R.I.P. Icom R75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

Well, the R75 is back and has received most of the radio time tonight ... well, after the storms passed through central Ohio. Nice to have the hole on the table top filled. The most noticeable improvement is in the audio. I remember thinking the first thing I had to do with my original R75 was to get an external speaker. No such urgency at the moment. Whether that is due to Craig's audio mod or not, I'm not sure. But the radio sounds good right now. :) The synch deterctor works as I believe all of them "should" and I didn't have it long enough prior to sending it off to Kiwa to note any glaring issue. He did have to recap the DC to DC converter in order to do the RF AGC mod.

Is it a better radio than what I sent off to Kiwa? I don't know if I will be able to answer that. But I can say it's doing a very good job at the moment.

Overall, I'm happy with what I'm hearing. View attachment 84817
Great news! You WILL start seeing differences and as time goes by I hope you'll note them here:)
I wonder if Craig would work on my R71A and get it running again. Could you shoot me his info in a PM?
BTW your station looks great-very tidy and professional.

ra7850

Great news! You WILL start seeing differences and as time goes by I hope you'll note them here:)
I wonder if Craig would work on my R71A and get it running again. Could you shoot me his info in a PM?

Me too, I have IC-R7100, that needs some repairs.

ra7850

Craig worked on my 1991 Sony 2010 a couple of years ago. No major mods, just swapped one of the filters and a bit of TLC work. Got the FedEx shipment notification earlier today and it should be returned here on Thursday. I'd have no issue with using him, and Mike Alexander at Affordable Radio Repair again. Both are class acts.

--
Mike

Can you PM me the contact information for Mike Alexander at Affordable Radio Repair?

Thanks
Robert

a29zuk

Woohoo! My "new-to-me" R75 ships from Kiwa today. Thinking it should arrive Thursday or Friday at the latest. Looking forward to getting it on the table. Now, if conditions will only improve and the local QRM would go away, all would be right with the (SWL) world. :)

--
Mike

Congrats on your new modded receiver. Hope it gives you many hours of enjoyment!

Jim

GB46

Kiwa filters are often mentioned in connection with R75 mods. The last time I had the lid off mine, I noticed the Kiwa label on one of the filters -- can't remember which one it was offhand. Since I've never had any work done on my R75 since I bought it from Radio World in Toronto back in 1998, I'm wondering if the radio had actually been pre-owned, modified and then sent back to the dealer before I bought it supposedly brand-new.

ra7850

Ridgescan,

Can you share your contact information for Craig? I have IC-R7100, that needs some repairs. I have been trying to locate someone who works on them but have been unsuccessful so far.

Thanks,
Robert

ridgescan

Ridgescan,

Can you share your contact information for Craig? I have IC-R7100, that needs some repairs. I have been trying to locate someone who works on them but have been unsuccessful so far.

Thanks,
Robert
PMd you mbott's info he gave me-thank you mbott. Unfortunately even Icom won't touch our rigs anymore which makes it quite the dilemma for we who hold the most iconic of Icom's receivers.

GB46

Unfortunately even Icom won't touch our rigs anymore which makes it quite the dilemma for we who hold the most iconic of Icom's receivers.
Well, I guess they'll service them if you're willing to pay a lot of money. Icom Canada was going to charge me $50 just to put my R75 on the bench, and I'd have had to cover the considerable expense of shipping it in both directions myself. I'm glad I never went through with it, because as it turned out, there was nothing actually wrong with the receiver (it's been working like new for 4 months now), so they would have earned at least 50 bucks for doing practically nothing.

ridgescan

Well, I guess they'll service them if you're willing to pay a lot of money. Icom Canada was going to charge me $50 just to put my R75 on the bench, and I'd have had to cover the considerable expense of shipping it in both directions myself. I'm glad I never went through with it, because as it turned out, there was nothing actually wrong with the receiver (it's been working like new for 4 months now), so they would have earned at least 50 bucks for doing practically nothing.
A couple years ago I actually called Icom and they refused to work on the R71a:(

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately even Icom won't touch our rigs anymore which makes it quite the dilemma for we who hold the most iconic of Icom's receivers.

The opportunity to pick up a R71A is what initially led me to sell my first R75. Just did not have the room on the tabletop for both. Resolved that with a auxiliary shelf top giving me additional space.

--
Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Nice to see the R75 in the centre position! :)
Seemed the logical spot for the unit with the smallest speaker. :) I've even removed the laptop from the table as it's going into to address an issue I can't resolve. I like having that extra space for me. When it returns, it will be on a smaller table to the left of the paymaster's table.

--
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.