Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

Filtered in the context of this thread is about using switching power supplies made for computer/server use which produce RF noise that can interfere with HF and sometimes VHF reception. They can usually be cleaned up by adding various filters on the AC input and DC output. A power supply marketed for amateur radio use should not cause any radio interference or need any additional filtering, however there have been a few cheap units identified in the past that where not quite clean enough.

If you stick to the major brands sold by amateur radio dealers like Astron, Semlex, Diawa, Diamond, Alinco, Powerwerx, or by the radio mfrs themselves like Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood, you will be just fine.

Astron happens to be my favorite general purpose brand based on using them for the last 35yrs or more. I currently have an Astron SS-18, SS-25M, SS-30, SS-30M, VS-35M, VS-50M, VLS-25M, VS-70M and a 28V LSRM-18A. Some have been running 24/7 for a very long time like 20yrs or so.

WOW!!!
lots of good input.
I definitely want to buy the right one the first time.
I'm not trying to buy the cheapest. Probably don't need the best either.
But I want one what I wont regret buying. No need in being frustrated with what I buy.

And a couple people mentioned having one that is well FILTERED. One person recommended an ASTRON. How is the filtering on the Astron?
Or what are the good FILTERED power supplies on the market?

KD2FIQ

I have an Astron SS-30M. I also have an Astron RS-35M. I did not care for the terminals on the back of the SS-30M. I did some tinkering and replaced with Anderson Power Poles. The RS-35M has nice studs. I'm curious about the Powerwerx SS-30DV.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

N4KVE

I asked Astron about that. I have an early SS-30M, & it has the same studs on the rear as the RS-35M. A few years into the SS supplies they went to the current design. They told me it was because the 2 threaded studs on the back of a power supply are easy to short. But the newer design on the SS series can not be short curcuited, because it’s all plastic. They still use the threaded studs on the heavy RS series, but not on the SS series.

KD2FIQ

Here's my modified rear connections.

Attachments

• 20160716_085431.jpg
    20160716_085431.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 194

Jigglehurts

^^ good post and nice mod. I have an ss18 and like how compact it is but don't really like the rear power posts. Don't strip the threads trying to clamped down on the wires on thicker guage and don't be moving the power supply around alot while toys are attached to it or wires can work loose.
Like previous poster said, Murphy will be watching.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Noise is no longer a concern with 'switching' power supplies?

As prcguy said that with reputable brands you're not likely going to find any noise; however, QST did a review of a few "HAM-focused" power supplies a couple of years ago and found that most were pretty bad. Jetstream and Powerwerx issued "fixes" shortly after the QST article was released. I believe Alinco [330MVT] was reviewed and had passed. I don't recall Astron being reviewed for the article but the article was focused on low-cost switching supplies.

trx680

ok, looking around at the Astron. I'm looking at two models that are similar except for voltages:

RS70M
11 - 15 Volts Adjustable DC Linear Power Supply 57 Amps Cont 70 Amps ICS with Meters

VS70M
2 - 15 Volts Adjustable DC Linear Power Supply 57 Amps Cont 70 Amps ICS with Meters

Not that I'm looking to buy these but whats the purpose of making one with a minimum of 11 volts and one with 2 volts? Other than that they look the same. Price is the same.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you want to run stuff that needs 3.3V or 5V power, then there's a pretty good reason to get the one over the other.

prcguy

As a coincidence, I have an RS70M that was made into a VS70M. I think the RS is geared toward amateur radio hobby where your powering 12V vehicle equipment. The VS is more of a universal bench supply, however the maximum current available goes way down as you go lower in voltage. For example at 10V its only good for 34A and at 2V its 16A max.

ok, looking around at the Astron. I'm looking at two models that are similar except for voltages:

RS70M
11 - 15 Volts Adjustable DC Linear Power Supply 57 Amps Cont 70 Amps ICS with Meters

VS70M
2 - 15 Volts Adjustable DC Linear Power Supply 57 Amps Cont 70 Amps ICS with Meters

Not that I'm looking to buy these but whats the purpose of making one with a minimum of 11 volts and one with 2 volts? Other than that they look the same. Price is the same.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Astron model numbers:

RS -- not user adjustable without opening the case. Generally intended to operate at a fixed voltage.
VS -- user adjustable voltage from the front panel.

For most amateur radio and other communication purposes, a fixed voltage supply is all that is needed. Most of this equipment is intended to operate at 13.6 volts DC.

FYI, either of those power supplies are rated at 70 amps "intermittent" duty which is way overkill for just about anything you might have in your ham shack. A 25-30 amp power supply will comfortably operate most any 100 watt HF radio and be considerably less expensive, lighter, and less bulky than a 70 amp power supply.

KD2FIQ

trx680 - That's a real big power supply! What are you running / keying down at the same time?

wb6uqa

power supply

The power supply is the most important part of your station. A astron 35m has enough current, filtering and no fan noise to run most equipment. Also protection.

trx680

The power supply is the most important part of your station. A astron 35m has enough current, filtering and no fan noise to run most equipment. Also protection.

Lets look at the 35m's
I dont think I'll need a rack mount, but a table top unit

VS-35M
2 - 15 Volts Adjustable DC Linear Power Supply 25 Amps Cont 35 Amps ICS with Meters

RS-35M
11 - 15 Volts Adjustable DC Linear Power Supply 25 Amps Cont 35 Amps ICS with Meters

VLS-35M
5 - 32 Volts Adjustable DC Linear Power Supply 35 Amps Peak @ 28 Volts with Meters

LS-35M
22 - 32 Volts Adjustable DC Linear Power Supply 27 Amps Continuous 35 Amps ICS with Meters

So I'm leaning towards maybe an icom 7300. Then I'll probably want something that picks up more than just the VHF/UHF so..... perhaps a mobile type unit. So I'll need to hook up multiple units.
Then again there are the icom 7610 all-mode-transciever.

Decisions decisions!!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Get the RS-35M.

You don't need the VS because you don't need an adjustable power supply to feed your radios. The fixed voltage that the RS series provides will work just fine. You don't need either the VLS or LS because those are designed to go up to 32 volts which you also don't need.

You didn't mention the SS-30 or SS-30M which would also be good choices. As we've mentioned before, the RS series is a linear power supply (large and heavy) while the SS is a switching power supply (smaller, lighter, a bit more efficient, and less expensive).

So I'm leaning towards maybe an icom 7300. Then I'll probably want something that picks up more than just the VHF/UHF so..... perhaps a mobile type unit.
I don't understand this statement. The IC-7300 is primarily an HF radio. It transmits up through the 6m band. What do you mean by "something that picks up more than just the VHF/UHF"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.