• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Parrot on 462.5875 with CWID that's also piping through scanner audio

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I've been hearing this Simplex Parrot on FRS channel 2 since 2019 that regularly beeps out the ID "I6GVX". I would regularly also hear the Voice ID of 1 amateur repeater on it but just assumed it was overload as the signal got stronger in the neighborhood where that license address is registered. This year though I've been increasingly hearing more HAM radio like traffic on it and decided to spend the full day recording it to see what popped up and managed to hear another another Amateur 70cm repeater that is nowhere nearby as well as a trunked 800 MHz talkgroup that I recognized the user of from the voice and name being called. I know it's not someone I have better pickup than the parrot I hear nothing else coming out on that same frequency as well as the lack of keying over each other as would happen. As for the ID I would assume there is a K that's getting cutoff as looking up that callsign reveals repeater ban and jamming issues from 2014 though from California and nowhere near Northwest AZ and last I checked he's never been here. The CWID doesn't appear to be a scanned HAM repeater as when you key it up with an FRS radio it will send that out if it's been long enough since the last time.

Has anyone ever heard something like this before? The coverage area is pretty decent and about what I would expect from a HT on a rooftop, far reaching but slightly staticy pretty much everywhere except in the same neighborhood. It outputs a CTCSS of 67.0Hz but repeats anything heard on the same frequency tone or no tone. It's around the area of maidenhead square DM25xe.

I've clipped together some audio here of the various recordings throughout the day showing the ID in the beginning, a QSO on an out of town repeater, and the second to last shows a pickup up of an LTR talkgroup, and the very last demonstrates the original FRS parrot functionality as you hear a kid play with it who happened to be using the same channel and tone:
Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

WRTF671

Premium Subscriber
Weird! I'm in, can't wait for the thrilling conclusion! I wonder if someone has some wires crossed somewhere?

KF0NYL

I have to ask, what type/brand of radio are you using when you hear all of that?

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Weird! I'm in, can't wait for the thrilling conclusion! I wonder if someone has some wires crossed somewhere?
I think it was just for general situational awareness like how some DOT/Public Works/Fire Departments occasionally monitor other agencies repeaters.

People have all sorts of Community ideas for FRS/GMRS then once the system is setup realize they have nothing to say or do and the whole thing just sits there most of the time. To clarify though it's only a 1 way audio feed. Though I could hear myself on the HAM repeater over the FRS relay only and not the other way around.

It's never been used in the few years it been on other than the incidental traffic that it picks up since it accepts any tone but I am curious about the audio patching setup and what scanner they are using to provide the monitor feed.