• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

President Randy vs Midland 75-822

Status
Not open for further replies.

arudlang

I'm really, really new to CB radio so maybe I'm missing something, but... I can't believe there are six pages of discussion on the president randy over the course of many months and NOBODY even brings up the Midland 75-822 ???

Like I said, I'm new and learning a lot and figuring things out but from what I know so far... the 75-822 kinda blows the p. randy clean out of the water and has been available since forever. I would have thought all you guys probably already owned multiple 75-822 radios for backups and truck/testing/emergency mobile use/etc? With the sweet swappable battery bases and the car kit? The Midland looks like a way and above better choice from my perspective. Its cheaper and gives you more versatility.

Why would anyone go with the p. randy over the 75-822? Surely we look past trivial things like ability to change the backlight color of the LCD, and acknowledge the usefulness of VOX is almost non-existent outside of some very specific (usually non-mobile) scenarios?

Last edited by a moderator:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Clarify, “blows Randy out of the water”.

Neither it nor the MIDLAND piece is a true substitute for a full-feature radio. Portability is the thing.

Available at a moments notice (stored in glovebox) is the virtue.

Connected to A VERY GOOD MOBILE RADIO INSTALLATION the Randy performs roughly comparable with a UNIDEN 880, but it or the MIDLAND would be temporary against the ears of a “real” radio. It (they) are at the far end of the performance scale.

Walkabout to communicate with a base or others in a group is the point. Being free from a vehicle or house system

A wireless UNIDEN microphone offers some of the same over a fair radius from the fixed transceiver. (And potentially connected to a far more capable transceiver).

To fly & drive (past glovebox as a backup & walkabout radio) hits the nail on the head.

One needs complementary antennas to go with one of these truly portable radios to get the best from them.

But the performance deficit I’d suffer in substituting one of these for the DX-959 in my Kenworth this morning makes them BOTH a niche application.

What Citizens Band is capable of doing is more than most realize, despite a few decades of “experience”.

I picked up chatter about an Interstate closure day before yesterday due to a HAZ-MAT spill roughly two hundred miles ahead (TX was under ten miles from a discussion). No one else around me heard it. Confirmation on my end woke up nearly a dozen others to whom I relayed the report. (Having to shut down early where any of us weren’t blocked from parking by others already parked was the thing; a VERY busy truck route).

These radios — good as they are — aren’t in that league.

Be clear about use, and don’t think that the high end of the performance spectrum will not matter if contemplated as a mobile main unit.

I AGAIN altered travel plans yesterday due to a seven-mile backup from a fatality accident; I had TIME and DISTANCE to perform a DETOUR to safe parking for the night. Forewarned FAR AHEAD of WAZE or GOOGLE maps, etc

When it matters, your fellow citizens are the BEST set of eyes and ears (warnings) to be found. (One of the drivers nearest the accident scene had walked over to the State Troopers for best info, THEN RELAYED THAT ON-AIR).

Drivers “waiting” to be informed and/or those relying on devices to tell them what to do are forever behind the curve and suffer accordingly. Timely information makes for the BEST set of actions possible. A typical CB in a typical mobile installation isn’t at the necessary level.

Is the MIDLAND a shirt-pocket piece? The Randy is that useful shape, size & weight. Both are attractive and inexpensive. Having both at hand to examine and compare would be best. Battery life is second, and on-air “ears”, third.

Last edited:

arudlang

Watch out, I'm feeling long-winded this morning!:D

Clarify, “blows Randy out of the water”.

Neither it nor the MIDLAND piece is a true substitute for a full-feature radio. Portability is the thing.

Available at a moments notice (stored in glovebox) is the virtue.

I generally mean that between these two handheld, portable radios the Midland is much more portable and flexible than the Randy.

The Randy is a functional rechargeable handheld, with AM and weather channels, plus scanning and a couple other nice-to-haves.

The Midland does these same core CB functions.

Where I believe the Midland is "more portable and versatile" is in how the base/battery pack of the Midland radio are swappable, and Midland provides (without extra charge) a "base" for the radio with nice coiled wire pigtail that ends in a 12v cig lighter plug and an SO239 connector for an antenna. Midland also includes two battery pack bases with purchase of that radio, one which holds 6 alkaline batteries and one which holds 8 rechargeable AA batteries. The 8-cell pack can be charged independently on its own.

I think these features give the Midland a huge advantage. If I took the time (as I will) to install a quality antenna on our Jeep Cherokee and carefully route the coax into the vehicle and bring it up say, into the glovebox or inside the center console, under a seat even, I can then easily set up the "car base" for the Midland to that antenna wire and tuck it away (glovebox looking like a good choice so far) and then whenever I want to use the radio in that car all I have to do is slide on that car base onto the bottom of the radio, and it instantly gets a quality connection to the antenna and power (assume I hard-wired the power, but the cig port would be fine too).

Now maybe we want to hop out of the car some hours later and go on a hike, bike ride, drop my boat in a lake, head up a ski hill, etc. I can just slide the car base off the bottom of my Midland and slap on either one of my battery packs, probably the rechargeable one, but I may also carry the alkaline battery pack as an emergency backup in case the rechargeable pack goes dead.

You can kinda do that with the Randy, but you have to deal with the entire bulk of the radio and it will be two separate wires to fiddle with, one of which will probably be a stiff piece of coax on the top and the other being a power wire (plugs into the side? bottom?) that may easily become unplugged. This is clearly more cumbersome to deal with in the car than the compact Midland with its clean quick-connect base.

I know for sure the Midland accepts a speaker mic accessory, details are a little less clear on the President but hopefully it has jacks?

I know the Midland comes out of the box with its three options, car power or AA alkaline or AA rechargeable, the Randy its unclear if the battery pack is swappable, it may be permanent, but even if its swappable its still not as versatile as being able to fall back on good old AA batteries that you can scrounge up anywhere anytime.

Walkabout to communicate with a base or others in a group is the point. Being free from a vehicle or house system

A wireless UNIDEN microphone offers some of the same over a fair radius from the fixed transceiver. (And potentially connected to a far more capable transceiver).

I agree, being able to leave your car and still be in communication is the whole idea. The Uniden wireless mic is very cool, and if we saw fit to put a Bearcat 980SSB in our car we could use the wireless mic to chat and get weather updates while at our campsites, this is true, but we may still leave our campsite and want to be connected. No problem right, just buy more radios? Well, I know I'm not the only one here who watches their pennies carefully. Our main travel car is generally my wife's car day to day and I don't spend any time in it other than when we are going on trips and adventures together. Am I to spend $100ish dollars on a quality antenna install for "her" car and then another $120-$160 for a nice Bearcat SSB in it and then yet another $80-$100 for the Uniden wireless mic, and then buy a handheld besides so I can be connected if I go hiking biking skiing kayaking or whatever far away from our car? And this is for 6-8 serious trips per year, at most..

The budget-minded person has to agree the Midland allows you to cover a LOT off bases with just one radio purchase.

Sure, neither the Midland nor the Randy have SSB but that is not really the point of our type of mobile communications. We are usually adventuring in small groups of 4-8 with friends and family, these adventures can consist of camping hiking biking kayaking or paddle boarding, skiing, etc etc.

This past summer we went on multiple trips to areas with poor or non-existent cell coverage (the best type of areas, I would say). We camped and hiked and paddled the beautiful Devil's Lake area of Wisconsin with three other people. We don't always spend every moment with each other, sometimes going off to do our own thing for a bit, but without cell coverage there was no way to chat even though we were all less than a mile from each other. We could have really used the weather ch functionality on a portable radio while we were all out paddling on the lake one day and got caught on the far side of the lake in a storm. The lake is walled with cliffs you can hike but without the cell coverage its pretty tough to get help if someone breaks an ankle, no doubt the ranger station at the bottom has a monitored radio though (they also put an emergency phone up at the top of the bluffs, hopefully you break that ankle near it if you didn't bring a radio ;) )

We also went on a trip this summer with a couple family members (who took their own car) to the upper peninsula of Michigan. Our cars met up on the highway about halfway there. Most of the UP has spotty cell coverage. Sometimes going through traffic our cars would get separated, not really by more than 1/4 mile or so but far enough to lose sight, when you get out of the populated area and back onto the rural part of a highway its nice to be able to check in and see if they are ahead of or behind you. We went out paddling and biking on our own a couple times from the house we rented, which had neither cell coverage nor internet, would have been nice to have portable radios for them to let us know breakfast was ready or "hey, some people just showed up here at the rental, there is some confusion about who has the house rented on which days" (type of thing that happened).

We also went skiing last spring with two other couples on a large hill with many different runs and chairlifts. Even if you start out together you can each take different forks in the trails and come out at drastically different places at the bottom. Then it's a game of "where is so-and-so? Are they already on the chair? Which chair? Are they waiting at the bottom or the top?" Some CBs in backpacks with the antenna poking out and a simple speaker mic are the way to go there, vs pulling off your gloves to try to use a cell phone (not sure there was really even any service there anyways).

So what I'm saying is there are TONS of short-range applications for "weak" handhelds without SSB. If I have a spare Midland 75-822 I can show another couple how to use it once, and then that's their radio for the whole trip, car base with a temporary mag mount centerload for their car and battery bases for on the go. Its not that the Randy wouldn't work but it would be more cumbersome in the car. I guess if it supports a speaker mic that would help but they don't even make that clear.

Certainly not saying I wouldn't graciously accept a p. Randy if someone gave me one, but if I had to go buy a new portable radio tomorrow with my own money it looks to me like I get a lot more for less money from Midland ($100 vs $139).

Is the MIDLAND a shirt-pocket piece? The Randy is that useful shape, size & weight. Both are attractive and inexpensive. Having both at hand to examine and compare would be best.

It would be fun to see a side-by-side comparison but with the Midland it all depends on which base it attached...

Attachments

• 75-822-with-accessories-662308_5000x.jpg
    75-822-with-accessories-662308_5000x.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 15

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have that Midland 75-822. I rarely use it, but it works well enough to listen as well as find out if I need to take an alternate route. I am sure I swept the handheld antenna. I did not throw it away, so it must have been okay. That swappable base connection is very convenient and rechargeable batteries are ubiquitous.

As a handheld, the 11 meter band makes CB a poor choice due to the extremely compromised antenna, vs a radio around 70 cm and the antenna used for that on FRS/GMRS or Amateur. Still, it comes back to convenience as a CB may be all another has in their vehicle.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Watch out, I'm feeling long-winded this morning!:D

I generally mean that between these two handheld, portable radios the Midland is much more portable and flexible than the Randy.

The Randy is a functional rechargeable handheld, with AM and weather channels, plus scanning and a couple other nice-to-haves.

The Midland does these same core CB functions.

Where I believe the Midland is "more portable and versatile" is in how the base/battery pack of the Midland radio are swappable, and Midland provides (without extra charge) a "base" for the radio with nice coiled wire pigtail that ends in a 12v cig lighter plug and an SO239 connector for an antenna. Midland also includes two battery pack bases with purchase of that radio, one which holds 6 alkaline batteries and one which holds 8 rechargeable AA batteries. The 8-cell pack can be charged independently on its own.

I think these features give the Midland a huge advantage. If I took the time (as I will) to install a quality antenna on our Jeep Cherokee and carefully route the coax into the vehicle and bring it up say, into the glovebox or inside the center console, under a seat even, I can then easily set up the "car base" for the Midland to that antenna wire and tuck it away (glovebox looking like a good choice so far) and then whenever I want to use the radio in that car all I have to do is slide on that car base onto the bottom of the radio, and it instantly gets a quality connection to the antenna and power (assume I hard-wired the power, but the cig port would be fine too).

Now maybe we want to hop out of the car some hours later and go on a hike, bike ride, drop my boat in a lake, head up a ski hill, etc. I can just slide the car base off the bottom of my Midland and slap on either one of my battery packs, probably the rechargeable one, but I may also carry the alkaline battery pack as an emergency backup in case the rechargeable pack goes dead.

You can kinda do that with the Randy, but you have to deal with the entire bulk of the radio and it will be two separate wires to fiddle with, one of which will probably be a stiff piece of coax on the top and the other being a power wire (plugs into the side? bottom?) that may easily become unplugged. This is clearly more cumbersome to deal with in the car than the compact Midland with its clean quick-connect base.

I know for sure the Midland accepts a speaker mic accessory, details are a little less clear on the President but hopefully it has jacks?

I know the Midland comes out of the box with its three options, car power or AA alkaline or AA rechargeable, the Randy its unclear if the battery pack is swappable, it may be permanent, but even if its swappable its still not as versatile as being able to fall back on good old AA batteries that you can scrounge up anywhere anytime.

I agree, being able to leave your car and still be in communication is the whole idea. The Uniden wireless mic is very cool, and if we saw fit to put a Bearcat 980SSB in our car we could use the wireless mic to chat and get weather updates while at our campsites, this is true, but we may still leave our campsite and want to be connected. No problem right, just buy more radios? Well, I know I'm not the only one here who watches their pennies carefully. Our main travel car is generally my wife's car day to day and I don't spend any time in it other than when we are going on trips and adventures together. Am I to spend $100ish dollars on a quality antenna install for "her" car and then another $120-$160 for a nice Bearcat SSB in it and then yet another $80-$100 for the Uniden wireless mic, and then buy a handheld besides so I can be connected if I go hiking biking skiing kayaking or whatever far away from our car? And this is for 6-8 serious trips per year, at most..

The budget-minded person has to agree the Midland allows you to cover a LOT off bases with just one radio purchase.

Sure, neither the Midland nor the Randy have SSB but that is not really the point of our type of mobile communications. We are usually adventuring in small groups of 4-8 with friends and family, these adventures can consist of camping hiking biking kayaking or paddle boarding, skiing, etc etc.

This past summer we went on multiple trips to areas with poor or non-existent cell coverage (the best type of areas, I would say). We camped and hiked and paddled the beautiful Devil's Lake area of Wisconsin with three other people. We don't always spend every moment with each other, sometimes going off to do our own thing for a bit, but without cell coverage there was no way to chat even though we were all less than a mile from each other. We could have really used the weather ch functionality on a portable radio while we were all out paddling on the lake one day and got caught on the far side of the lake in a storm. The lake is walled with cliffs you can hike but without the cell coverage its pretty tough to get help if someone breaks an ankle, no doubt the ranger station at the bottom has a monitored radio though (they also put an emergency phone up at the top of the bluffs, hopefully you break that ankle near it if you didn't bring a radio ;) )

We also went on a trip this summer with a couple family members (who took their own car) to the upper peninsula of Michigan. Our cars met up on the highway about halfway there. Most of the UP has spotty cell coverage. Sometimes going through traffic our cars would get separated, not really by more than 1/4 mile or so but far enough to lose sight, when you get out of the populated area and back onto the rural part of a highway its nice to be able to check in and see if they are ahead of or behind you. We went out paddling and biking on our own a couple times from the house we rented, which had neither cell coverage nor internet, would have been nice to have portable radios for them to let us know breakfast was ready or "hey, some people just showed up here at the rental, there is some confusion about who has the house rented on which days" (type of thing that happened).

We also went skiing last spring with two other couples on a large hill with many different runs and chairlifts. Even if you start out together you can each take different forks in the trails and come out at drastically different places at the bottom. Then it's a game of "where is so-and-so? Are they already on the chair? Which chair? Are they waiting at the bottom or the top?" Some CBs in backpacks with the antenna poking out and a simple speaker mic are the way to go there, vs pulling off your gloves to try to use a cell phone (not sure there was really even any service there anyways).

So what I'm saying is there are TONS of short-range applications for "weak" handhelds without SSB. If I have a spare Midland 75-822 I can show another couple how to use it once, and then that's their radio for the whole trip, car base with a temporary mag mount centerload for their car and battery bases for on the go. Its not that the Randy wouldn't work but it would be more cumbersome in the car. I guess if it supports a speaker mic that would help but they don't even make that clear.

Certainly not saying I wouldn't graciously accept a p. Randy if someone gave me one, but if I had to go buy a new portable radio tomorrow with my own money it looks to me like I get a lot more for less money from Midland ($100 vs $139).

It would be fun to see a side-by-side comparison but with the Midland it all depends on which base it attached...

Thanks.

I haven’t used the MIDLAND.

Maybe you haven’t used the PRESIDENT.

1). The Randy — in my KW hooked into the radio
or in my shirt pocket couldn’t be much less obtrusive.

2). The charge rate and usage-time are exemplary. (See review on CBRadioMagazine).

3. The performance is “okay”. It is not a substitute for a full-featured regular radio (by extension, neither is the Midland).

— Both offer portability. Lacking that need (different than desire) it’s a mistake to make it the main unit of a vehicle. (Backup, sure; good choice.)

Expensive is in not having what was needed at the right moment. That’s what’s being missed in the linked post.

Last edited:

MaxDonoghue

I have the Randy FCC. Since only one antenna is on the car and that is my 2m/440 antenna, I picked up the Randy to put in the center console when on the highway to listen for road emergencies etc. It is a very capable radio, lots of features and good audio on both transmit and receive. I'll be picking up a speaker mic for it shortly. I have a Larsen 11m antenna, might put another mount on the hood.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Had a cherrokee cb with sideband that worked great. Looks similar to the midland. The Randy works fairly well but sucks no SSB.

That Cherokee would fit in your shirt pocket? Lithium battery? Lack of Sideband isn’t a detractor.

tibadoex

I had a Midland 75-822 and now have the Cobra 38 WXST & the President Randy.

The 75-822 did OK but I ended up selling it. Main reason the receive speaker volume just wasn't loud enough for me while in the car.

The Cobra & Randy seem more solid and speaker volume to my ears are a notch better. If the Randy had SSB - it would make #1 on my list. In reality all three are good radios and I wish I would have kept the Midland so I would have 3 portable radios when out in the woods.

At the end of the day all portables are just that: portable. They just don't do as well as a true mobile or base setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.