OpenSky Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Oooh Oooh, misinformation! Lies! Scandalous!

Well I had my facts mixed up apparently. Whoopeee. But while doing a little bit of research to find out whether I was indeed right or wrong, I found article after article citing problems with these systems, everything from being tens of millions over budget to coverage gaps to incompatible equipment and more. God only knows why no one's pulled the plug in PA yet, they've had more problems than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. The only reason I can think of is because they've invested SO MUCH money in it at this point that they have no choice but to feed it more money until it finally works. Ridiculous.

Is that better N_Jay? Or would you like a signed note from my mommy as well? :roll:

Joseph11

garys said:
Pro Voice isn't P25 and it isn't Open Sky either. It's digital EDACS, out there all by itself.

Can't ProVoice be conventional, too?

Joseph11

Interesting. I remember when Cecil County, MD went to an EDACS system with ProVoice, the PD had about two digital conventional TAC frequencies.

N

N_Jay

SCANdal said:
There seems to be a lot of confusion over the differences between APCO P25 digital, EDACS, and OpenSky.

But no shortage of confused people willing to share their "insight"!

N

N_Jay

kikito said:
I was pretty sure that ProVoice was just a type of digital modulation for voice. The trunking part it's still just the old EDACS technology. Just like some systems use P25 digital voice with Motorola based trunking.

Yeppers, and it can be conventional too!

w0fg

You can think of ProVoice as simply an upgrade to the older AEGIS digital vocoder which works just fine in conventional mode. (sez' he as he sits listening to the local PD running VHF AEGIS simplex)

N

N_Jay

AZScanner said:
Oooh Oooh, misinformation! Lies! Scandalous!

Well I had my facts mixed up apparently. Whoopeee. But while doing a little bit of research to find out whether I was indeed right or wrong, I found article after article citing problems with these systems, everything from being tens of millions over budget to coverage gaps to incompatible equipment and more. God only knows why no one's pulled the plug in PA yet, they've had more problems than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. The only reason I can think of is because they've invested SO MUCH money in it at this point that they have no choice but to feed it more money until it finally works. Ridiculous.

Is that better N_Jay? Or would you like a signed note from my mommy as well? :roll:

No note for your mommy needed.

While you are looking you will probably notice lots of buildings, roads and other projects go over budget and come in late. :roll:
Hmmm, maybe it's not a always a "vendor" thing?
Maybe its a "buyer thing????;) ;)

Premium Subscriber
M/A COM Open SKY

Well it's no secret that I have been both anti-M/A Com and anti-trunking, but in the last six months I did a very very in depth study for a local county, I tested Moto, M/A COM, trunked and conventional. I used mobiles and portables, hit every dead spot you can think of, low spots, deep foliage the works. Hands down the M/A COM system worked, was more stable and flat out kicked @#!.
I was wrong, a PO # was issued by this agency on Monday for a M/A Com open sky system, sorry folks but a lot of this crap is just that crap. By the way just as many Moto trunk systems have issues as M/A Com fight fair or don't fight at all !!!

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
1268 said:
I was wrong, a PO # was issued by this agency on Monday for a M/A Com open sky system, sorry folks but a lot of this crap is just that crap. By the way just as many Moto trunk systems have issues as M/A Com fight fair or don't fight at all !!!

I hope that agency enjoys being in the radio programming business when the media can't hear them anymore and wants radios. And that's IF the system works as advertised and IF they get it done on time and IF they keep it within the allotted budget. I also hope they enjoy paying MA/COM's prices for gear since it's all proprietary. Sorry but if I had to choose a vendor, I wouldn't pick one that would require me to program radios for the media and I wouldn't pick one that locked my agency into a proprietary system that only one manufacturer can provide equipment for. But what the hell, it's not your money being spent...

trooperdude

Database Admin
N_Jay said:
Seems like they are updating EDACS to P25 like most military installations.
No indication that the old system was not working, and it was NOT OpenSky.

More bad references!:evil: :evil:

A formal military FBO bid solicitation is a bad reference ??

Did you even READ it ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

n4voxgill

Silent Key
1268 said:
Well it's no secret that I have been both anti-M/A Com and anti-trunking, but in the last six months I did a very very in depth study for a local county, I tested Moto, M/A COM, trunked and conventional. I used mobiles and portables, hit every dead spot you can think of, low spots, deep foliage the works. Hands down the M/A COM system worked, was more stable and flat out kicked @#!.

let me get this straight. there was a county wide system fully operational with both motorola systems and macom completely built out. I would sure like to have seen that, as I have never seen one built out before anything was purchased. In fact if both sysems were completed, then you just paid for the macom that was in existence and motorola has to take down their system.

N

N_Jay

trooperdude said:
A formal military FBO bid solicitation is a bad reference ??

Did you even READ it ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It was TRYING to be a reference to a OPENSKY system that did not work and was being replaced.

IT WAS A BAD REFERENCE!!!!!!!!!! (PERIOD)

SCANdal

Silent Key
Regarding ProVoice on conventional channels

Gentlemen,

I stand corrected. My apologizes. I was mis-lead by the manufacturer's website.

SCANdal

Premium Subscriber
n4voxgill said:
let me get this straight. there was a county wide system fully operational with both motorola systems and macom completely built out. I would sure like to have seen that, as I have never seen one built out before anything was purchased. In fact if both sysems were completed, then you just paid for the macom that was in existence and motorola has to take down their system.
Let me clarify this for you, a utility was using a built out ma/com 900 mhzEDACS open sky system,( JUST STARTED ON OPEN SKY) towers in place. That was used for the MA/COM part of the study, a private ambulace company along with two cities and another private firm have a Moto 800mhz system in the same area, again towers in place used a digital channel on that system for the study. The best example is a large metel warehouse that was a equal distance from both main towers, the M/A Com Portables out performed Moto again and again, mobiles where about the same but portable coverage was not even close, I am not a M/A Com lover by any means but facts are facts I was there !
The county had a unique chance to study there options because these 2 systems gave them a mobile and portable from each system and said do what you want for 2 weeks, law enforcement, fire, ems and publics works tested these radios , no salesmen where contacted until AFTER the study. If someone can beat that let's hear it :twisted:

N

N_Jay

1268 said:
The county had a unique chance to study there options because these 2 systems gave them a mobile and portable from each system and said do what you want for 2 weeks, law enforcement, fire, ems and publics works tested these radios , no salesmen where contacted until AFTER the study. If someone can beat that let's hear it :twisted:

Did anyone look at basic things like signal level and such before comparing "audio quality"?

Status
Not open for further replies.