upquark

Hi all,

I'm very new to HAM radio and still in the process of reading my technician book prior to testing. In the meantime, I'm playing around with monitoring to get my feet wet and help prepare myself for the test with some practical knowledge.

A few years back, I attended DefCon and purchased a BladeRF X40 and XB-200 transverter from the Nuand booth because I was inspired by the conference as to the possibilities of digital RF. I played with it briefly but never got very far with it and it ended up collecting dust for a few years until very recently when I came across it and decided I wanted to get back into it.

So far, I've successfully demodulated/decoded NFM, WFM, BFM, and a little bit of DMR. I've primarily been using a combination of SDR Console (couldn't get SDR# to work) and GNU Radio Companion up to now and in the last couple of days have added VAC, DSD+, DMRDecode, DSD-FME, and Unitrunker (which I still have no idea how to use) to my toolbox.

I've gotten DSD+ and DSD-FME to decode DMR for me using VAC with minimal errors. Unfortunately, there's next to no DMR traffic in my area (Sherwood, OR). There are a couple of DMR repeaters in the area but they don't appear to be particularly active. However, I have been finding other digital signals between 800MHz-1GHz, some of which appear to be P25. Both DSD+ and DSD-FME recognize this data and appear to be decoding it, however I hear no audio. I've attached screenshots of my setup and DSD+/DSD-FME reacting to the signal.

Settings:
Mode: WFM
Filter: 12kHz/24kHz (tried lots of manual ranges to get tight on the signal but doesn't seem to have any effect)
AGC: Off (can't turn it on)
CW Peak Enable: Off
Noise Blanker: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Notch: Off
Squelch: Off

Signal strength is coming in at about -10dBm so it's more than strong enough even with a meager indoor antenna. I've double and triple checked my audio settings in Windows and in the initialization message of DSD+. Not sure how to double check the audio settings in DSD-FME other than to wait for some DMR signal to show up and confirm it's audible.

While I have seen ENC frames (which I assume to mean encryption) on some channels, I do not see them on certain others which are the ones I'm focusing on.

Any advice, guidance, support, etc. would be greatly appreciated. This obstacle is really irritating me as this seems to be the only region with much digital activity in my area. I'd really like to be able to monitor it and, when I'm able, perhaps even participate in the traffic assuming it's open to public ham use.

Thanks for reading!

Ed

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-20 103611.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-11-20 103611.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2022-11-20 103551.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-11-20 103551.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 12

upquark

Thanks for the info! That helps me track down what I'm looking at/listening to.

I'm using the latest public release (not fastlane). Does Phase 2 require fastlane?

WFM=Wide FM

upquark

I went ahead and got Fastlane and it appears to be decoding but I'm still not hearing any audio.

1R.bat args:
DSDPlus -rp -T -E -i1 -o1 >>1R-log.txt

Seems like I have to use the FMPX tuner to decode certain signals but I'm not sure yet if it's compatible with BladeRF. Does anyone know? I've emailed the Fastlane address asking about it but haven't gotten a response yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-20 214608.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-11-20 214608.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 7

slicerwizard

You'd be far better off with a cheap $~25 dongle. RTL-SDR v3, FlightAware orange, one of the Nooelec offerings, etc. Avoid the E4000 tuner (if anyone's still selling them). You install the USB driver with ZADIG, then run the 1R.bat file and the FMP24-CC.bat file and it starts decoding/trunktracking.

upquark

Understood. I thought that might be the case. If you were going to buy one new for yourself, which would you get? Does any particular one stand out in terms of features/performance?

slicerwizard

I like the FlightAware orange for its increased RF sensitivity above 400 MHz. I did tests with several distant trunking systems, same RX antenna, Airspy Mini vs RTL-SDR v3 vs FlightAware and I got fewer unrecoverable P25 TSBKs with the FlightAware dongle. Had a few for years now, haven't had any reliability issues.