Picking up a radio station with signal stalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eastie

Hi everyone,

I am using signal stalker and I have picked up a CBS FM radio station out of nowhere. I haven't heard anything all night on signal stalker and all of a sudden this CBS radio station comes up? (450.35000)

I'm wondering how this happened.. Does this mean maybe a neighbor turned on their radio? I'm in a city neighborhood in Boston.

It is coming in full sharp signal..

I'm curious why it came on all of a sudden.

Thanks!

-Eastie

n5ims

It is most likely either a remote pickup transmitter (the station is on location doing a show) or their IFB. The IFB is a station's raw signal (which may or may not be being broadcast currently) in real-time to allow their remote broadcasters to get their queue signals as well as that of any other guests that may be on the program.

ridgescan

Isnt that a Radio Shack thing? You might have better reults posting this in the radio shack forum above:) this is the shortwave/AM section.

RadioDaze

n5ims is right.

BTW, it's probably more of a "General Scanning" forum issue. It's just a common-knowledge frequency segment.

A Radio Shack thing would be if you went to the RS store and said, "where do I tune in the raw broadcasters' feeds?" and they said "I don't know. You wanna buy a cell phone?"

ridgescan

LOL good one-but this is the SW forum the OP has I assume a scanner with the signal stalker feature? and he's picking up a UHF radio signal. Just thought if this was in its proper forum it may get more attention. But N5ms nailed it anyways.

ecps92

450.3500 is the Remote [IFB] for Boston's CBS WBZ 1030 am.

They turn in on/off for the Traffic Broadcasts.

Hi everyone,

I am using signal stalker and I have picked up a CBS FM radio station out of nowhere. I haven't heard anything all night on signal stalker and all of a sudden this CBS radio station comes up? (450.35000)

I'm wondering how this happened.. Does this mean maybe a neighbor turned on their radio? I'm in a city neighborhood in Boston.

Thanks!

-Eastie

RadioDaze

Out here in So Cal, I pick up KFI 640's feed on (IIRC) 450.725. KFI is a talk radio station with some fairly opinionated hosts from the full range of the political spectrum, and frequently a caller will say something that makes the delay a valuable feature. But it goes out unedited on the remote, making for some amusing listening.

TrenchFeeder

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

-Eastie

I stumbled across this freq the same way, on Signal Stalker completely by accident. In the Chicago area

What I was hearing is the in studio audio feed. Sometimes during the day time you can hear them setting up the studios, doing mic checks and what not. They never turn it off in Chicago. You can listen to everything being broadcast over the air, and hear everything said on an in studio microphone.

Sometimes I use it to "watch" letterman or unsolved mysteries, while I'm on my delivery route

One time I even heard a pre recorded interview being recorded while Dr. Phil was going in the background

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
A lot of TV/Radio stations use back feeds so the reporters in the field will hear when it is time for them to go one the air. Especially with radio stations when you are in a 7 second delay (I was a traffic reporter back in the 90's) and you can't rely on the AM/FM radio in your helo. Scan 450.000-451.000 and 455.000-456.000 and you will find a lot of media action there.

reedeb

AHH, WBZ! I haven't heard them in over a year. Use to listen to them while working 3 shift in ME/NH. Norm Nathan [RIP] and Bob Raleigh miss em both. They kept me awake many nights.

ecps92

Dave Maynard, Larry Glick [RIP] and Gary Lapiere :D

We now return you to Scanning

AHH, WBZ! I haven't heard them in over a year. Use to listen to them while working 3 shift in ME/NH. Norm Nathan [RIP] and Bob Raleigh miss em both. They kept me awake many nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.