• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Part 95 GMRS radio list

JASII

Memory Capacity
So, that should make the list of Part 95E repeaters fairly short, then.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Certified for GMRS obviously, or crystal controlled, or certified for licensed use frequencies as long as they are not also capable of operating in the amateur bands. 95.1761 (c) If wrong, others will surely advise opposite, even if I am correct. ;)

I think the point of not being a jerk and stay within the power limits will avoid any station visit / inspection. Still, Motorola UHF range R2 gear would be okay which is 450-520…if I understand 95.1761 (c) correctly…and one abides the power limits, bandwidth, etc.

Last edited:

nd5y

Certified for GMRS obviously, or crystal controlled, or certified for licensed use frequencies as long as they are not also capable of operating in the amateur bands. 95.1761 (c) If wrong, others will surely advise opposite, even if I am correct. ;)

If you go to the full text link of part 95 and search for the word "repeater" you will find it 18 times and nowhere does it mention certification exceptions or using repeaters certified for other rule parts but not part 95.

95.335 (a) applies to all personal radio services. It mentions "certain exceptions" that, if they existed, would be specified in other sections. In the case of GMRS there are none.

JASII

Memory Capacity
A groups of us returned last night from a week of UTVing in Tennessee. So, now I am looking at weather resistant ratings for GMRS portable radios.

What are the most weather resistant GMRS portable transceivers that are Part 95E compliant? I see different electronic devices with various ratings, usually IP or JIS.

What is the best waterproof rating for electronics?

Since 8 is the highest number on the IP water rating scale, any IP enclosure with a rating ending in 8 offers the best possible waterproof protection. However, IP68 is usually acknowledged as the most protective IP waterproof rating in common use.

When I do a Google search for IP68 GMRS radio, the Retevis P2 shows up, but I don't think it is Part 95E compliant.

I tried checking the FCC website and it is showing System Maintenance right now.

Attachments

• FCC Systme Maintenance.png
    FCC Systme Maintenance.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A groups of us returned last night from a week of UTVing in Tennessee. So, now I am looking at weather resistant ratings for GMRS portable radios.

What are the most weather resistant GMRS portable transceivers that are Part 95E compliant? I see different electronic devices with various ratings, usually IP or JIS.

I agree. I'd take any CCR radios IP ratings with skepticism.

I've used a lot of different radios while on ATV's, including riding in the rain, snow, mud and a heck of a lot of dust. I never had a challenge with them. Most decent LMR radios will be pretty well sealed. I have never had one of the 500 work radios I look after come in with water damage, even by our guys that end up working out in the rain.

TK-3180, which I used to carry at work when maintaining my UHF stuff, never gave me any issues with rain/fog or anything else. I never tried submerging it, but I suspect it would have been fine with a quick dunk.

If you really want to protect the radio, a marine/boat supply place will sell you waterproof bags for Marine VHF radios that will protect them well and still allow some level of functionality.

But, I doubt you really need that. Get a good radio with the right accessories.

merlin

I think the point of not being a jerk and stay within the power limits will avoid any station visit / inspection. Still, Motorola UHF range R2 gear would be okay which is 450-520…if I understand 95.1761 (c) correctly…and one abides the power limits, bandwidth, etc.
Any radios that will work outside GMRS band will not qualify.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Any radios that will work outside GMRS band will not qualify.
That is not the case. Here is 95.1761:

(c) No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in § 95.1763, unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service. All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.

That explictly forbids certification of a radio for GMRS if it can transmit on ham bands.

It DOES allow (for example) a radio that is certified under Part 90 and Part 95 E, but based on the paragraph above transmission would have to be blocked on the ham bands.

I am unaware of any radios that have been certified for Part 90 and Part 95 E. There *are* some that were certified for Part 90 and the pre-2017 GMRS rules, which are grandfathered in Part 95 E.

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
I try to understand FCC Rules and Regulations, but it seems to be confusing at times. The Majority of GMRS repeaters and radios used on GMRS prior to 2000 are really Part 90 equipment. To get technical on this subject, I'm sure there are GMRS licensees out there that do go by the waiting for a chance to catch someone is only breaking radio typed acceptance rule. Whether being ICOM KENWOOD MOTOROLA or VERTEX/YAESU. Most of the major manufactures will have radios and repeaters that will technically operate in the GMRS spectrum just fine, but don't have the FCC PART 95A or 95E Typed Accepted certification for any of their radios or repeaters.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Majority of GMRS repeaters and radios used on GMRS prior to 2000 are really Part 90 equipment.

"Back in the day" GMRS rules were a bit different than they are now. Businesses could use GMRS legally under one business license. GMRS was a pretty good option for small businesses that just needed a simple system.
The radio manufacturers knew this and many of their radios at the time had certification on Part 90 and well as Part 95. In fact, it was pretty common back in the 1990's for a lot of radios to have both. I had quite a few Icom LMR radios that were legal, so were most of the Kenwood and Motorola radios of the time.

Things have changed since then. Since business/non-individuals can no longer be granted GMRS licenses (existing licenses are "grandfathered"), the demand for LMR radios to have Part 95 certs has gone away. Individuals using GMRS have focused more on the low tier bubble pack radios or the mid-grade Midland stuff.

But, yeah, there isn't anyone running around with a fancy radio-cop meter that swings the needle between "legal" and "illegal". If the person setting up the radio/repeater understands what they are doing, and actually follows the Part 95 rules for emissions, power level and frequency stability, it is highly unlikely anyone is going to know.

But, as always, there are those that are either too stupid or unable to be good neighbors that screw things up for the rest of us.

merlin

Been a lot of major overhauls to the GMRS rules since 2017, even the latest 2023 (?)
Hard to stay on top of them.
Like mmckenna said though, Radios tuned to meet GMRS rules, nobody is going to question it.
There are no "radio cops" running around checking radios.
The FCC doesn't really care or get involved unless there are a number of complaints or interferance to critical systems.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
WHAT??? Do you mean that they might FIB about their ratings??
:ROFLMAO:

No, never. And $15 for a milspec, IP rated, IS rated radio that includes a flashlight, FM broadcast radio and a mosquito repeller is totally a good deal! No idea how Motorola, Kenwood and Harris stay in business with such tough competition on pricing.