PSR-800 & Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesa53

I think all of us should have an old XP machine that we use only for radio programming (I do). And most of all it has to have a serial port on it. LOL. Because Pro83Mgr doesnt run even on Vista. LOL.

zzdiesel

After getting a hint from GRE and doing some more looking into this I wrote down how I got Windows 8 to work with the PSR 800 driver for updates. I am not sure if this is called compatibility mode or not but the following worked for me. I could not find that this had been posted anywhere so I thought that I would add it. I hope this helps someone.

Windows 8 installation of unsigned driver for GRE PSR800

1-Copy .inf file from the PSR800 CD to a folder on your computer
2-When you are signed in to Windows 8 as Administrator connect the PSR 800. It will then attempt to load the driver and appear to succeed but the driver will not be working at that point.
3-Load the Charms Bar by pointing the mouse at the upper right hand corner of the screen.
4-Select Power and hit restart while holding down the Shift key.
5-A selection of Troubleshooting options will come up, select the Troubleshoot option
6-Another page will appear, select Advanced Options.
7-The next page will display several repair options, Select the Startup Settings to change the behavior of Windows Startup and then click restart on the next page.
8- A menu with 9 selections will appear. Select #7 or F7 to disable Driver Signature enforcement.
9 Windows 8 will restart.
10-With the PSR 800 still connected open Device Manager from the Control Panel. Select the Com port assigned to the PSR 800 and select Update Driver.
11-Select Browse and point it to the folder in which you copied the .inf file from the PSR 800 CD.
12-Install this Driver. An alert screen will pop up to warn you that this is an unsigned driver, Select install anyway. This will load the unsigned driver and allow it to work with EZScan
13-Check to see if it is working by Starting EZScan and selecting Scanner SD Card and select to set the Real Time Clock to Computer time. If it does it successfully you are good to go.
Thanks Morseman. This cured my Win 8 issues.

dxradio2003

Win 8 solution

Hi,

You fix did the trick. Thank You!!

I found out that I didn't have to copy the inf file and everything still worked great. Perfect.

---dxradio

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Bada Bing! Finally I have a working scanner with windows 8 now! Thanks. GRE actually led me to this thread so kudos to them as well

S0man

Unfortunately, I can't locate my CD in order to accomplish this fix. Can someone forward me the .inf file. I would greatly appreciate it.

dxradio2003

inf file

Thank you, Morseman for your tips on the solving the windows 8 driver issue. I used your advice to install the driver on my Windows 8 machine, however, developed a problem when using the same tips for my upgraded Windows 8.1 computer.

I could never locate the inf file in the original GRE program. Finally, someone suggested using a free program called 7-Zip to unzip the program. I could then locate the inf file and placed it on my desktop. Now when following your excellent suggestions, I loaded the inf file at the appropriate time and everything works GREAT!

Thanks again,

---dxradio

Magwolf57

Can you show me how you did this. The Software works fine in my W8 but when I try to upload the CPU firmware update it says it cannot find any ports. Can you help with this? Thanks,

Magwolf57

Does not find the .ini file

Thanks Morseman. This cured my Win 8 issues.

I followed the instructions, but when I hit find the driver in my desktop, while ven though it is there staring right at me, it says windows could not find the driver software for your device.
Can you help with this.

wwiii

I know that this is an old post but it saved me today. I spend two hours trying to get my new scanner to work. Thanks......

After getting a hint from GRE and doing some more looking into this I wrote down how I got Windows 8 to work with the PSR 800 driver for updates. I am not sure if this is called compatibility mode or not but the following worked for me. I could not find that this had been posted anywhere so I thought that I would add it. I hope this helps someone.

Windows 8 installation of unsigned driver for GRE PSR800

1-Copy .inf file from the PSR800 CD to a folder on your computer
2-When you are signed in to Windows 8 as Administrator connect the PSR 800. It will then attempt to load the driver and appear to succeed but the driver will not be working at that point.
3-Load the Charms Bar by pointing the mouse at the upper right hand corner of the screen.
4-Select Power and hit restart while holding down the Shift key.
5-A selection of Troubleshooting options will come up, select the Troubleshoot option
6-Another page will appear, select Advanced Options.
7-The next page will display several repair options, Select the Startup Settings to change the behavior of Windows Startup and then click restart on the next page.
8- A menu with 9 selections will appear. Select #7 or F7 to disable Driver Signature enforcement.
9 Windows 8 will restart.
10-With the PSR 800 still connected open Device Manager from the Control Panel. Select the Com port assigned to the PSR 800 and select Update Driver.
11-Select Browse and point it to the folder in which you copied the .inf file from the PSR 800 CD.
12-Install this Driver. An alert screen will pop up to warn you that this is an unsigned driver, Select install anyway. This will load the unsigned driver and allow it to work with EZScan
13-Check to see if it is working by Starting EZScan and selecting Scanner SD Card and select to set the Real Time Clock to Computer time. If it does it successfully you are good to go.

MNN198

Premium Subscriber
Quick update.
If you are going to disable drive signature enforcement on Windows 8 .1 will ask you for your Bitlocker recovery key. You can access it from your windows account unless you have a hard copy of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.