PSR-500 Quick Review after 1 week

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
captaincraig44 said:
You must have it set to LCD only. Hit Prog-GLOB then scroll to light area and select BOTH.

Hi CaptainCraig44.

Sorry..... I should have asked for confirmation in my other posting... But then you're saying that the PSR-500 DOES have keypad backlighting ?

I was going by the original poster of this thread in which he complained of no backlighting on the keypad. I don't personally have a PSR-500... BUT I WANT ONE !!!!

It made me think twice about purchasing it when I read about the backlight.

If it has backlighting for all of the keys.... GREAT ! It makes me want one for sure.

Thanks, Tim

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
DonS said:
PGM GLOB "Light Area: Both"

Hi DonS.

Thanks to all for the clarification on the backlighting.

(PS to DonS...... when I buy the PSR-500, I guarantee I'll be getting the WIN500/600 software. I can't imagine using my Pro-96 without my Win96.)

Tim

DonS

pratzert said:
(PS to DonS...... when I buy the PSR-500, I guarantee I'll be getting the WIN500/600 software. I can't imagine using my Pro-96 without my Win96.)
<ShamelessPlug>
Personally, I can't imagine using my PSR-600 without Win500. I'm posting this from my laptop in the garage, connected to the 'net via an AT&T cellular card (I can't find the 802.11 card, and there's no Ethernet drop in the garage).

I'm remotely monitoring/controlling my '600 over the same link.
</ShamelessPlug>

Sownman

DonS said:
<ShamelessPlug>
Personally, I can't imagine using my PSR-600 without Win500. I'm posting this from my laptop in the garage, connected to the 'net via an AT&T cellular card (I can't find the 802.11 card, and there's no Ethernet drop in the garage).

I'm remotely monitoring/controlling my '600 over the same link.
</ShamelessPlug>

<praise>I saw someone else mention to the effect that Don has made a bunch of us clueless guys look like experts. Very true. I bought the radio because I thought it was probably the better choice for digital handheld. The real deciding factor was the software from Don. The fact that I could import my Pro97 file into Win500 and be up a running in minutes was the clincher in radio choice.

Steve </praise>

kikito

Premium Subscriber
pratzert said:
I was going by the original poster of this thread in which he complained of no backlighting on the keypad.

And there you have MY MAIN reason for detailed rebuttals of the OP's "review". And also confirms one of the many concerns that were addressed by me and others by now.

It's kind of good AND bad that this thread and the "review" got linked to the wiki for this scanner. Hopefully people will read the whole thread and the corrections to the review.

Maybe it's time to close the thread, so people don't have to wade through so many posts missing the most useful stuff that has already been discussed several times and going off-topic by now....

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
JETorres is so correct, im to old and dumb to operate this computer and use "software" so i program the scanner by hand and read over and over the manual...In my dumb way this is good because now i know all the fantastic features about this GRE500, man what a neat scanner....I get upset with people ripping others here about asking the simplist questions about a new scanner but most answers are in the manual...."My Bad"....

kikito

Premium Subscriber
RoninJoliet said:
I get upset with people ripping others here about asking the simplist questions about a new scanner but most answers are in the manual...."My Bad"....

Or in some cases (like recently), the answers to some questions are a few posts earlier within the same thread before someone asked them again! Either way, the common denominator is the need to read..... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.