R30 R30 - In 2020, what do you listen to the most with it?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Been almost a year since this thread started. I did buy a IC 705 but sold it recently. Did get a SDS 200 a few months back for police/fire listening. So now my R30 will be my main HF and air band radio. Anything new you R30 owners have done anything different lately like new antenna, etc? I did buy the Icom software after a bad experience with a different software for the R30. Works great once you get the hang of it. Do have a discone I’m contemplating switching out for a OmniX or the milOmni. Anyone try any new antennas that work better than the stock antenna that comes with the radio?

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I recently acquired an original Miracle Antenna after a long time searching and waiting on eBay. It does an amazing job of pulling HF signals out of the mud. For example, VOLMET 3.485 USB on the stock antenna...I know it's there and can sort of hear the words. With the Miracle Antenna...the S meter goes full strength and I can clearly hear every word.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I also use the Miracle Ducker IL as a preselector for HF. It does the job well. I previously used it with a Yaesu VR-500 which is wide open due to its coverage. A specific filter is best for a known problem, but that passive preselector helps. Test it with an SDR and see how you like it.

I use my R30 on various frequencies, but mil air mostly including the mil air freqs outside 225-400.

I recently acquired an original Miracle Antenna after a long time searching and waiting on eBay. It does an amazing job of pulling HF signals out of the mud. For example, VOLMET 3.485 USB on the stock antenna...I know it's there and can sort of hear the words. With the Miracle Antenna...the S meter goes full strength and I can clearly hear every word.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of Mil Air, for those who have allot of activity on Mil Air, could you compare VFO A and VFO B on same active frequency? When I contacted Icom about the selection issue posted in another thread, there response was since VFO B is not as wide as VFO A, VFO B will be more sensitive. I don't have much for Mil Air in my area unless they are flying by but hope to try it anyways.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I also use the Miracle Ducker IL as a preselector for HF. It does the job well. I previously used it with a Yaesu VR-500 which is wide open due to its coverage. A specific filter is best for a known problem, but that passive preselector helps. Test it with an SDR and see how you like it.

I use my R30 on various frequencies, but mil air mostly including the mil air freqs outside 225-400.

What's inside of the Miracle Ducker IL?
I could not find much info about the thing other than a few good reviews at eHam.
It appears it had a pretty wide frequency range.

eorange

What's inside of the Miracle Ducker IL?
I could not find much info about the thing other than a few good reviews at eHam.
It appears it had a pretty wide frequency range.
The IL has a detachable antenna and a BNC connector instead of a PL-259, compared to the original Miracle Antenna.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Would like to see how your running cable to this type of antenna. Am assuming small cable from radio to Miracle antenna. Is the miracle antenna free floating in your hand? Would appreciate any pictures you could post.

eorange

Would like to see how your running cable to this type of antenna. Am assuming small cable from radio to Miracle antenna. Is the miracle antenna free floating in your hand? Would appreciate any pictures you could post.
I didn't want to use a cable mainly because there's no way the antenna could stand up by itself and I wanted to avoid any variations in capacitance if I held it. So I used a SO-239 to SMA adapter. They both lie flat and the rectangular base of the antenna keeps it stable.PXL_20210405_223832842.jpg

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The IL has a detachable antenna and a BNC connector instead of a PL-259, compared to the original Miracle Antenna.
Wow what for your reaction? It was an honest question.

I'm talking about the tuning box. It obviously has some components in it like a variable cap and what not. That's what I'm asking about, the components inside that tuning box.
I could care less about the antenna connector or connector to the radio or whatever one uses for the physical antenna element.
I'm just looking for info on what the box with the control contains. There's not a lot of info on this thing.

Edit: Never mind, I found an internal picture of one online which is exactly what I was looking for. Your WOW reaction was uncalled for.

Last edited:

eorange

Ever try hooking it up to a outdoor antenna like a wire? Got a link we’re to buy?
I have, but like every HF handheld it gets easily overloaded. Unfortunately the Miracle Antenna and its variants are no longer manufactured, so buying them used is the only option. There's a lot of cheap versions on eBay that look the same but I would bet it's nowhere near the build quality and performance as the original.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Here is the internal with top side up of the Miracle Ducker IL. Mine was/is having issues with the outer shield making a solid connection. In the red circle there is only a sturdy solid soldered wire on the board that was never soldered to the outside nut of the BNC connector. I'm not sure why they didn't use a shield solder point washer on the bottom like they did at the top. There is enough flexibility on the board from the BNC connections that it was not always touching at the bottom, let alone not even soldered. I just took mine apart and I'm rigging up a secure yet flexible solution.

It is a compact solution. I occasionally connect it direct to a receiver, but mostly use a BNC patch cable.
DuckerIL.jpg

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Here is the internal with top side up of the Miracle Ducker IL. Mine was/is having issues with the outer shield making a solid connection. In the red circle there is only a sturdy solid soldered wire on the board that was never soldered to the outside nut of the BNC connector. I'm not sure why they didn't use a shield solder point washer on the bottom like they did at the top. There is enough flexibility on the board from the BNC connections that it was not always touching at the bottom, let alone not even soldered. I just took mine apart and I'm rigging up a secure yet flexible solution.

It is a compact solution. I occasionally connect it direct to a receiver, but mostly use a BNC patch cable.

Thanks for the info and pic.
I was looking at possibly building something similar to also use as a preselector like you are doing but building a multi-tapped transformer on a wafer type switch is getting beyond my old age capabilities. It is an interesting design. I've only heard of these things but never researched them.

That poor connection your pointed out is odd. I agree they should have used something with a solder point like the upper jack. Possibly an oversight or they couldn't find a male BNC chassis mount that would accept a solder point washer.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@kruser The connection is odd. I ended up using a ring adapter on the bottom with a bit of stranded wire for the shield connection. I had to discombobulate the whole Amphenol BNC chassis mount to do it. They also used some hot glue to hold the center pin wire. It's a bit of an odd connector choice. While it is working much better, a forced wiggle with make it intermittently wonky. I need to order something else from RF Parts, so I'll double check the hole size and order a better BNC chassis mount solution. The center pin would be the culprit this time. I believe I paid $80 five years ago or more. It was used at the time.

I am in no mood to build my own preselector either. I had the other Ducker ML version with the 259 connector, but sold it as I never used it. I have observed preselector builds online, but the sizes are larger.

Anyways, after that fix I had no problem dialing up Rádio Nacional on 11.780 MHz or WWV on 10 or 5 MHz. I used the preselector and a Diamond RH77CA whip inside the house.

eorange

Sometime soon I'll post recordings of HF USB using the stock antenna vs the preselector.