Pro-162 now on Radio Shack web site $199.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9jdk

Firmware for 162? and USB cable comment

Just getting familiar with the 162. So far, so good and as I've mentioned earlier in this thread, this is my first scanner. Comparing it to the Amateur Radio handhelds I own, this seems to be a solid unit. Like the feel, audio and display so far.

Now for a question and comment.

Reading through the manual, I saw no mention of firmware. Found nothing in the menus. Does this scanner support firmware updates? No biggie now, but with it being able to reband, doesn't that imply that its upgradable?

Also noticed that the USB cable is somewhat expensive. Probably no alternative, just wanted to make the comment. I don't want/need it now, 'cause I'd like to learn how to program (and better learn) the thing manually, but eventually I'd like to get into programming it.

k9jdk

Pro-162 update

Spent some time over this past weekend programming the 162. Very easy imo. I think I could do it now w/o the manual.

Programmed an EDACS trunked system for Lake County. Duck soup. Has good ears @800Mhz with an antenna I bought last century at a hamfest for a 2m handheld. I've ordered a Diamond which should arrive this week.

Onward to another trunk system. This time Moto II.

There is more I need to learn, but so far, so good.

I'm quite pleased with this scanner.

Statevillian

One thing I don't like is the fact it has no I Calls. The Will County EDACS and a couple other area Mot Type II systems use their version:private Line. The 162 can't do it. I like the status bit feature. Display is great. feel is good. So far trunks decent on Mot Type II and LTR. Antenna is very important with this scanner. I see that already.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Antenna is very important with this scanner. I see that already.

I could not agree with you more. I use the Diamond 951S on it. It seems to perform very well. If I am trying to listen to something really borderline fuzzy, I clean it up with the Diamond RH-77CA. The buck stops there! Im loving it so far myself.

Manny

flynlr

Premium Subscriber
there is one thing I would like to be able to do with the 162 but cannot seem t0 find out how.

I have have programed a hundred or so talk id's with alpha tags into the beast but cannot find a way to pull up this list and select this tag or that tag to listen to

lugoffman

How does everyone think about the radio is it a better radio than the pro164 or about the same ????????? reason being I want to know should i take the 164 back and get one and try it out or is the 164 better or just about the same

k9jdk

Pro-162 F/W update

Just a little update on the Pro-162 firmware question/issue mentioned earlier in this thread.

On the 162 box, there are the following words in one of the bullet points under the Technology section:

"Flash-upgradeable CPU memory"

There is nothing in the manual regarding f/w or any menu items that I can find that displays the current firmware version. That said, I gotta wonder just how one would upgrade the f/w when made available. I guess we'll find out - sometime down the road.

Statevillian

How does everyone think about the radio is it a better radio than the pro164 or about the same ????????? reason being I want to know should i take the 164 back and get one and try it out or is the 164 better or just about the same

I have been testing the 162 side by side with my GRE300 and the 300 is blowing it away so far. With a great antenna the 162 is almost there but, it has finicky reception issues to me. I have only done indoor rubber duck antenna testing so far. Next week it will be field trip time.
Don't get me wrong folks...cosmetically and the feel and display are awesome. And, when I am in that *spot* it performs great. But, the GRE300 shows up and steals the show. Purely reception.

KM4WLV

Got my 162 today, and to me, was pretty easy to program by hand compared to other units I've had. Manuel seems a bit easier to understand also. I had it up & programmed in about 30 minutes. Reception isn't to bad, but then again, the 2 main TRS sites I listen to, I live a mile from, so as I get out & about the rest of the week we'll see how it peforms.

All in all, seems to be a pretty solid unit, IMO.

k9jdk

Diamond RH771 - Pro-162

Received a Diamond RH771 for my 162. Seems to work well, but it is difficult for me to quanitate the difference between it and similar antennas. The Ham 2 meter/440 antenna I have and described earlier in this thread works well too. Both out perform the stock duck that ships with the 162 - no surprise there.

I'm liking the 162 more as I understand and use it.

Noklue3

Newbie Question..... Which one is the best for buck? The Pro 162 or the Pro 97? Can get either of them now for $199. I've been reading for hours and am on overload.

Thanks!

scannersnstuff

without getting into a long story,bought a pro-162 and returned it.was under impressed with the sensitivity and audio.on the other hand i sold my pro-97.the audio and the sensitivity were pretty darn good.the pro-97 is not rebanding capable however.

lugoffman

Newbie Question..... Which one is the best for buck? The Pro 162 or the Pro 97? Can get either of them now for $199. I've been reading for hours and am on overload.

Thanks!

I know nothing about the 162 but I can say I like the pro 164 it is just about the same as the 97 but a little better than the 97 in my home town they are $169.00 in the store but 219.00 on the web sight it may had changed since last week though but even at 199.99 I would go with the 164 pay the extra 20 bucks and then get win97 and have the software for it as well but like I said I know nothing about the 162 but would like to know the difference between the two the 162 vs the 164 jmo !

scannersnstuff

just a update.when the pro-162 went on sale this last week i once again purchased one.what a p.o.s.
in term's of sensitivity this thing suck's.i was about 7 or 8 air mile's from a 800 meg.control point.i had the pro-162 locked on the channel with a r.s. 800 duck. i had my psr-500 locked on the same channel with a vhf hi antenna. the psr-500 was pegging the signal.the pro-162 was "picket fencing".at time's there was no signal present at all.i'll be returning the pro-162 for the second time.yes i realize uniden made it for radioshack.

Status
Not open for further replies.