• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio Shack TRC-485

SmileySixguns

My birthday is fast approaching so I decided to get myself this radio that I found on eBay. The seller said it worked but they didn’t know anything about it. It had the original mic and mounting bracket with it. The power cord simply ends at some bare wires. Just for listening purposes, I crimped on some eyes and sat the boat battery in the back seat of the truck so I could connect to the antenna in the truck. I powered it up and all the features seem to be functioning. I was able to listen around on sideband and heard a guy talking in Missouri (I’m in Georgia). The power cord doesn’t have a fuse in it yet, so I was hesitant to do much transmitting. I only transmitted a couple times very briefly to see that it functioned. It all seems to be working. It’s pretty compact in size, so it can work as a base or mobile unit.

Attachments

• IMG_2214.jpeg
    IMG_2214.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 33

slowmover

About like this:

Except that the Q5/QT60 is miles ahead in performance with both brand-new.

By the time ones bought an antique, paid someone else to re-cap, align & tune plus whatever else is needed after two-way shipping — a quite old radio with lesser performance isn’t a bargain. (Didn’t say you bought it with this angle foremost).

I own a few old ones out of sentiment. Put to work where TX/RX performance doesn’t matter much. Put to pasture.

One is able to do his own radio work (with test equipment) to get realistic performance.

The two supporting systems matter more, granted.

Maybe yours performs well (here's hoping).

SmileySixguns

Oh yeah, those look like really good radios. I’m hoping to use this one primarily as a mostly base unit, and sometimes mobile, primarily among friends and family. I know talking skip is kinda popular, but for the most part I don’t need to chat with anyone further than about 25 miles away. The fun part will be exploring every dirt road in the local counties to see where it works and where it doesn’t. And then with the more minor repairs, I have the kids watching and learning too.

slowmover

Sideband is where Dad calls in from seventy miles out and sets the kids to monitoring Upper 15 to note time when Dads TX comes clear.

Landmark-to-Landmark.