BCD436HP/BCD536HP: P25 simulcast receiption sometime need a helping hand to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

twjr80

Feed Provider
On the low end of purchasing a 436hp, Yagi, cable, and a mast your savings are being cut into for the purchase price of an SDS100. You might not be receiving as well as you think, because silence doesn't mean inactivity but lack of proper decoding. I know this by comparison before I sold my 436. This solution isn't very practical, and I've seen others swear up and down the mast pole how good this works etc. An SDS scanner resolves all these issues, and has been well documented. To each their own, good luck.
$400 scanner, homebuilt antenna, already had mast and coax. My setup works great and I don't need to buy a expensive scanner. I have no issues receiving the local P25 system.

Eng74

Guess you are scanning the EBRCS system. Sounds like you are not going mobile so try just monitoring the site nearest you. You might be getting too much signal so also try the ATT.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
$400 scanner, homebuilt antenna, already had mast and coax. My setup works great and I don't need to buy a expensive scanner. I have no issues receiving the local P25 system.

Once again, your set up is not common, and if you're ok with what you hear, ok.

wtp

from my electronics teacher said in the 70's, and still true today.
"humans are stray capacitance to ground", so we are not an inductor, unless you are a robot.
you will also influence signals, the body absorbs signals, so you going near the radio is making the antenna slightly directive.
and everything you have mentioned sounds like simulcast reception problems and solutions.
to fix my simulcast problem we put the radio in the window, and stuck it in the edge of the window, in a cell phone holder turned horizontal.
so you might try the one thing of going near a tower, or trying a yagi, or doing the rabbit ear antenna dance of the old TV days to try and find the sweet spot. and you could buy an SDS type scanner, it is expensive but even i figure it is my future.

Status
Not open for further replies.