Pro 164 Isn't Displaying Bank IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebobe

I have a Pro 164. I just bought it to replace my aging Pro 95. So far I'm happy with it, but I noticed that it isn't showing bank IDs in non-trunked banks. I have upgraded the firmware to 1.07. I am using the ARC300 software to program it. Nothing I have tried so far will make the bank IDs show up. I tried full init and reset of factory freqs, and they don't show up with the factory freqs either. I'm pretty sure they should, since they do on my 95. RS support is of course non existant. I have some air band freqs programmed, and some channel tags are used in mulitple banks [Memphis ATC and Atlanta ATC have some overlap] so I would really like to know who I am hearing. Anyone else seeing this?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
We can blame GRE for this one

Welcome to RadioReference.com! This was my first complaint about the PRO-97 and PSR-300 (PRO-164) as well. With the PRO-95 I am able to get a 24 character description for each channel; 12 from the bank or control channel text and 12 from the channel or TG text. I was also able to do that with the PRO-92 on channels that did not use PL (CT) tones.

For whatever STUPID reason, GRE decided that we don't need to see "bank text tags" on the later scanners; probably because we have 16 characters to display instead of 12. This is a step back as far as I am concerned.

What is really stupid is that we see the bank text tags while the scanner is scanning, but not when stopped. And if it stops on a conventional channel set to AM or FM, the 4th line of the display is blank.

STUPID STUPID STUPID

joebobe

Ok, I'm stunned......

Thanks, BTW. This is good and bad news I suppose. Good, my scanner isn't broke, bad, that my scanner isn't broke. Funny thing is, I sent a support request to the makers and got a reply. The fellow said he was not supposed to provide support for RS products, but had I tried X and y? This led me to believe that the PSR models would dsiplay the tags. Oh boy.

Ok, I have some phone numbers and I know how to use them. I can't imagine it's stuck that way in hardware, since they DO display during scanning. So it's time to build a fire under some execs. Guess I won't be selling the Pro 95 soon.

I have some scantenna projects in the works, will post link to pics soon.

Joe

joebobe

Swapped Email With GRE

Their tech claims that the last line is "reserved" for CTCSS/DCS data, and thus was unavailable to use for bank tags on conventional freqs. My last reply to him was "why blank out an entire line on the display for a mode that isn't selected". I smell some bovine scat&#$*%. I have emailed GRE Corporate, and their sales people. I'm going to give them a couple of days, and then I will give up. There's a nice trunked scanner made by a company with an ursine name, that I wish I had seen weeks ago.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-164 / psr-300

Their tech claims that the last line is "reserved" for CTCSS/DCS data, and thus was unavailable to use for bank tags on conventional freqs.
And someone needs to "remind" the tech that the PRO-92 had NO problem determining whether to display CTCSS/DCS data or a bank tag. I chalk this one up to LAZY PROGRAMMERS. I'd love to re-write the firmware for the entire scanner from scratch.

joebobe

They finally released it!

The bank tag issue is now fixed. RS finally released the firmware update for Pro 164 to display bank tags in non trunked banks. A really BIG thank you to the support people at GRE who actually listened. I've had the beta for this since June, but had to sign a NDA to get it. Now that its been released into the wild, I'd like to thank Jack at GRE Support for standing up for us. Glad to see everyone who has a Pro 164 will finally get to see all the bank data.

N1BHH

I don't know what your problem was, maybe you didn't enable them I had them with the Pro-97 and when that scanner crapped out and I replaced it with the Pro-164 all I did was load the last file I had into the scanner. It may be a problem with the ARC software. I have it but stopped using it when it gave my text tags the wrong characters. It recognizes quote marks as underscores.

If you enter all the information to be displayed, whether a talk group text tag or a bank text tag, it should be saved to a file before uploading to the scanner and therefore should display something, unless it hasn't received any text. The bank text tag only appears when it is scanning. I use Win97 exclusively now for both my Pro-2055 and Pro-164.

Last edited:

joebobe

This is what was fixed.

The bank text tag only appears when it is scanning.

Yes, that was my original complaint. I wanted to see it when it stops on a channel. And now, with this new firmware, it's displayed.

N1BHH

The bank text tag only displays while it is scanning, it will not display when a signal stops the scanner or you manually stop it. That is the way it was designed, and I don't see any other way to display it when you are stopped on a frequency in memory. What does display is tone information if a channel has information in it. I have never had the problem and I don't think any firmware update would cause bank text tags to appear any time other than when it is scanning.

joebobe

Scroll up....

Gmclam......v 1.08, just released.

The bank text tag only displays while it is scanning, it will not display when a signal stops the scanner or you manually stop it. That is the way it was designed, and I don't see any other way to display it when you are stopped on a frequency in memory.

Try reading a bit more of the thread for context. Also read my message that you replied to. Pay close attention to the title of that posting. Now think for a moment. What could I possibly be talking about?

joebobe

Way back when...

And what firmware version do you have that does that?

Actually, I am running a beta version 0.75. You remember we were talking about the GRE tech back in June. After more email discussion, GRE decided I had a good point, and they offered to let me test a beta of the new firmware. I had to sign a nondisclosure agreement and agree not to distribute it. If not for that I would have been in here telling you it's on the way. The PDF on the RS website that accompanies the new release is for the old v106. The correct PDF for the new version is located at:

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/2000163_Firmware108.pdf

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I am running a beta version 0.75. You remember we were talking about the GRE tech back in June. After more email discussion, GRE decided I had a good point, and they offered to let me test a beta of the new firmware. I had to sign a nondisclosure agreement and agree not to distribute it. If not for that I would have been in here telling you it's on the way. The PDF on the RS website that accompanies the new release is for the old v106. The correct PDF for the new version is located at:
I see the update for the PRO-164 on the RS web site, but I don't see any updates on the GRE website. This is essentially the same scanner as the PSR-300, so I wonder if/when that will be updated.

KB1UAM

i am not sure if this would work on yours, but i know on my pro-97 i program mine by hand. i press 0, then the func button then the text button, then i type in what ever i want to call the bank. then you go 0, then the func button again then this time press 1. and then you do the same steps for each bank, see if that works for ya, hope that helps. of course you have to keep it on manual

Last edited:

KB1UAM

i made a mistake on the last post, it should be like this
step 1 press the program button
step 2- press the func button
step 3- press, 0-9 what ever bank you want to program
step 4 press the text button, that should solve your issues

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
i made a mistake on the last post, it should be like this
step 1 press the program button
step 2- press the func button
step 3- press, 0-9 what ever bank you want to program
step 4 press the text button, that should solve your issues
ajlessjr, READ the thread. It is NOT about HOW to program bank text tags. It is about getting them to display when stopped on a conventional channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.