Question about clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel_Boone

Banned due to duplicate accounts
Banned
Now I have a question and I am not quite sure which place it should be posted, so I will post it here and ask you what you would do.

To introduce myself would be pretty tough because I have had a lot of different occupations and I have worn a lot of hats and I have done a lot of different things in my life and I have gone a lot of different places and I have a lot of different experiences. I am a high school graduate - and I graduated in the middle of my class.
There was 365 students in my high school class.
I took just about every shop class they had and I graduated with a lot more credits (28) then I really needed. (21)
I also did a year and a half of college - to be a school teacher and 7 months of trade school to be a machinist

One of the classes that I took was called Power Technologies, which was run by a old codger that died that was a Ham radio operator. His electronics 101 class was about 60% theory and 40% hands on.
They had these old wooden kits that had bread board circuitry with wire jumpers and you would build stuff and he would check it with a pen that would play a local AM radio station if it completed a circuit.
It was a real cool way to look at a circuit without having to go through the jumper’s one at a time.

They had a radio club, which I was not picked to be a member and at that time, if you learned to Key Morse code - you could get your basic radio operators license.
I always had a little animosity towards those people because they did not pick me, even though I had more experience both running a CB outfit since I was about 5 or 6 and theory and general knowledge - since I had relatives that used radio communications as a hobby including my dad which built his own radios from kits and stuff.

Now I had a cousin, who married a guy who was something of a jerk.
He was also into CB radios and was always trying to beg my dad's CB off him, because his CB was of a type that would have made a good short wave radio - which I came to find out that one of my radios was actually made into a Ham after I lent it to a guy and he never gave it back.

So like most people I got out of the communications stuff and into girls, cars, trucks, loud stereos, big tires, race cars - all the normal things that people in my area of the country gets into.

So anyways, after working the internet for 10 years, I got the notion to get back into two way communications - Ham radio, since there is no one in my area that still talks on the CB radio.
Believe me; it is like a ghost town on the CB right now.

So I decided to get my general license and join a club.
I contacted a local club that was dying for new members and I went to a outing.

Who was the first person that I ran into? My X cousin's husband.
Now immediately - just because he is a jerk and just because he was jilted by his wife - my cousin 15 years ago, he decided that I was not club material. And, he went so far as to start acting like a idiot in front of all of the other club members. Saying stupid stuff like that you need a power supply, you need a radio, you need a license, don't get caught using the radio without a license and stupid stuff like that.

The funny thing is - he has not seen me but twice in the last 20 years and both of those times it was at funerals. Both his X wife's and his X father in laws. Now at one time, we were even good hunting buddies and although you couldn't trust him and he would jump off the handle like Dr Jeckel and Mr Hyde - he wasn't really a bad guy - just a jerk.

So they had set up for a Ham Fest and the younger guys went to work the FM and the Internet repeater stuff and the old guys stayed in the cold shack and worked the 20 Meters.
Now I guess when you get up into your 70's and 80's and have done it as long as these guys have been doing it - you get to the point of where you don't really care anymore.
One guy really did work his butt off for about 2 hours, calling out CQ's while I wrote down the call letters and the names and the locations and the remarks for the signals we received.
Florida was actually booming in - because of the direction they had their beam antenna pointed in.

The younger guys, mainly came to eat, which they did on a regular basis, walking through the shack, talking so loud that you couldn't hear the little dinky speaker on the ICOM radio and leaving the doors open - which left all the heat out of the room. It was about 24* outside.

So the other guys, working 3 or so radios got about 140 calls - working the FM, which in my opinion is a lot easier when you don't have to listen to the static and stuff.

On the other hand, our group only got about 35 messages, but they were from all over the place.
Puerto Rico, Florida, all parts of Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Tennessee, Wisconsin and Minnesota off the sides of the beam.
Then the one older gentleman had to go home and no one wanted to work the radio anymore.
Someone got the bright idea to let me talk and they would write down the information.
Now I have not talked on any radio for about 30 years and I have not talked on the Ham radio for about 32 years and I was a little rusty. But something just seemed right. I think when the younger crowd heard me on the radio and I wasn't all business, they got to the point of where they were waiting in line to talk and we had a steady stream of customers. I think I ended up with about 60 more contacts in 3 hours.

Well the President of the club came into the club house and saw me on the radio and got mad and told them to shut it down, that the Hamfest was over.
The information I wrote down, I had a scratch copy on the back of some paper - which the letters were wrote bigger then on the form and all the information was there in case you couldn't read something, but he just threw it in the garbage.

That made me think that maybe my X cousins husband might have said something to the President and maybe they don't want me for a member.

Now I don't really need to be a member of any club in order for me to get my license or to set up a radio station in my house. I have plenty of other people, with 50 or more years of experience that I can lean on if I have a question. But it kind of made me feel bad when I went home - because I felt like I was intruding or something or that I really did something wrong here.
I just wonder if maybe this is the reason why the population of Ham Radio Operators is getting smaller and smaller and the age group of Ham Radio Operators is getting older and older.
I'm also wondering - since I am new here - how much longer it will survive if other people has been shunned and turned away or treated like this by some members of the community.

Maybe something that I have wrote here will strike a cord with some of the Ham Radio fraternity and maybe someone will speak up and tell me what I did wrong or if I should just walk away from this one.

Last edited:

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Daniel B. I agree. Walk away. If there is another club in your area, try that one. We have a guy here that is the repeater/VHF/UHF police if you know what I mean. Don't bend the rules or he will admonish you on the air. He is an older ham. Most of the hams here just ignore him, but he seems to like telling me and my retired buddies we are doing wrong. He does not mess with anyone else. Just us???

KJ4ZZP

Check into another club for sure. All the guys I have talked to in person in my neck of the woods are great as well as the contact I have made on the air. You will find the occasional prick but thats goes with anything you do in life. Most hams you will find are a wealth of knowledge and will go out of there way to help you learn. It can be a tight community but it is one that you will fit into. Hams are everyday people....

Daniel_Boone

Banned
Thanks guys

30 - 40 years ago, a person with a CB license could get on the air, say breaker breaker, and if they were lucky could talk to as many people as they wanted to.
At some point the buddy buddy clubs came along where people thought they owned that channel and they set up their own little clique's and either you were in or you were out.
I never really got into that.

When I talked to people about buying a HAM radio when I was younger, - the ham people all got defensive and made it sound as if - you couldn't even legally buy a HAM radio until you first got your license.
It wasn't as if I wanted to broadcast with it , just listen to it. Be it just a monitor or a two way radio..
I had a old Knight Kit Star Roamer - which was a pretty good radio for what it was.
The one bad thing about it other then tubes was the fact that you had to have a pretty good antenna to get it to listen to something besides local transmissions.
But the HAM people I knew were so snobbish, they made it sound as if it was a fraternity - where if you didn't belong - you couldn't own anything or participate - even if you did have a license.
To have someone - especially someone who was a relative of mine - who I thought was my friend bring it up again, opening sore wounds from the past - almost made me not want to join a club or want to be a HAM radio operator or get into the hobby.

I just don't think it has to be that way...
I recon some people just studies for their test on their own and takes the test and passes it and goes out and buys what they think they need to get started .

Some people ends up spending either a pile of money on stuff they really didn't need - to where it gets to the point of where it gets to expensive to maintain.
Or they get to the point of where they buy a bunch of junk and it either gets too expensive to maintain the radio or it doesn't perform well and they forget about it and just do something else.

I would be just as proud using a old boat anchor tube type radio and a long wire antenna and a 50' crank up mast in my yard and maybe setting up the radio in my spare room or basement or out in my garage and just having fun.

I get a real kick out of DX and talking to people far away more as much as I would just talking to the same bunch of people in a club every night.

I have been DXing television for about 3 years and I took it about as far as I could go .....
I Got some really good DX signals before they shut off all the analog television transmitters a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

elk2370bruce

There are a great many clubs. Most are super people who are eager to help a newbie (licensed or not). it is unfortunate that you found what I call a "closed circle" (and they do exist) and I would agree that you walk away. If asked, tell them the truth why. Won't help you but they just might learn something. Check out the arrl.org website. you will find on their menu a mechanism to identify area ham clubs. Maybe I've been lucky coming back into the hobby after four decades. The two repeaters I tried when I was first licensed were full of nice, patient, and helpful people that talk to all of the time. Hang in there! Amateur radio is a great hobby and I'm never sorry I got back into it.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...Maybe something that I have wrote here will strike a cord with some of the Ham Radio fraternity and maybe someone will speak up and tell me what I did wrong or if I should just walk away from this one.

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, so I wouldn't worry about it. Find another club, don't say anything to anybody about your cousin's X, and move on. There are a lot of really neat people in ham radio, and a handful of jerks. Frequently the jerks tend to hang out together, so maybe you just found the local nest where they breed.

If there are no other clubs nearby, get licensed anyway, and enjoy HF.

And if that particular club is dying, now you know the reason why. Let it die. The hobby will go along just fine without them.

stevelton

Heres a long term idea.

Get into ham radio, and have some fun. In talking with other people about your hobby (but dont even mention the other club), try to get other people interested in radio. As they develop their interest, with your help, start a small circle, a round robin group if you will.

Then your group will act like a magnant for other nice people with interest in radio, and a new club will form naturally.

Steven KC9GMX

Daniel_Boone

Banned
Thanks Steve, and I look forward to talking to nice people like you all when I get my license and my tower erected and my antenna built.
I can't wait until the day when I can listen to the radio and hear about global events while it is happening - just like what is happening over seas right now.
It's got to be pretty exciting to be able to exchange opinions and views with people from all over the world.

You don't know how lucky you are.

Where I live, there is only a couple of occupations - which everyone works in and their minds are mostly closed and most of the people where I live are into drugs and alcohol and they quite literally drink themselves to death. I have never fit in with those people - because I have too much life to live to want to squander my life on good times like they do.

I feel that radio and the internet opens a window to the rest of the world, which most people doesn't ever get to see or experience because they are so caught up with their petty little lives where all they do is go to work and go home and drink and have sex and sleep and watch television.
I love television - don't get my wrong, but lately the boob tube has insulted my intelligence and the reality based television programs which are cheaper to produce has all turned to fighting and stupid stuff which isn't even entertaining anymore.
There has got to be more to life then American Chopper, Pickers and Pawn Stars....

KC0KM

I know I had somewhat similar feelings about my club a several years ago. I had attended Field Day (whatever year it was), and had been interested in getting into amateur radio. When asked, they simply told me to go down to (at that time) Radio Shack, and get the book Now You're Talking (same as the ARRL Tech book). They told me to study it, and come down and take the test. Well, I got the book, started to read it, and it was as clear as mud. After awhile I simply gave up. I felt like I had gotten the cold shoulder, and for a long time had a bitter taste in my mouth about the club, as if they really did not want me -- or others -- in the club. Years later, in 2009, after going to a NOAA spotters class, I found about Tech classes, signed up and took it. I passed the test, and later got my call. My father and I knew another ham, who was a member of the club, and we stopped by and I told him my call. He gave me a application to the club, and invited us to "Ice Cream Net" (our club gets together at the local Dairy Queen ever Saturday night at 8 PM). I met the others, and slowly got to know them. A few weeks later, I attended a club meeting, and was accepted. After I got to know them, they seemed to be okay. But, as the others have said, sometimes you simply just to have to find you are most welcome.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Walk away and stay away from clubs...unless your "social butterflies" are lonely.
But then, I don't like clubs so it's up to you. :roll:

n9zas

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Walk away and stay away from clubs...unless your "social butterflies" are lonely.
But then, I don't like clubs so it's up to you. :roll:

Well, based on some previous posts you made, I figure you're just anti-social, so clubs would have no appeal.

To the OP, there ARE some really excellent clubs out there. They're not all oriented about old men talking about their gall bladder operations. I find the clubs that have a specific technical orientation to be the best of the best.

Just don't let the cranks scare you away.

k8krh

clubs/licenses

I ran into a local club just like you but had my license for 20 plus years, I won't describe them, but 2 meetings and one field day<after an hour>, we departed..
I dont know if you have an license or not, but it is fairly simple, got to qrz.com for study material or ham test on line, study for a weekend 10-12 hours and take the exam, but not at that club, find another club or testing area, you can find it on the internet usually.

Yes cb is not as active, and has a lot of high power stations on anymore and a lot of jerks.

Anyhow, get the license and enjoy it...

DOCTOR/795

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
I agree walk away! I am a general class licensee, but got my tech last April. I have been a member of the local ham club here for a while. Good group of guys that run 2 local repeaters and are willing to help out as elmers. I am probably the youngest person in the club, but we are getting new hams all the time here, in fact there is a 14 yr old girl who got her extra last month. Anyhow, being in a club is not required, but most people do it for friendship with local hams, and the fee is used to keep up repeaters. It is up to you though, because some repeaters are owned by individuals who just love to hear the repeater being used.

I read about "repeater police", this is common on club repeaters, as trustees feel they own the repeaters and are quick to critique others on their radio ettiquite. I just ignore these people if they are in a mood and go to another repeater. If they try to do this on another repeater than a clubs, I tell em to shove it because they don't own the repeater.

Bottom line is this, get your license! You will enjoy it. Just like cb, there are good & bad people but good outweighs the bad. You will meet good people, and you can be an invaluable asset to your community in an emergency & during severe weather.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well, based on some previous posts you made, I figure you're just anti-social, so clubs would have no appeal.

To the OP, there ARE some really excellent clubs out there. They're not all oriented about old men talking about their gall bladder operations. I find the clubs that have a specific technical orientation to be the best of the best.

Just don't let the cranks scare you away.

You're right,I am somewhat anti-social! :twisted:

n9zas

Daniel_Boone

Banned
I found another club when the All Star network came online.
I made some contacts with the people who were running the net.
I ended up getting hornswaggled into going to one of their club meetings today.
I'm a big Nascar fan, used to live and work in Mooresville NC...
Ended up finding out last night around 11 PM that I was going to take my test today.
I got to take the test for free and I got free licenses for life - you can't beat that!
I ended up passing the first one ( Technician?) - by the skin of my teeth and I missed the second one by 4 questions.
Not bad for maybe a week to read the first book / while I was sick, and a couple of hours of taking the online tests.
The one rip off was that I was not studying all that was on the test - because the online test kept going over the same questions over and over again and those questions were not on the test.

So now I have a couple of weeks before the next official test date.

I ran into a guy a little younger then I was and he invited me to their club / another town, because he heard me operating the radio for the other club a couple of weeks ago and said I had the gift of gab and that they needed someone to run one of their radios for them at their event next weekend.

So you win some and you loose some.

I guess you can't hold something against a whole club - just because of a couple of jerks.

I did a big trip this week with the a guy that was the president of the first club I went to / about 10 hours in the truck with him and all he wanted to do was talk about computers.
He never even showed me his radios and he never even turned his radios on.
Being a rookie and wanting to know about the radio side of things and not too interested in computers - ( I see them all day long, and not too interested in web sites - I look at them all day long ) - he wasn't much help.

I have big / important questions to ask and no one to ask them to.
Its like - how much should a person spend on a dual band radio and which radio works best for what I want to do - base station and which antenna should I buy and stuff like that.

I don't understand about All Star and Echo Link and how it works and if it has to be connected to the computer in order for it to work or if that is just an option and what good it does you to be able to connect to the computer. I guess it allows you to pick and choose which nodes to connect to and to be able to have more control over where you can talk and to be able to see where the other person is from and maybe even their call sign on line.

I'm not rich and I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on something that might be obsolete in a year or two. Technology has a way of doing that - like I said, I'm around computers all day long...

Any advice you give me, I will take with a grain of salt.
But my ears are open and my mouth is closed - back to you guys....
73's

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on pasing the test!!!! Daniel. I run a Kenwood V71 A as my main house radio. I like it. Price is around 350 bucks. My antenna is a Diamond X 200A. It is also dual band. I have it at about 25 feet in the air. Here on the coast, it's really flat so the signals travel farther. If the run of coax is more than about 25 feet to the antenna, use good coax. My run is 73 feet. I use LMR 400. Little over kill on my part, but you get a lot of loss with the small stuff. That's what I use here, but I am sure there are folks that have other recommendations as well.

Daniel_Boone

Banned
I asked some of the experts from the second club - that I attended a meeting at and asked them if they would refer me to the best possible radio for the money for my application.
Well - they are setting up the All Star network right now and they have their hands full and I think that all my questions back and forth must have upset them - via email, because now they are kind of bad mouthing me over the radio and they won't respond anymore to a email - so I guess I am on my own with this one.
I went to a radio expert friend of mine who has been in the communications business and asked him for advice as per a good starter antenna for dual band.
He ordered me one - at his cost and it is on it's way.

The radio I think would make a good radio would be the Yaesu FTX 350r..
They have one that is echo link ready - all you have to do is hook it up and program in some frequencies I think.
I'm not real savvy with these dual band radios - my expertise is more limited to single band service radios and GMRS and CB's.
But my big question is - will I need to have two antenna's on my roof to run the dual bands"
From the spec's I read - you have to have two antenna's and if you want the GPS option - which I think is a waste - from my perspective = since it shows everyone else where you are - I'm not gonna throw a bunch of money at this right now.
For all I know - I could spend the money on the radio and the so called experts could shut off the repeaters and I might end up talking to myself....
I'm not real sure that having one man with his finger on the button - is a good thing for this 2 meter stuff.
It's like working for a company that is owned by one man - all you have to do is not get along with that one person and you don't have a job anymore.

I am almost close enough to being able to pass my general exam - I have passed the online quiz twice so far tonight with almost 30 out of 35 answers.
The hardest part for me is remembering what reluctance and stuff is and the math.
Parts of the radio and how they work is also a minus for me right now.

If anyone has any experience with these two band radios and antenna's - PLEASE feel free to give me some real advice here - before I spend a lot of money on stuff I might not need!

Status
Not open for further replies.