Official PSREdit Software thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Win500, ARC500 will multi site import by ticking the desired boxes. ScanControl will DG Paste multi site also by copy of desired towers.

Okay all I know is that back in early February when I got my 600 and trialed the three software providers that I knew about, which didn't include the last one you mention, they didn't.

I wrote the owner of one who replied that his didn't do that beyond a 32 CC/ALT limit. Once reached that was it you would have to start all over again with selecting sites and TGs as I understood it. The software at that time would inform you with an error message that the limit was 32 and that it was going to "Truncate" I, believe was the quote, all frequencies beyond that.

The other, ARC I didn't care for so didn't explore too much especially as I found it not nearly as intuitive to use or as easy as these other two. I did try import and it too wouldn't do more than 32 CC/ALT. If there is a way to get it to do so then I didn't find it which I admit may be my fault because I didn't like it so didn't spend nearly as much time with it as I did these two.

This software allows me to go in select however many sites I want and will AUTOMATICALLY create any and all TSYS that may be needed along with appropriate selected TGs assigned to said TSYSs.

No work and it's all in one action unless you're configuring different areas like the Racom system. If I select 97 CC and ALT frequencies then it will automatically create 3 TSYS and put any TGs I have selected with those TSYSs. I have no copying, no pasting, no repetitive import functions to do, nothing. Click on import, select sites, select TGs, assign scan list/s and click import. You're done with all three TSYS set and locked in the scanner and all ready to go. Believe me I've had systems up and running in less than 5 minutes because of that feature, it's really nice

This program does that. At the time those didn't.

The above description is what I call MS import capability and functionality. The others seem to me to be a question of YOU the user being the functionality in that YOU get to import each system yourself rather than the program doing it. I'm sorry as I said Mike and Don both have awesome programs, they each have some things better than the other IMO but one doesn't do MS imports and the other does. For me that's a big thing because I'm in a lot of areas where it's needed.

DonS

No work and it's all in one action unless you're configuring different areas like the Racom system. If I select 97 CC and ALT frequencies then it will automatically create 3 TSYS
It should create 4 TSYS objects, as 3 TSYS objects would only hold 96 freqs
and put any TGs I have selected with those TSYSs. I have no copying, no pasting, no repetitive import functions to do, nothing. Click on import, select sites, select TGs, assign scan list/s and click import. You're done with all three TSYS set and locked in the scanner and all ready to go. Believe me I've had systems up and running in less than 5 minutes because of that feature, it's really nice

If I'm understanding your description correctly...

Such "automatic" creation of multiple TSYS objects, duplicating "any TGs [you] have selected with those TSYSs", works if the talkgroups you're importing appear on all sites. If they don't (i.e. if some talkgroups are specific to certain sites, as in large statewide systems that might have sets of talkgroups for counties, cities, etc.), that automatic TSYS creation and TGRP duplication results in a potentially huge amount of wasted space (since some TSYS objects will contain TGRPs that they can never receive). You're still left with a bunch of hand-editing to prune out that extra data in each TSYS.

For example, a statewide system that has a couple of towers in each city, and has talkgroups that are specific to city operations (e.g. Fire, Police, etc.). The way you describe it, if you selected sites around (but not in or associated with) a particular city, as well as that city's talkgroups, those talkgroups would appear in the "extra" TSYS objects. With all due respect to Mike, that doesn't seem like a very efficient use of the 1852 blocks of memory in the scanner.

A more concrete example... the Michigan MPSCS system: You select all of the "sites" (88 unique CC freqs) so that at least 3 TSYS objects are required. You also select the 15 talkgroups that appear within category "Barry County" (e.g. "Freeport Police", "Hastings Police", etc.). You end up with 3 TSYS objects, each of which contains 15 TGRPs - even though those 15 TGRPs can only appear (or, at least can probably only be heard on) on a couple of sites within a single TSYS. You've wasted 30 blocks of scanner memory putting those 15 TGRPs into 2 "extra" TSYSes. And that's if you only selected 15 talkgroups. If you selected just 500 of that system's 1994 talkgroups, the "waste" is likely significantly higher. If you start running up against the 1852 block limit, you still have to (manually, within the software's UI) go back to each TSYS and remove the TGRPs that "don't belong". So, you can either do the extra steps at import-time or you can do them later on if you run out of memory.

Of course, for "statewide" talkgroups (talkgroups that appear on every site in the entire system), such a method would probably work quite well.

(The above presumes that all selected talkgroups are automatically duplicated across all created TSYS objects. Perhaps they're not.)

(None of this is meant to be a criticism of Mike's method. I've heard from several sources that his programs work quite well. The above is merely my own reason for not auto-creating multiple TSYS objects in my program(s). Personally, I'm waiting for the day when the scanner handles all system sites in a single TSYS object, making such duplication totally unnecessary.)

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber

Such "automatic" creation of multiple TSYS objects, duplicating "any TGs [you] have selected with those TSYSs", works if the talkgroups you're importing appear on all sites. If they don't (i.e. if some talkgroups are specific to certain sites, as in large statewide systems that might have sets of talkgroups for counties, cities, etc.), that automatic TSYS creation and TGRP duplication results in a potentially huge amount of wasted space (since some TSYS objects will contain TGRPs that they can never receive). You're still left with a bunch of hand-editing to prune out that extra data in each TSYS.

For example, a statewide system that has a couple of towers in each city, and has talkgroups that are specific to city operations (e.g. Fire, Police, etc.). The way you describe it, if you selected sites around (but not in or associated with) a particular city, as well as that city's talkgroups, those talkgroups would appear in the "extra" TSYS objects. With all due respect to Mike, that doesn't seem like a very efficient use of the 1852 blocks of memory in the scanner.

A more concrete example... the Michigan MPSCS system: You select all of the "sites" (88 unique CC freqs) so that at least 3 TSYS objects are required. You also select the 15 talkgroups that appear within category "Barry County" (e.g. "Freeport Police", "Hastings Police", etc.). You end up with 3 TSYS objects, each of which contains 15 TGRPs - even though those 15 TGRPs can only appear (or, at least can probably only be heard on) on a couple of sites within a single TSYS. You've wasted 30 blocks of scanner memory putting those 15 TGRPs into 2 "extra" TSYSes. And that's if you only selected 15 talkgroups. If you selected just 500 of that system's 1994 talkgroups, the "waste" is likely significantly higher. If you start running up against the 1852 block limit, you still have to (manually, within the software's UI) go back to each TSYS and remove the TGRPs that "don't belong". So, you can either do the extra steps at import-time or you can do them later on if you run out of memory.

Of course, for "statewide" talkgroups (talkgroups that appear on every site in the entire system), such a method would probably work quite well.

(The above presumes that all selected talkgroups are automatically duplicated across all created TSYS objects. Perhaps they're not.)

(None of this is meant to be a criticism of Mike's method. I've heard from several sources that his programs work quite well. The above is merely my own reason for not auto-creating multiple TSYS objects in my program(s). Personally, I'm waiting for the day when the scanner handles all system sites in a single TSYS object, making such duplication totally unnecessary.)

You are entirely correct in what you've said. I also may have been off in number needed so it very well could be 4 instead of 3.
As to memory usage you are right, it can be wasteful I suppose but for me particularly it works because I drive a great deal per day often 500+ miles back and forth over areas that I don't know intimately. So knowing this tower is at this particular spot and covers this finite area isn't something I readily know. But I can locate counties on route select all towers for those counties and put them in plus all TGs for route and while it takes more memory I suppose it does the job at least for me so far. The only problem I have really is the Orion system in Omaha but other than that everything else has worked well. For someone who lives or is constantly in one area then normal method is obviously best I'd agree but for my unique circumstances I find this ability in Mike's software to be a Godsend as it makes my scanning life much easier. Wasteful, possibly but worthwhile in my case.
Another interesting thing I've found on occasion is that sometimes TGs appear far distant from where they're apparently supposed to. I have all the sites for Star com 21 along 80 and 88 put in from Iowa to Indiana line and pick up Chicago Metro traffic all the time way out in Rock Island/Moline area. Then again I'm scanning all sites and TGs for entire north Illinois except far north.
As to what you're waiting for, that would be very nice indeed and I'll hope for it as well.

mikey60

Yeah the method isn't the greatest in that scenario, but for the most part it seems to work pretty well. Are there some tweeks that could be done to make it better? You bet. Just not sure when those tweeks will become reality. I've got a few other things I want to do before I work on that.

Mike

sandbender

Multiple program hangs

There are a number of situations where I find that PSREdit just hangs and I need to kill it. For example, if there is a problem with an upload to the scanner, I'll get a dialogue box indicating there was a problem. I can click acknowledging the problem and then the program just hangs. Usually I will see the "PSR Upload/Download" window and can click on "Cancel" as much as I want. Nothing happens though.

I have noticed the problem with the Virtual Scanner mode as well. Fiddling around in there I can get "dead ends" where nothing I do will bring me back to the main scanner window. There is no "cancel" button for the window and nothing can be done to get back to the main program.

Is there anything that can be done to return to the main window? If I resort to killing PSREdit then I lose unsaved changes. Clearly not acceptable.

Oh, I should mention I am running Vista in case that is part of the problem.

Thanks,

-Pete

mikey60

There are a number of situations where I find that PSREdit just hangs and I need to kill it. For example, if there is a problem with an upload to the scanner, I'll get a dialogue box indicating there was a problem. I can click acknowledging the problem and then the program just hangs. Usually I will see the "PSR Upload/Download" window and can click on "Cancel" as much as I want. Nothing happens though.

I have noticed the problem with the Virtual Scanner mode as well. Fiddling around in there I can get "dead ends" where nothing I do will bring me back to the main scanner window. There is no "cancel" button for the window and nothing can be done to get back to the main program.

Is there anything that can be done to return to the main window? If I resort to killing PSREdit then I lose unsaved changes. Clearly not acceptable.

Oh, I should mention I am running Vista in case that is part of the problem.

Thanks,

-Pete

What version are you running? I did a lot of work in this area on the V-Scanner area. I'll look more at that Upload/Download area Right now (I have the sources open right now working on a new feature).

Mike

sandbender

What version are you running? I did a lot of work in this area on the V-Scanner area. I'll look more at that Upload/Download area Right now (I have the sources open right now working on a new feature).

Mike

Running the latest version PSREdit500 1.85 Release 4 from March 19, 2009.

Thanks,

-Pete

mikey60

I confirmed this one and am in the process of fixing it...

Can you give me more specific information on where exactly this is happening?

Mike

mikey60

This one is fixed for the next release. Let me know if you find any other items like this and I'll get them taken care of as quickly as possible. I want to do a bit more testing on the new feature before I release this one though, so it will probably be tomorrow some time. If you can get the specifics on the V-Scanner issue, I'll try to get that one taken care of as well.

You can either post here, to the PSREdit or PSREdit500 Yahoo Groups, or email me at support@psredit.com to pass that information along.

Mike

sandbender

I confirmed this one and am in the process of fixing it...

Can you give me more specific information on where exactly this is happening?

Mike

I'm having trouble reproducing it. I'll play around with it and let you know if I can figure out what I did. I created an XP virtual machine and it runs much better there than on my Vista virtual machine.

Have you ever tried to run PSREdit with Wine or Crossover Office? Curiously when I try I get the following error...

Error: Access violation at 0x7BC66B12 (tried to read from 0x00000010), program terminated.

I get the same thing when I try to run Win500 too, so I think it must fail in the COM driver. You use the COM driver and not the FTDI D2XX driver correct? I will try to run a simple terminal program and see if I get the same error. People do report success with USB serial drivers and Open Office though, so it should be possible to get it to work.

Thanks,

-Pete

mikey60

I'm having trouble reproducing it. I'll play around with it and let you know if I can figure out what I did. I created an XP virtual machine and it runs much better there than on my Vista virtual machine.

Have you ever tried to run PSREdit with Wine or Crossover Office? Curiously when I try I get the following error...

Error: Access violation at 0x7BC66B12 (tried to read from 0x00000010), program terminated.

I get the same thing when I try to run Win500 too, so I think it must fail in the COM driver. You use the COM driver and not the FTDI D2XX driver correct? I will try to run a simple terminal program and see if I get the same error. People do report success with USB serial drivers and Open Office though, so it should be possible to get it to work.

Thanks,

-Pete

People have had success runing under those in the past, although with the recent change of protection systems, it might have messed that up... I don't have any machines with those on to test it with though.

I'm still using COM ports at this point. I don't know that I plan to change from that.

Mike

carpetman

led light

Since the last few builds 185-4 and 186-1 the led light stays on when a channel clears, this happens on my local fire/ems conventional freq. it seems to happen when scanner goes directly to a trunking channel after conventional channel clears. light stays on until I push the pause button. if while the light is stuck on and another channel with led assigned become active it will change to that assigned color, when channel clears the light goes back to conventional channel color and stays on. Thanks

mikey60

Since the last few builds 185-4 and 186-1 the led light stays on when a channel clears, this happens on my local fire/ems conventional freq. it seems to happen when scanner goes directly to a trunking channel after conventional channel clears. light stays on until I push the pause button. if while the light is stuck on and another channel with led assigned become active it will change to that assigned color, when channel clears the light goes back to conventional channel color and stays on. Thanks

You most likely have an object set with the LED Latch option turned on. Add the LED column to your object lists and look for any that have the "L" in that column. Edit that object and uncheck the the LED Latch option.

Mike

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
now residing in Ocala, Florida since 1999
Greetings all, I love my PRO-106 and I love my PSRedit500 software, as this is a winning combination for me and many in the hobby. I have a question, concerning tweaking on a P25 system. I monitor Marion County Sheriff and Marion County Fire Rescue in central Florida. This is a P25 standard trunked system, common air interface exclusive, 9600baud digital, so I guess its a pure P25 digital system. Out of all the talkgroups, there is only one that is encrypted. NOW for the scenerio and question... Marion County just rebanded a few days ago, and I did the update to my freq's using the PSRedit software, which took my freq's down by 15. All seems well, but I feel I lost the cleaner reception I once had, clear reception that is... I continue to get a pretty high signal on the signal meter on the 106, but it seems some of the talkgroups are weak, and thier digital transmission is sometimes slightly garbled, not clear like it was prior to the rebanding. I am using a MAXRAD MYA-8063 yagi and its factory tuned 806 to 866 so I should be fine using it. Are there advanced or expert settings thru the PSRedit500 I should be tweaking, any thresholds I need to play with, I figure it could be one or a combination of things... to my knowledge, my yagi is aimed and directed to the best tower site available, as I experimented different directions all afternoon. The PSRedit default settings were always good for me in the past, but I do not know which way to go with them in terms of tweaking... Do I go up or down, increase thresholds or decrease... and if so, which ones will stabilize the P25 reception and return clarity. I believe that when they rebanded, the original quantity of 20 frequencies remained the same, no new CC channels or VC channels added. I have every possible talkgroup for the system, and my PRO-106 is set to P25 automatic. I am still able to pick up each of those talkgroups, but a big difference in signal strength between them, along with degraded reception and comm quality is disturbing to me. I dont believe that I have to alter the bandplan tables since rebanding, so what can I tweak to clear my digital reception to rid myself of intermittant garble. I already miss the old system, before rebanding when the comms were alot cleaner and stronger. Thanks in advance with any help.

Last edited:

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
now residing in Ocala, Florida since 1999
You can try setting the defaults and see if that fixes it. I would guess that it's something with the system that still needs to be tuned...

Mike

Hi Mike, I tried resetting to the default on the PSRedit to original settings... I am receiving a strong signal, according to the signal bars on the PRO-106 radio, however, the P25 digital is not coming in all that clear. The squelch unmutes at the begining of a signal, the transmission signal on the 800 systems talkgroup's seems to be pretty strong, then approx 8 seconds into the transmission the P25 transmission and voice begin to warble to the point that it almost sounds like an encrypted transmission... 3 to 4 seconds later, it begins to clear up again, and I can hear the communications clearer. Other times, the transmission - communications I'm monitoring start off to sound clear, then they warble away to nothing.

Is there a post or thread on what tweaking can be done to the P25 settings using PSRedit500. I would like to experiment, but would prefer to know a bit more about the settings and parameters set in the PSRedit concerning P25 digital / advanced settings. By choosing higher parameters or lower parameters, and of which ones, should I try to tweak. I may tweak in the wrong combination and really throw my scanner way out of bounds, and prefer to stay realistically close to a true advanced setting... Which direction do I go w P25 parameters according to the listed values on the PSRedit. Do you have anything written on the subject of P25 digital tweaking while using PSRedit-500. If I could ask for one thing to be put on a wish list... it would have to be to have a parameter tweaking list on the PSRedit website, that informs users of the values and settings of some of the advanced settings, to enable users to better understand wether an increase or decrease of certain parameters could be beneficial over the default settings, and to inform users of what those thresholds really do. Thanks in advance.

your friend Kevin.

Last edited:

mikey60

Hi Mike, I tried resetting to the default on the PSRedit to original settings... I am receiving a strong signal, according to the signal bars on the PRO-106 radio, however, the P25 digital is not coming in all that clear. The squelch unmutes at the begining of a signal, the transmission signal on the 800 systems talkgroup's seems to be pretty strong, then approx 8 seconds into the transmission the P25 transmission and voice begin to warble to the point that it almost sounds like an encrypted transmission... 3 to 4 seconds later, it begins to clear up again, and I can hear the communications clearer. Other times, the transmission - communications I'm monitoring start off to sound clear, then they warble away to nothing.

I don't recall, is that a simulcast system? If so, you might be getting phase cancellation/multi path problems. There may be a synchronization issue on the system after the reconfiguration...

As far as the settings are concerned, I really don't know what will work in your situation.

Mike

txzeke

Premium Subscriber
P25

I live in far North Central Arkansas. In the Boston Mountains area. Arkansas State Police / AWIN is a P25 system and it sometimes warbles. Also starting off clear fading to warble then to clear again. I attribute that to at least 2 scenerios. One being location, location, location. Just like any other 2 way radio system, at times, an area known for great reception can be affected by a simple obstruction or a major one. Then you have to factor in the atmospheric conditions also. I live in a small valley, yet for the most part I get the P25 system with no troubles. But at times when the sun is setting, bad weather approaches, very cloudy days with a high hummidty level, etc. seems to affect the reception of the P25 system. Even when traveling or on a hilltop in an area you would normally think reception would be great at, here comes the warbles. Same applies for cell phones of today. Digital transmissions are super great, but they still have their faults because they are radio wave transmissions affected by terrain and weather/atmoshere conditions. I don't see any real solutions to it either. Trying to tweak the scanner may negatively affect the overall reception where it should work normally at. Sometimes you may hear a dispatcher on a P25 system advise the unit they need to repeat their traffic. It's then I can confirm it's not my scanner with a problem. These scenerios not only apply to a P25 system. But to any 2 way radio system.

Status
Not open for further replies.