Question re: Old LAPD VHF HiBand...

kk6rq

Just for my own nostalgia, I'm curious about how they portrayed LAPD radio on Adam-12 (been binging it for the last week); Whenever anything came over their Motracs, you hear a distinct *kxxxxk!* squelch crash. I'm assuming that's just Hollywood BS added for effect, right? As I recall, those old PL reeds worked even better than modern radios. All LA old timers report; over.

Thanks
Bob

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I'm assuming that's just Hollywood BS added for effect, right?
Jack Webb was very particular about accuracy in his productions (Dragnet, Adam-12 and Emergency). I recall the radio audio sounding authentic. The show even used a real LAPD dispatcher to provide the audio:

kk6rq

Mic off-hook puts the radio in carrier squelch mode, so reverse-burst is ineffective?
Yeah, I'm aware of that (my particular expertise is tricking non-Moto radios to follow Moto's specific reverse burst phase angle); I'm just trying to find out if the Adam-12 writers were pulling our chain. That's squelch crash on screen happened regardless of where Kent McCord had his hands...

Eng74

All the radio traffic was done by a sound team after the shooting. He is just doing his lines into a radio that is off and probably not even hooked to anything. They add all the dispatch and other traffic in post production.

kk6rq

Ah yes.. it is the squelch crashes in that post production audio that I'm referring to... as in, what on Earth was in their reasoning for adding that? Like, if they didn't add it, maybe people might think there was a woman hiding in the back seat...?