opinions led flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannersnstuff

Been awhile since I've posted about flashlight's. I graduated to more expensive light's. However, last weekend, Harbour Freight had their Quantum led flashlight on sale for $9.99, plus the 20 percent off coupon. This appears to be the same light as the Bell and Howell tac light. I grabbed up two. For the price, it make's a nice little 558 lumen flashlight.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have always been partial to 3-D cell Maglites. Nice and reliable, but I hate having to look for bulbs now and then. Always carried 2 of them in my big truck.I have one in silver, 2 in black. One under my truck seat, one by the back door, one next to the bed.

Trying out new LED lights a few years ago I bought a Fenix PD35TAC and I like that a lot. 1000 lumens, very bright. I have a tactical bag that I pack with scanners and accessories for road trips and that Fenix is always in my go-to bag.

Also bought a couple of CREE UltraFire eBay cheapies that I keep near my desk, and I have a smaller 3AA Maglite mounted on my desk for a quick grab light. I also keep emergency Red Cross lights in every room, the kind that stay plugged in to an outlet as a night-light, then come on fully charged if I lose power. I have a couple other cheapies that I don't even know their brand names. Not until I started typing this post did I realize just how many flashlights I do have. They all have their place, I suppose!

JD
kf4anc

bharvey2

Did anyone get a new flashlight for the holiday's ?.

One of my sons gave me a Fenix PD35 for Christmas. A year of so ago I received another Fenix light that was much smaller. About 3" long and only uses 1 CR123 battery. It's very low profile and I could even get away with wearing it with dress slacks. At work I usually carry Coast LED lights given that they use AAA batteries (which I go through quite a bit) and I won't get too worked up if it gets lost or destroyed.

scannersnstuff

I have used,and read about the pd35. Great light. I've just about maxed out on flashlight's, and the associated cost. I did have my eye on a Olight m2r warrior, but cannot justify spending $100.00 buck's, when a $14.00 Harbour Freight light will do.

bharvey2

As long as it is bright, reliable and easy to carry, I don't get too caught up in the brand. For a period of time Maglight sold replacement bulbs for their incandent flashlights and they were pretty good. I re-bulbed a number of my Maglights and still use them, mainly as flashlights to keep in my vehicles. I've used the Coast LED flashlights for many years and have a few of them. I usually wear out the case that comes with it then then I start having contact issues in the battery compartment. They get retired and I get a new one. To be sure, I like my Fenix ones but given that they're two to three times the cost of the Coasts (or most of my other ones) I'm a little more reserved in using them. Can't say as I agree with too many flashlights though. Kinda like too many radios.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I had a nice LED SureFire for a while, then the TSA was kind enough to remove it and a Gerber tool from my luggage.
That was the last "expensive" flashlight I bought. Not worth the cost, especially if it gets lost/destroyed/stolen, etc.
I'm using Streamlight at work, $20 - $35 depending on the light. I like that they use inexpensive batteries like AA or C's. I can get those from our supply warehouse at work easily.
And non-conductive lights, too. Can't drop an metal light in some of the stuff I work on.

I like the higher end lights, but just not worth it.

prcguy

I've had an Olight M30 Triton for years and its awesome. Uses three C123s but I was getting them cheap from a local police supply house. I also have a bunch of small Fenix lights and my favorite is one that uses AA batts which are cheap and everywhere.

I recently got some unusual LED lights from Pak-Lite, who specialize in lights powered by 9V batts. They won't win any brightness contests but they do run a long time and are really small. Their combo white/red version is standard issue for USAF pilot survival kits. https://9voltlight.com/home

Sure that count's. I have my eye on a olight m2r warrior.....but.

bharvey2

Though it's not likely to make the list of "elite" LED flashlights, The NEBO Slyde is not too bad. It can be used like a normal light or, you can pull the head away from the body to reveal an LED panel and it can be used like a lantern. It also has a magnet in its base to hold it while you're working. My son's girlfriend gave it to me for my birthday a few years ago and it's taken the role as my "go to" around the house for most projects. It's a little big for my liking as an EDC light but fits the bill for most other applications.

mmckenna it's funny you mentioned non-conductive. I long ago gave up wearing rings or jewelry of any kind and switched to plastic banded watches like G-Shocks so as not to "become one" with the circuitry I work with. I never switched lights though. I have however gotten in to the habit of holding a light close to my body and away from anything I'm working on.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
mmckenna it's funny you mentioned non-conductive. I long ago gave up wearing rings or jewelry of any kind and switched to plastic banded watches like G-Shocks so as not to "become one" with the circuitry I work with. I never switched lights though. I have however gotten in to the habit of holding a light close to my body and away from anything I'm working on.

Yeah, I just take my watch and ring off, but I've given thought to using the silicone wedding bands. My wife has one and likes it.
Part of my job includes maintaining a bunch of high amperage -48volt DC plants. I've got insulated tools, 1000v rated gloves, all the stuff to do it right. One day holding a mini-mag light I realized if I dropped it I'd probably get hurt. Switched out my light with a Streamlight Poly 3C light and been happy with it. Not a high tier light, but good enough for what I do.

While not the brightest light, they work fine. And easy to acquire off the shelf batteries keep life simple.

scannersnstuff

One of my sons gave me a Fenix PD35 for Christmas. A year of so ago I received another Fenix light that was much smaller. About 3" long and only uses 1 CR123 battery. It's very low profile and I could even get away with wearing it with dress slacks. At work I usually carry Coast LED lights given that they use AAA batteries (which I go through quite a bit) and I won't get too worked up if it gets lost or destroyed.

The only reason I try to stay away from cr123 light's is the batteries are expensive, and scarce. With this being said, both my Thrunite tc12 and my Gerber cortex take cr123's as their secondary battery. I'm pretty much totally happy with the tc12. You have to occasionally tighten the head, to maintain proper charging. I keep the tc12 home, and the Gerber in my "go bag" in my trunk.

bharvey2

The only reason I try to stay away from cr123 light's is the batteries are expensive, and scarce. With this being said, both my Thrunite tc12 and my Gerber cortex take cr123's as their secondary battery. I'm pretty much totally happy with the tc12. You have to occasionally tighten the head, to maintain proper charging. I keep the tc12 home, and the Gerber in my "go bag" in my trunk.

Yeah, that's my issue with the CR123 batteries as well. To be fair though, since my Fenix lights aren't EDC wear, I don't have to replace batteries too often. Still, If I don't plan ahead and have a spare handy, I could be out a light.

scannersnstuff

Yeah, that's my issue with the CR123 batteries as well. To be fair though, since my Fenix lights aren't EDC wear, I don't have to replace batteries too often. Still, If I don't plan ahead and have a spare handy, I could be out a light.

I have the same problem. I have flashlight's utilizing aa,aaa,cr123's and/or a 18650 cell. I do have a spare 18650, and alkaline/rechargeable cell's. I have a very limited number of spare cr123's.

Status
Not open for further replies.