Tecsun PL-600 Off Frequency or NOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simpilo

Let's say I am want to listen to WRMI on 5850khz. I tune the radio to 5850khz then move it down 2 khz to 5848khz and find the signal is stronger. When I tune it back to 5850khz I find the signal strength will rise and the radio will sound a bit more on frequency. Is this intentional from the factory or is it off frequency?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Let's say I am want to listen to WRMI on 5850khz. I tune the radio to 5850khz then move it down 2 khz to 5848khz and find the signal is stronger. When I tune it back to 5850khz I find the signal strength will rise and the radio will sound a bit more on frequency. Is this intentional from the factory or is it off frequency?
Is the signal actually stronger, or is it "just" more audible to you? It could be either, or a mixture of both.

What about listening to WWV, or other time standard?

Sent using Tapatalk

S

simpilo

Is the signal actually stronger, or is it "just" more audible to you? It could be either, or a mixture of both.

What about listening to WWV, or other time standard?

Sent using Tapatalk
mixture of both however if the signal is strong it sound like it's on frequency on correct frequency. If it is weak enough I have to tune down 2khz for a better signal. The funny thing is it will zero beat as if it's on frequency.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
The funny thing is it will zero beat as if it's on frequency.

Yes - to get the BFO on, you switched to SSB but there's the catch - on SSB the bandwidth is Narrow. I find that listening to an AM station on narrow the frequency where it sounds best is correct, but if I switch to wide, it sounds 'off-tune'. Tuning down 1kHz or so makes it sound better - I guess the wide filter has a slightly offset centre frequency.

if the signal is strong it sound like it's on frequency on correct frequency.

Yes - because the AGC reduces the gain which has the effect of broadening the bandwidth thereby masking the offset.

S

simpilo

Yes - to get the BFO on, you switched to SSB but there's the catch - on SSB the bandwidth is Narrow. I find that listening to an AM station on narrow the frequency where it sounds best is correct, but if I switch to wide, it sounds 'off-tune'. Tuning down 1kHz or so makes it sound better - I guess the wide filter has a slightly offset centre frequency.

I think so to. These types of filters are a fixed value are not adjustable by and variable capacitor, inductor, variable resistor. It may need component value changes but that's to risky without a schematic and proper knowledge. I don't have that knowledge. I guess it's just the nature of the radio.

Can more people test their PL-600 for the same symptom just to see if this a common problem? Turn it on and tune to 10000khz WWV in WIDE filter and tune down 1khz or 2khz see if the signal increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.