Police Scanners illegal, but not radar detectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
They are only illegal in a few states. I believe DC and Virginia are the two. In all of the other states if you do get a ticket while having a radar detector in plain sight it's sort of a HaHa for the officer.
At one time, radar detectors were illegal in Connecticut. I couldn't mount one in the 1980's when I lived and/or worked there. Then in 1992, the state legislature legalized the use of detectors and ended what had been a 20 year ban.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
A radar detector lets you know you just got popped. Unless you’re in a crowd, then it’s a guessing game which car he will pull over. With all the newer vehicles that have satellite radio, they already know how fast you’re going. Just as bad as your cell phone, you’re tracked.

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
Unless the LEO leaves the radar on, in which case you’ll likely pick up the gun long before you’re in range of a read, most departments now use “instant on” radar or laser, either of which means your busted by the time your detector lights up. Just smile, be polite, and hope the LEO is having a good day 👮‍♂️.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
State Police in Pennsylvania can run radar wherever they want that is defined as a state route (which is most of the state). There has been legislation entered over and over to allow local to have radar but it gets knocked down every single time due to state police lobbying. Locals can still use certified speedometer, speed strips and VASCAR.
Back in the '70s when I was a cop, the SCHP had MR-9 and MR-11 moving radars mounted in their vehicles. Quite a few of the officers died later of brain cancer, possibly from the radar.

Also, back then I subscribed to Playboy's sister publication called "Oui". In one of the articles an author described how a guy in Texas had adapted the internals of a Radar Range microwave oven to mount in the front of his muscle car. Supposedly he could jam any police radar and even "melt" the internals of the police radar. It was enjoyable reading, anyway...

GadgetGeek

Unless the LEO leaves the radar on, in which case you’ll likely pick up the gun long before you’re in range of a read, most departments now use “instant on” radar or laser, either of which means your busted by the time your detector lights up. Just smile, be polite, and hope the LEO is having a good day 👮‍♂️.
Around here most of the cop cars have always on radar. My Ecort Max 360 picks them up before they're in sight a long ways.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Back in the '70s when I was a cop, the SCHP had MR-9 and MR-11 moving radars mounted in their vehicles. Quite a few of the officers died later of brain cancer, possibly from the radar.

Also, back then I subscribed to Playboy's sister publication called "Oui". In one of the articles an author described how a guy in Texas had adapted the internals of a Radar Range microwave oven to mount in the front of his muscle car. Supposedly he could jam any police radar and even "melt" the internals of the police radar. It was enjoyable reading, anyway...
Oui had articles?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
How is a gun designed to break any laws,?
I suppose that while a gun can be used in the commission of a crime as well as by a law enforcement officer or sport shooter, a radar detector doesn't have any other use other than avoiding speeding tickets and therfore law enforcement.

hp8920

With all the newer vehicles that have satellite radio, they already know how fast you’re going. Just as bad as your cell phone, you’re tracked.
What you mean is telematics, e.g. OnStar. Nearly all new cars have telematics because the EU made emergency crash response mandatory starting 2018. Car makers realized they could have an ongoing revenue stream selling services like remote start, sending you ads the moment you're due for an oil change, as well as gathering analytics for their own use.

GROL

I suppose that while a gun can be used in the commission of a crime as well as by a law enforcement officer or sport shooter, a radar detector doesn't have any other use other than avoiding speeding tickets and therfore law enforcement.
Firearms are also legally used for defense. More often than is reported by the media. It is especially helpful to elderly who can no longer defend themselves physically. Motor vehicles are used in the commission of crimes, as well as kitchen knives, axes and any other item someone chooses to use. By itself, a firearm cannot commit a crime any more than any other tool or object. Bad example. Anyone who depends on radar detectors to avoid speed detection is a fool. They are a useless gimic.

Status
Not open for further replies.