this case to a scanner user, but Uniden toots the color code whistle like it really is necessary to be viewed, and TG's and TS's are not....

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Say there is a "one frequency Mototrbo system" in place that uses 15 different talkgroups. I know of several. How do you differentiate the different talkgroups? The timeslots are not "dynamically assigned" on these mototrbo systems, just like IP site connect systems aren't, they are dedicated. I want to add in these "one freq" or IP site connect" systems in with a scanlist with my other stuff (P25 VHF, analog)

Simple. Program the system as One Frequency Trunked, and you can program in all the talkgroup IDs you want, and organize them into departments however you see fit, just like you can with a multi-state P25 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.