Pro-197 assistance

rlvdorr

Premium Subscriber
This is my first time on a thread so please bear with me. I have a pro-197 i purchased in June 2023 for $65. I am not computer literate big time. I cannot go to the radio shack sight because there isn't one. I have the firmware downloaded to my laptop but the question is ho to get it from my laptop to my scanner? I purchased a pc/ip cable from Whistler but how to move from one to the other? I'm ready to pull my hair out what little is left. So if someone could please take my hand and show me how I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Ron
rlvdorr

Last edited:

Nasby

If it’s firmware, I wouldn’t waste much time worrying about it unless the unit is bricked. The pro197 is pretty much ready to go right out of the box. Firmware updates were usually just tweaks for minor things.

But there is an easy way to do it. I can’t recall the steps but if you look in the Wiki under scanner models, there should be something there that shows how.

nanobug

Premium Subscriber
This is my first time on a thread so please bear with me. I have a pro-197 i purchased in June 2023 for $65. I am not computer literate big time. I cannot go to the radio shack sight because there isn't one. I have the firmware downloaded to my laptop but the question is ho to get it from my laptop to my scanner? I purchased a pc/ip cable from Whistler but how to move from one to the other? I'm ready to pull my hair out what little is left. So if someone could please take my hand and show me how I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Ron
rlvdorr

tvengr

Well Known Member
Press and hold 3 while turning on the scanner. It will give you the firmware versions in the scanner. uP App is the CPU firmware. The latest version is 2.1. DSP App is the Digital Signal Processing firmware. The latest version is 1.4. If you have the Whistler programming cable, you will need to download and run the CDM20830_Setup.exe cable driver installer to be able to communicate with the scanner. WS1040/WS1065 Scanner Firmware Updates and Downloads Do NOT try to use the CPUUpdater_1040_U2.9.exe updater on that site. It is for Whistler scanners and may brick your scanner. What programming software are you using?

Last edited:

N8IAA

Thanks
Ron
rlvdorr
Software is what will transfer firmware and programming to the scanner.
I use Win500 for my 197.
There is also PSRedit500 and ARC500. They are free for thirty days.
I understand how intimidating it can be:}}<smileyface.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Software is what will transfer firmware and programming to the scanner.
I have the firmware downloaded to my laptop but the question is ho to get it from my laptop to my scanner? I purchased a pc/ip cable from Whistler but how to move from one to the other? I'm ready to pull my hair out what little is left. So if someone could please take my hand and show me how I would appreciate it.
Technically, a CPU updater is software. You need to use a CPU updater app to load firmware. Programming software is used for programming the scanner only. None of the 3 software programs load firmware. It is far faster and easier to use programming software than to program the scanner manually using the scanner menus. I would stay away from Win500 programming software. The author has disappeared and some members have had problems getting the key after paying for it. ARC500 and PSREdit500 both are excellent programs. I use Butel ARC500 Basic for programming my PRO-197. What is showing on your scanner display? If you need to load firmware, you will need to install the Whistler cable driver in my previous post to be able to communicate with the scanner.