Orange County NY 911

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiomanNJ1

Again, a technological solution proposed for a behavioral problem.

There should not be laughing and loud talking going on in an emergency dispatch center. That behavior belongs in the break room, isolated from where the work is taking place.

Just wondering if any of you complainers have worked in a multi person dispatch environment? It is a very stressful job that scanner listeners who are not working shifts do not understand. It could be that the people complaining don't actually have any coworkers to talk to????

D

DaveNF2G

I did. We were trained to carry on any side conversations so that they would not go out over the air or disturb other dispatchers. When anyone became audible beyond a console away, especially with any sort of sound or content that was not work-related, a supervisor would intervene.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
NYCOMOCO is a Harris dealer, Goosetown is a Motorola dealer. Harris does not appear to have their own field force for service nationwide and use contractors.

Umm NYCOMOCO is also a Motorola dealer..... They have been for a while too.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if any of you complainers have worked in a multi person dispatch environment? It is a very stressful job that scanner listeners who are not working shifts do not understand. It could be that the people complaining don't actually have any coworkers to talk to????
Yeah, some of us actually walked the walk and talked the talk. And I'll vouch for Dave as I was one of his supervisors when he worked for us.

And, both Dave and Jim have valid points. Until one takes a close up look at an individual comm center, it's not easy to tell where the problem lies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member

Umm, yeah. This "complainer" has been on "all" sides of the mic..and in different environments. I can't say the same about some of the others that work there or better yet, run the show...and it shows.

captncarp

Bye, bye NYCOMCO

Town of Newburgh has had enough of NYCOMCO and have switched to GOOSETOWN. NYCOMCO has started taking there equipment out.
Has Orange County picked a vendor yet?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
What do you mean by "switched?" Since NYCOMCO owns the EDACS system are they dumping 800 and going back to the old VHF Newburgh MRD ?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
From what I heard that Town of Newburgh is on a month to month with NYCOMCO. Town of Newburgh Police EDACS talkgroups are still active.

Not sure if its this is Police or the whole town, I know Dutchess County has multiple contracts with NYCOMCO that varies with department and divisions

D

DaveNF2G

Goosetown is part of a consortium that is building a wide-area DMR network. Maybe that's where they are going.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
They are NOT going on the OneVoice Network. My contact is telling me that the base consoles are being switched out to Motorola MCC7500's just like Goosetown allegedly did for OC 911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Regarding the "allegedly," I'm told the County did in fact install the MCC consoles so that can now be confirmed. Still no update on the TRS or simulcast paging other than what I previously posted.

radiomanNJ1

Umm NYCOMOCO is also a Motorola dealer..... They have been for a while too.
If indeed they are selling some Motorola stuff they are not a full line dealer as Goosetown is. It is extremely rare that a former GE Ma/Com/Harris dealer sells Motorola stuff. Years ago there were Motorola radius only and LTR dealers but they were not full line.

Harris has NO field force people all of their work is contracted out.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
If indeed they are selling some Motorola stuff they are not a full line dealer as Goosetown is. It is extremely rare that a former GE Ma/Com/Harris dealer sells Motorola stuff. Years ago there were Motorola radius only and LTR dealers but they were not full line.

Harris has NO field force people all of their work is contracted out.

They became a Motorola Dealer when Motorola came out with MotoTrbo, Next to Goosetown they have the second largest Connect Plus system in the area. Just within the last year or so they have switched DCSO and DC probation from Kenwood TK790 series mobiles and TK-290's and 280's over to PM1500's and the HT1250's.

If they are not putting users on their EDACS system they are putting them on their connect plus system.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Motorola full line dealers are assigned territories and far and few.

Motorola went back to using their own people to authorize high tier radio sales - just like they did for many years. The dealer can no longer order an APX/XTS etc. It has to be authorized by their Motorola rep.

Almost anyone can sell the commercial stuff.

KC2GSP

Out of curiosity, I seem to hear the sound affects from the 70's TV show "emergency" during the B line hours when fire calls are being dispatched.. I know I'm not hearing surrounding counties in the background being monitored, its like the actual wav file from the show. Didn't know if its someone's phone ringtone going off usually, just kind of odd.

As a side note, is there a feud between someone at Base 5 and Orange 911? Was looking to put a rumor to bed

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Several agencies changed the default .wav when a call pops in the pending queue. I know Base 5 had the cartoon Jetsons doorbell. Morris County NJ uses the emergency .wav you are referencing as an alert to the dispatcher that a status check is needed on a unit after a defined timeframe.

As far as the feud, depends on which dispatcher you are talking about at Base 5. I know the majority of their personnel are not that impressed with Orange 911 having dealt with numerous errors over the years. As a matter of fact, I don't know any municipal dispatch center person that really likes the job that Orange 911 does.

I still believe the call should go to the town first when you dial 911...especially if they have their own PD. If it's Fire or EMS, then the town PSAP can transfer it out to County for dispatch/EMD. That is how the majority of big counties do it around the U.S. Down south in FL for example, Sheriff answers 911...if it's Fire or EMS, goes to County
Fire Rescue.

Could it be an ex-911 employee that is now full-time at Base 5?

sc800

Signal, or anyone who knows:

Which agencies actually have CAD up and running? The ones that I know of are still having a lot of problems with it

Status
Not open for further replies.